Time for a treat

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all of your suggestions and feedback-it’s really appreciated. As Will points out a question that is open ended.

I agree with Pux that my 525 is purely functional, I don’t have that “polishing my rare sports car” feeling when I’m cleaning it.

To answer Will’s question (performance versus emotion) I’ll happily take an improvement on 85/100 but my driver is to have a little more emotional attachment/pride with the gun. So going with a high end 525 initially makes sense as it should shoot/fit similar to what I already have.

However all of the other suggestions do “look” lovely (thanks for the photos and links).

I guess if I had the money I would commit to a Perazzi vip custom fit gun at the factory trip-so truly built for me and chosen by me.

Would be interested to understand from the shooters on here did you regret changing/“upgrading” from your first gun, or did it tick the emotional response box and performance box?

Thanks all
It just so happens that I upgraded from effectively my first gun which was a 525! I bought a K80 and I reckon it slowed my progress for 18months until I sold it. I then bought a Perazzi which didn’t fit. I should probably have kept my 525 😆

It just so happens that I upgraded from effectively my first gun which was a 525! I bought a K80 and I reckon it slowed my progress for 18months until I sold it. I then bought a Perazzi which didn’t fit. I should probably have kept my 525 😆
Had a friend that done the same made a big jump for his 2nd gun and missed all the baby steps and slowed him down. He ended up back with a miroku and shot much better

I agree with Pux that my 525 is purely functional, I don’t have that “polishing my rare sports car” feeling when I’m cleaning it.
Yep, I totally get this.

That's why I have some that I don't use that often.

just nice things and to appreciate the build quality and effort it took to produce them. Such as it took someone 5 days just to Engrave the Browning B25 I have.

Last edited:
for me the Ultra was my fourth gun! And the only one I saved hard for, I loved it, I shot well with it by my standards. Do I regret it, no but I wish I was well off enough to keep it alongside my CG! Every time I use my CG I smile, I enjoy the how lively it is. Currently it ticks all my boxes.
Best to get rid, make sure the set up on your new gun is similar to your browning, stick with your guerini it’s the one that gives you most pleasure!!
I shot a miroku mk 38 trap for years, once I bit the bullet and purchased my K80, never ever shot my Miroku again at a clay. And moved it on soon after!
took me 2 years to get into my krieghoff and a bit of a backward step. But wouldn’t be without it now.
hope it all works for you 👊

Reactions: pux
Best to get rid, make sure the set up on your new gun is similar to your browning, stick with your guerini it’s the one that gives you most pleasure!!
I shot a miroku mk 38 trap for years, once I bit the bullet and purchased my K80, never ever shot my Miroku again at a clay. And moved it on soon after!
took me 2 years to get into my krieghoff and a bit of a backward step. But wouldn’t be without it now.
hope it all works for you 👊
The ultra is gone already🤙🏻I’m not a comp shooter just a social (I’m to chicken to enter a comp) I’ve only had the CG a couple of weeks, loving it. This one will be a keeper, I’m on the lookout soon for another semi auto for pigeons. 🤙🏻

No regrets in upgrading from a Beretta 692 to a DT11. The opposite rather, I regret not having done it sooner. Not because I dislike the 692, but because I did find that the differences took time to get used to, so I could have been "on par" sooner. Same as some, I kept the former as a spare and loaner. While they are tools, they both "spark joy" which is a good mindset to start with. Enjoy whatever you pick.

Reactions: pux
No regrets in upgrading from a Beretta 692 to a DT11. The opposite rather, I regret not having done it sooner. Not because I dislike the 692, but because I did find that the differences took time to get used to, so I could have been "on par" sooner. Same as some, I kept the former as a spare and loaner. While they are tools, they both "spark joy" which is a good mindset to start with. Enjoy whatever you pick.
Having shot for over 50+ years and owned most of the big names and ending up with Browning, but the one gun l look back with great fondness was my Preazzi MX3 C with 27.5" barrels. Don't know why but l enjoyed shooting that gun so much and regret trading it in some 30 odd years ago!

Having shot for over 50+ years and owned most of the big names and ending up with Browning, but the one gun l look back with great fondness was my Preazzi MX3 C with 27.5" barrels. Don't know why but l enjoyed shooting that gun so much and regret trading it in some 30 odd years ago!
What's holding you back from finding another? Funds allowing, find a nice one and retrieve those sparks.

At least with CG they pick up the phone if you want advice/spares/ have problems. Unlike a lot of the other well known brands that everyone says buy as you 'won't loose a lot when you sell it' 😄

I can’t offer much advice on which gun to buy but I can help with Premier Guns. I would say there gun buying service is quite poor. Very unprofessional, not very initiative driven when browsing and considering they are based on a clay ground they don’t even watch and offer advice when gun testing. I feel they need someone of age running the show as it feels like a crèche.

I also went to Ian Coleys and this was a superb gun buying service. Attentive, came and watched me demo to give advice and check fit properly.

I can’t offer much advice on which gun to buy but I can help with Premier Guns. I would say there gun buying service is quite poor. Very unprofessional, not very initiative driven when browsing and considering they are based on a clay ground they don’t even watch and offer advice when gun testing. I feel they need someone of age running the show as it feels like a crèche.

I also went to Ian Coleys and this was a superb gun buying service. Attentive, came and watched me demo to give advice and check fit properly.
Perhaps Premier Guns at Doveridge are missing the knowledge and inspirational presence of Matthew Morgan, now of The Eastfield Gunroom, his practical understanding and depth of experience with all aspects of shotgun related interests, most especially Miroku and Browning and Beretta, but encompasses all other brands, is insurmountable……..

I also went to Ian Coleys and this was a superb gun buying service. Attentive, came and watched me demo to give advice andwr fit properly.
I have no experience of Premier Guns, Coleys however one does, and mine and a fair few others that I know had times where it fell well short of yours

Begs the question, where do I go to buy a gun that I know will be properly fitted correctly and I can shoot at the grounds rather than as Will says point at the shop clock?
When I buy golf clubs they are fitted to my swing speed, loft, height, lie, grip size and all sorts of other things -the golf pro would be with me for 2 hrs for measuring and then another 1 hr on delivery to ensure all is good - this is fairly standard for a good golf pro shop and "part" of the club price.
It seems buying a gun is more a gamble on which shop you go to and then which member of staff is assigned to you. I don't want to pay good money for a gun unless its the right gun for me.
So any suggestions on a good gun fitting store??
Or do i just buy a gun with an adjustable comb and have a "play" in the mirror and the shooting ground?

Begs the question, where do I go to buy a gun that I know will be properly fitted correctly and I can shoot at the grounds rather than as Will says point at the shop clock?
When I buy golf clubs they are fitted to my swing speed, loft, height, lie, grip size and all sorts of other things -the golf pro would be with me for 2 hrs for measuring and then another 1 hr on delivery to ensure all is good - this is fairly standard for a good golf pro shop and "part" of the club price.
It seems buying a gun is more a gamble on which shop you go to and then which member of staff is assigned to you. I don't want to pay good money for a gun unless its the right gun for me.
Or do i just buy a gun with an adjustable comb and have a "play" in the mirror and the shooting ground?
It depends on how experienced a shooter you are. If you’ve been shooting well for years, then you will be far more of an exact science, with a consistent mount, good stance, personal preferences developed etc so can get a gun made (or selected) absolutely to your needs in theory. If you are not that sure what a good gun fit is, then ironically you are likely not ready to have a detailed gun fit done, as you will change over time with experience anyway. So, I would be initially looking for a basically good gun fit that you can go and learn with. But yes you need somebody to look at you, make sure you are stood well and that the basics of length and comb position are close. Adjustable comb a great idea IMO. I can’t say exactly where to go, but any decent shop should have somebody who can check the fit well enough, even if you insist on getting two people to see you (If you suspect the first shop assistant is winging it). Chief Instructor is the fella I’d be after, rather than gun shop manager.

Last edited:
Cheryl Hall sorted out the gun fit issue I didn't even know that I had. I was suffering from worsening trigger flinch that I thought was all mental. Turns out it was primarily caused by the poor fit of my stock - rolling my hand around because it didn't fit and pull up on the trigger more than back. Sorted now that I have a custom sized grip. She travels around and coaches at loads of different places, maybe book her for somewhere that has a gun shop with a big selection. Coleys, Mendip or Doveridge come to mind.

That's the experience of buying new made to measure golf clubs, sadly there are very few grounds where you can go to have a fit taken and then sent away to have a made to measure shotgun, and in the vast majority of cases these guns will all be made abroad. Most new guns are bought off the shelf and its highly probable that new gun will have been made to fit Mr or Mrs Standard build whereas very very few of us (if any) are so and it will need work on to fit you, how much work, the time away and added cost is all to the individual, most of us can shoot an off the shelf gun as well as, but you are always going to seek more.

As with any service if you don't feel at all confident in what you are hearing, walk away. As for recommendations, ask in the circles you shoot in & with, most of us keyboard tappers mean well but there is no substitute from hearing it from someone you know / have confidence in.

Some sound advice from members!!
As Will said if your experienced enough you know roughly what your looking for!!
For Gun fit Ben Husthwaite is the guy I’d go to,
but Cheryl Hall another who certainly knows her stuff!!

I’m having a similar hankering myself. Went to my local purveyor of fine guns thinking I’d really like a Krieghoff or Perazzi and being completely honest, I was a little disappointed that they didn’t grab me more. Actually the guns that I did quite like were a couple of the new Brownings with quite ornate receivers.

Perhaps I can chuck in my 60 years of experience here, possibly saving you some money and CERTAINLY a lof of heartache.
I have been down the road of 'I must have a head turning gun' ! I did the Beretta SO 5, Perazzi 2000s, EELL thing, usually costing me a fair bit of money between each. Problem being, after approximately a year of each, and not being able to shoot any of them to the standard of my old Miroku 3800, I finally found success in the Prosport. I had shot that gun reasonably well for some 2 years (similar scores to yourself) and like you, do no longer shoot Competitions. However, last year, as I am getting closer to the big 80, having had a couple of minor strokes and a knackered shoulder, I was finding fatigue becoming a problem. I was missing more targets on the last 4 or 5 stands on a 100 bird shoot than enough. On 1 shoot I dropped 17 birds off the final 4 stands ! I then met an old acquaintance who said he was packing up shooting. I had taken him to buy his first gun back in 1992. He asked if I would help him sell the gun. When I saw the gun and its condition I just had to buy it. A Classic Doubles Trap gun with 2 sets of woodwork, Sporting and Trap. It was still with the original cardboard boxes and sales receipt. Also 360 of the original 1000 cartridges he bought with the gun. Suffice it to say, my ProSport has been traded for a 525 SL, my Grandson's 21st prezzie, I am shooting the CD, which weighs 8 lbs exactly, my scores are creeping back up and if has cost me £500 ! Last week I shot a friends new K80, yes I straighted the stand we were on, but I had just done the same with my gun costing £14000 less. If you are shooting the scores you quoted with a 525, then I would go for a side plated Browning or Miroku, that should tick the 'bling' box too ! Good luck with your quest.

Latest posts

Back