Another price increase

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was responding to TK421's post above where he raised speed as a potentual difference between 'practice' & 'competition' cartridges.

I agree with the comments regarding speed with a few exceptions at the extremes - shoot an Xcomp after a World Cup and you will notice a change in lead.

My question was why practice with a difference cartridge to the one you use on the day - Any speed variation is, to me, a disadvantage. Are there any other advantages ?. Why not just use the cheap one all the time partiocularly as the top end stuff appears to have received the greatest price rise.
Lots of difference between between cartridges to make a difference in terms of recoil and pattern. Speed is the least important element I would say. 

I used to shoot with the cheapest cartridges I could buy but I now only shoot good quality cartridges. I am using Trust right now T4 super trap which were bought through the club at 216€ (£184) per thou . I don't use many cartridges probably 150 per week so I use good quality mainly because they are much softer than cheap thumpers. I think I may be paying slightly less than UK prices I don't know but when I go to Lonato for a holiday I always bag up on carts because the very best T4 pro carts are really cheap there. Like Will I think the cartridge speed thing is not really that relevant in actually hitting the target but I do think that it helps break a target that is a bit more distant or perhaps one you only got a few pellets on.

I used to shoot with the cheapest cartridges I could buy but I now only shoot good quality cartridges. I am using Trust right now T4 super trap which were bought through the club at 216€ (£184) per thou . I don't use many cartridges probably 150 per week so I use good quality mainly because they are much softer than cheap thumpers. I think I may be paying slightly less than UK prices I don't know but when I go to Lonato for a holiday I always bag up on carts because the very best T4 pro carts are really cheap there. Like Will I think the cartridge speed thing is not really that relevant in actually hitting the target but I do think that it helps break a target that is a bit more distant or perhaps one you only got a few pellets on.
£184 per thousand, which I presume is for a top end cartridge. If that was the case over here ,I dont think this discussion thread would be happening.  😁😁

£184 per thousand, which I presume is for a top end cartridge. If that was the case over here ,I dont think this discussion thread would be happening.  😁😁
£184 that's well expensive I pay £183 not sure if they are top end though. They give you a good thumping.

Trust are a Spanish cartridge and they are good the T4 pro super trap is one of their top cartridges so €216 or about £184 ish is really good value. Rio are another cartridge made in Spain that I use from time to time the Star Team Evo is their top cartridge and I pay about €228 or £194  per thousand for those.  In Italy cartridges are stupidly inexpensive, cheap call it what you will when  compared to prices in the UK and even France.  Fiocchi  official trap were  about  €62 a carton or £210 per thousand JC are currently asking £254 but as I say that was over a year ago I was last in Italy .

Re practice with a “different cartridge” sometimes its been a stark choice of having too, nowt to do with cash, virtually all of the practice near home is now “fibre wad only” and two that have multi day practice and put on reg shoots have no wad restrictions for comp. Having stockpiled a fair few plaswads yonks ago & before my regular haunt went “fibre only” Id shoot there at least once a week, thats now once a month (tbf the place had become rather stale and at times unwelcoming so might have tailed off anyway). Would add that at my level one (apart from recoil) cannot really notice any difference in cartridge performance. 

Had to stock up again last week - Hull clay and game carts seem to have really jumped - 28g fibre sovereign at £305 and the 34g HPE #4 well over £400 - its expensive missing these days !!

I might change my clay carts to a cheaper option - looks like the delta within them is not pretty big

Had to stock up again last week - Hull clay and game carts seem to have really jumped - 28g fibre sovereign at £305 and the 34g HPE #4 well over £400 - its expensive missing these days !!

I might change my clay carts to a cheaper option - looks like the delta within them is not pretty big
Agreed, I went to the Hull Pro Ones, then onto the superfasts for clays, in all honesty other than the psychological effect, there isn’t much between them in how they hit. The pros were very nice, smooth, quality, but the SUperfast still hit with the same impact.

Pretty soon, the cartridge manufacturers will be pricing themselves out of the market.  Fewer people will be shooting as often, and new shooters will just not take up the sport.  Sad times.

Agreed, I went to the Hull Pro Ones, then onto the superfasts for clays, in all honesty other than the psychological effect, there isn’t much between them in how they hit. The pros were very nice, smooth, quality, but the SUperfast still hit with the same impact.
what are you paying for those per K if you don’t mind me asking - will probably make a change once I use up the Sovereigns 

what are you paying for those per K if you don’t mind me asking - will probably make a change once I use up the Sovereigns 
Superfast plastic £209/1000 think fibre is £217/1000

Pretty soon, the cartridge manufacturers will be pricing themselves out of the market.  Fewer people will be shooting as often, and new shooters will just not take up the sport.  Sad times.
It isn’t showing at the shooting grounds and comps yet. In fact it’s busier than ever. Loads of surplus cash about at the minute. I’m sure it will change at some point but don’t see it happening anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn’t showing at the shooting grounds and comps yet. In fact it’s busier than ever. Loads of surplus cash about at the minute. I’m sure it will change at some point but don’t see it happening anytime soon.
That is good to hear!  I'm just looking at it from the medium to long term perspective.  Perhaps a move to steel shot may keep prices at bay if lead prices are an issue.  They seem to be the main excuse for raising prices (and never lowering them when lead goes down).

Scarcity and rising prices here too now, alas. Just had an email announcing a 5-10% hike, depending on brand / type. Gamebore is hard to even come by for the trade, apparently. Yikes 😬

As other, in this neck of the woods most of the registered sporting shoots are “rammed” to almost bursting point, most straw balers too. What’s also noticeable is the increase in young boys / men / women partaking also. Shooting clays has never been “cheap” compared to most recreational sports, it does though have a call that drags us to it. Virtually everything increases in cost over time, the vast majority of us will continue, will the cost ever increase to make shooting too expensive? That I doubt party due the amount of grounds that are businesses and need & will find a way to keep getting the revenue. 

As other, in this neck of the woods most of the registered sporting shoots are “rammed” to almost bursting point, most straw balers too. What’s also noticeable is the increase in young boys / men / women partaking also. Shooting clays has never been “cheap” compared to most recreational sports, it does though have a call that drags us to it. Virtually everything increases in cost over time, the vast majority of us will continue, will the cost ever increase to make shooting too expensive? That I doubt party due the amount of grounds that are businesses and need & will find a way to keep getting the revenue. 
As I mentioned earlier I’m seeing the same around here also. 
id also add there’s still a lot of surplus cash/spend at the minute so people are wanting to get outdoors and have some fun, clay shooting is just the ticket. When holidays are back and furlough ends completely I think we will see a down turn in the numbers from the ‘have a go’ shooters. Not sure if or when that will happen or even if prices will fall to be honest, trying to make sense of the economics at the minute is pure guesswork. 

I agree that many will make use of the summer and any free cash saved up from a lack of affordable holidays. That is my mentally in terms of the costs - I can easily bear the increase given an expectations of worse weather and restrictions to come.

Given the (new) license situation however I do wonder how many new shooters there will be in a years time.

In Leicestreshire the Comps do book up and the grounds are busier with a few groups shotting with a couple of guns. Most though are the usual suspects (!!) though I am aware of some of my "country" friends moving back to clay shooting given the situation overall.

load youre own including your own shot £2.50 a box

load youre own including your own shot £2.50 a box
That sounds quite cheap… Also curious as to where you source which components and in what volume, at what prices. I don’t think I could anywhere near that even if sourcing in bulk. 

i get my lead for free thats the biggest cost buy cbs5 in bulk also primers and wads

Back