Shotgun Cartridge Price Increases - 7-12% From 22nd Febuary

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not only cartridges but Clay's have been creeping up at many grounds. As a ball park figure if you pay £200 for a reasonable cartridge and £30 for 100 clays. Anyone doing 100 practice during week and 100 on a weekend , is going to get an annual cost of £5000 then add travel costs etc and it's easy to see why clay shooting is not that tempting to many younger people
200 birds a week... Wish I could afford that! 🤪

Last edited by a moderator:
200 birds a week... Wish I could afford that! 🤪
Most shooters I know do quite a lot more than that. I have not been shooting that long and I thought it was the norm. I have at least 35 miles ride to my nearest preferred ground and much more to others I like to use. Cant see the point of doing all that travelling just to shoot a couple boxes.

Dont do Sunday morning straw bailers although plenty much nearer 

Not only cartridges but Clay's have been creeping up at many grounds. As a ball park figure if you pay £200 for a reasonable cartridge and £30 for 100 clays. Anyone doing 100 practice during week and 100 on a weekend , is going to get an annual cost of £5000 then add travel costs etc and it's easy to see why clay shooting is not that tempting to many younger people

I know I live in France and shooting is run very differently but I cannot understand why the cost of clays can be going up? I have been shooting at the same club for 8 years and in that time the cost of targets has not changed it is still €14 for 100 targets . Now our club will get through nowhere near as many targets as a big shooting ground in the UK so there is not the economy of scale saving these big grounds will be getting so why the hell are you paying more than twice what I am for targets ?

I know I live in France and shooting is run very differently but I cannot understand why the cost of clays can be going up? I have been shooting at the same club for 8 years and in that time the cost of targets has not changed it is still €14 for 100 targets . Now our club will get through nowhere near as many targets as a big shooting ground in the UK so there is not the economy of scale saving these big grounds will be getting so why the hell are you paying more than twice what I am for targets ?
From what I can gather prices in the north are lower than the south. Some grounds in Yorkshire charge 35p some in the south even more. Think Clay's are 6p each so charging about 24p to put them in the air seems a good business model. I am sure people will be along shortly to defend the clay grounds and their charging policy 😁

From what I can gather prices in the north are lower than the south. Some grounds in Yorkshire charge 35p some in the south even more. Think Clay's are 6p each so charging about 24p to put them in the air seems a good business model. I am sure people will be along shortly to defend the clay grounds and their charging policy 😁

Of course grounds have to turn a profit otherwise they cannot stay open . The other thing about my club situation is there is nobody having to be paid it is an association so we can cut costs  . However we make enough out of charging  €0.14 per clay to be confident enough to invested nearly 30 thousand euros on five new traps for the UT layout . 

Of course grounds have to turn a profit otherwise they cannot stay open . The other thing about my club situation is there is nobody having to be paid it is an association so we can cut costs  . However we make enough out of charging  €0.14 per clay to be confident enough to invested nearly 30 thousand euros on five new traps for the UT layout . 
£/€ that's 12p a clay and the pound is weak at the moment. Think you would be hard pushed to find a DTL layout in the UK for double that, never mind UT. 

£/€ that's 12p a clay and the pound is weak at the moment. Think you would be hard pushed to find a DTL layout in the UK for double that, never mind UT. 
As I say though we are an association so nobody to pay and we only have three layouts a OT , UT and PC which is fairly small and uses two of the traps in the OT . I can understand that the grounds you shoot at need to make a profit for the people investing in the enterprise but 30 pence a clay is robbery. I shoot at Lonato from time to time and they charge  €0.32 per clay but the cartridges are dirt cheap and it is probably the best trap shooting ground in Europe. By the time I take into account the cheap cartridges the cost of shooting is not that much different to my overall payout at my club... but Lonato is a super ground so actually better value!

Jwpz9r

Quite interesting and enlightening . 

Any how back to cartridge prices, if general increase is the highest scenario, I wonder if you will continue to see the DTL shooters blasting away at the fragments  😊

I expect the trap disciplines are cheaper due to,

• Less traps needed and needing maintentance, cages, etc.
  • Less (rental) land compared to sporting, Fitasc, etc
  • More use of the traps.
It would intresting to know what the actual cost of the clay is when bought in bulk.

I'm Interested in input on this point - do small associations or members clubs charge a higher membership rate ?.

I've often gone to Sporting Targets and shot the towers and come away realising thats where the extra money went - I accept the extra cost to shoot something I don't see everyday.

I expect the trap disciplines are cheaper due to,

• Less traps needed and needing maintentance, cages, etc.
  • Less (rental) land compared to sporting, Fitasc, etc
  • More use of the traps.
It would intresting to know what the actual cost of the clay is when bought in bulk.

I'm Interested in input on this point - do small associations or members clubs charge a higher membership rate ?.

I've often gone to Sporting Targets and shot the towers and come away realising thats where the extra money went - I accept the extra cost to shoot something I don't see everyday.
Nothing cheap about shooting OT there are 15 traps in one setup ! Fair enough they are static only changed when the scheme is changed. We own the land so no land rent to pay but you are right these things have to be paid for.

The cost of a clay? I really do not know but it was said by another poster 6 pence? I pay an annual subscription of 25 euro there are thirty odd members at our club. None club members pay a higher price but still only €5 for 25 targets. One other thing, to enter the French championship a shooter must have shot in the league's annual league clubs championship this costs €45... any shooter who shoots in the league championship has his entry fee paid for him so as to encourage people to shoot in the league cup.

The tower on our PC is not that high maybe 15m but where the targets are shot from adds another 10m to that because of the way the land falls away. Sporting PC is not popular at all and I seldom see it shot at the club. Again though you are right these constructions are not cheap and some of them are mighty high at big shooting grounds.

BACK ON TOPIC

Has anyone heard of a price increase being announced by a UK manufacturer.  A contact I know raised the price increase question to  a sales person at Eley yesterday . He was informed that nothing had happened .

Could this be ' just cartridges'  trying to prime the market for an increase to recoup trading losses during covid. I can get cartridges far cheaper than just cartridges from numerous sources so I suspect their business model is suffering hard times.

Yup, went in a local shop this afternoon who told me that yesterday they had paid half their bill off with Gamebore and said that they didn't mention a thing about future pricing/costs. Usually they would if something potential in the pipeline so they're fairly confident of no movement. 

Not only Just Cartridges, have seen Orston SG advising that cartridge price rise is on way, whilst JC have quite a broad range Orston only mention Hull, Gamebore, Express and Mirage, Salopian has a chum who has already felt the pinch of a significant rise in buying Fiocchi. Chum enquired with JC, ruse or not the chap (and it’s quite an impressive facility) has negligible remaining stock of clay cartridges. 

With less expenditure due to lockdown perhaps people have been stock pilling cartridges ready for when we can shoot again. I have, not thousands but the odd slab now and again, same with a few others I shoot with.

The place I get mine from seem to have a quick turn around of stock, and in fact the price has dropped by a few pounds a slab since lockdown, then again I'm not shooting the top end stuff

It's been noted that while some people have struggled financially during the last year others have saved quite a bit. Some businesses are getting ready to make the most of this when it is unleashed. it expected prices will initially jump for lots of products  when the the pent up urge to spend kicks in.  I'll be hanging back and won't be at the car show room etc for a while yet. Nor will I be trying to shoot the last 2 - 3 months of cartridges i've saved in a single month.

If the cost goes up or not, once you have shot through what you have, you will be paying whatever your chosen cartridge costs, simple. You then have options, buy a cheaper cartridge, shoot less, or sell up and buy a fishing rod.😮. As probably mentioned before, the cost is highly unlikely to ever come down, so we just have to bite the bullet, so to speak.🙄

Roll on the end of lockdown, I have 1800 to get through before I have to think about it.😊

Roll on the end of lockdown, I have 1800 to get through before I have to think about it.😊

I have 1750 sitting in the workshop and have just ordered another 2000 but I won't be shooting until after I have been vaccinated so that will be sometime in June I would think... strangely enough I have just been investing in some new fishing gear.

I ordered a couple thousand more in the end, which should be turning up next week.. as spoke to my local gun shop and advised there prices are going up.. will have over 6000 now.. should keep me going for while once we all return to normal after lockdown !

So got official price increases for what I shoot.

price increase per 1000,

Prices before

Power gold plastic 28g 7.5 - £226
Power gold fibre 28g 7.5 - £235
Power blue plastic 28g 7.5 - £203
Power blue fibre 28g 7.5 - £214

Prices now 

Power gold plastic 28g 7.5 - £243
Power gold fibre 28g 7.5 - £253
Power blue plastic 28g 7.5 - £222
Power blue fibre 28g 7.5 - £233

So got official price increases for what I shoot.

price increase per 1000,

Prices before

Power gold plastic 28g 7.5 - £226
Power gold fibre 28g 7.5 - £235
Power blue plastic 28g 7.5 - £203
Power blue fibre 28g 7.5 - £214

Prices now 

Power gold plastic 28g 7.5 - £243
Power gold fibre 28g 7.5 - £253
Power blue plastic 28g 7.5 - £222
Power blue fibre 28g 7.5 - £233
If that's the new price on JC's website, then it only looks like Lyalvale Express have gone up at the moment. Eley, Gamebore and Hull are still at the old price. No doubt they will follow suit shortly though.

Latest posts

Back