Another price increase

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aris, I think you may be right. Just looking at the DTL specific cartridges by Hull. Gamebore and Eley all within a pound or two per thousand of each other. Coincidence or agreement? 
Either coincidence, or they have conducted extensive research into their customers wants, needs and other factors: Apparently they have concluded that DTL shooters are all…. Very likeminded 😄

My belief was that the additional duty was on items/products assembled from parts from sources from outside the country of  production. Just How many parts are there in a Wad? 

Some of the high end stuff must be approaching £300 quite soon. I wonder if people will still buy these high end brands or will they disappear as the majority move to cheaper alternatives.

Some of the high end stuff must be approaching £300 quite soon. I wonder if people will still buy these high end brands or will they disappear as the majority move to cheaper alternatives.
Gamebore black gold clay carts 28 gram are £296 per thou at my local shop, that's pretty pricey. I only shoot the velocity plus and I think they're £212 a thou now, but still a lot cheaper than black gold.

Been out shooting this morning to a ground were most shooters go through a fair amount of shells. Just about everyone mentioned their preferred cartridge of whatever brand seems to be £250 ish or more. They all intended to explore cheaper alternatives,  and certainly buy cheaper for practice.

If you buy cheaper cartridges for practice what are the more expensive ones adding on the day ?

It can't be speed so what is it ?

Why not speed? Some of the more premium carts have higher velocity. 
nicer packaging and more brass. Smoother shooting and less recoil, better antimony, better wad system. 

the question should be is it worth it over cheaper ones for practice ? 
money no object buy what you can afford at whatever price point 👍🏻

There is no point buying cartridges for practice with a different speed to those you plan to use on the day.

The lead will change rendering the practice next to useless.

There is no point buying cartridges for practice with a different speed to those you plan to use on the day.

You may be right, but you’re a better shooter than me if you can measure the difference.

Think about it. Your competition load leaves the muzzle at 1400fps. Your training load is a fraction slower at 1350fps. The performance difference isn’t even discernible and I’d suggest, if your’e dropping targets there’s many more likely faults to consider than the speed of your cartridge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, I really disagree with the speed thing, especially as difference in muzzle velocity  is eroded down range. And even if it wasn’t, it usually calculates to inches of lead at distance. 

However I agree that different cartridges for practice can be unhelpful mainly from a mental point of view for some people. The high majority of cartridges work perfectly well in terms of breaking clays, but how the break looks, felt recoil and even noise can become a distraction and disturb confidence for some. A good cartridge is one you can forget about. I once had a box of shells that actually had a couple with different colour cases. I missed the target after dropping a grey one in the gun (as opposed to the usual blue). Brain was just distracted. 

You may be right, but you’re a better shooter than me if you can measure the difference.

Think about it. Your competition load leaves the muzzle at 1400fps. Your training load is a fraction slower at 1350fps. The performance difference isn’t even discernible and I’d suggest, if your’e dropping targets there’s many more likely faults to consider than the speed of your cartridge.
I think most people can detect different recoil levels. I can also detect the difference in sound between plastic and fibre. That's where it ends for me. Infact I once won a slab of some super duper very top end eley titanium strikes. Shot 25 expecting something special, but left thinking,what's all the fuss about. I have also tried a few other top end cartridges, my conclusion being, how do they justify the price difference against some others of their range.

I was responding to TK421's post above where he raised speed as a potentual difference between 'practice' & 'competition' cartridges.

I agree with the comments regarding speed with a few exceptions at the extremes - shoot an Xcomp after a World Cup and you will notice a change in lead.

My question was why practice with a difference cartridge to the one you use on the day - Any speed variation is, to me, a disadvantage. Are there any other advantages ?. Why not just use the cheap one all the time partiocularly as the top end stuff appears to have received the greatest price rise.

My question was why practice with a difference cartridge to the one you use on the day - Any speed variation is, to me, a disadvantage. Are there any other advantages ?. Why not just use the cheap one all the time partiocularly as the top end stuff appears to have received the greatest price rise.
I think it’s a fair point, I’m guessing it would primarily be down to costs. I genuinely believe the patterning is better on the higher antimony and high velocity cartridges, which are usually higher in price also. There is also the option to switch to higher end/velocity cartridges for more ranged targets that you may struggle with budget or slower cartridges, but YMMV. 

Latest posts

Back