Another price increase for cartridges at end of January

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought, if cost is an issue, if registered comps were 50 instead of 100 would more people shoot.
Well that's something I would vote for. Don't shoot registered anymore at my age I find it too many and more scores drop off on the last 50. If my local grounds offered 50 then I would shoot them.
I shoot trap and I don't see a problem running a 50 bird comp alongside the standard 100 bird comp.

People only have a limited budget so when prices increase they shoot less,look at the numbers attending registered shoots ?
Have no idea where you are form or which grounds you think are having problems, in this neck of the woods, despite increases in virtually everything reg shoots are selling out, and yes even in this wet & wild winter

It's not hard to find out. A ground could easily run a 50 or 75 bird along side the 100 to test the take up. My local ground does this offering 60 80 or 100 targets. Shot over the same course. Even easier with reg because you have refs to manage it at the stands.
Bet no ground tries it though.
Am aware Oxfordshire offer 50 targets, the first six stands on the reg course, though it was mooted / rumoured / gossiped that one wily old sage did ask if he could pick the stands!

Am aware Oxfordshire offer 50 targets, the first six stands on the reg course, though it was mooted / rumoured / gossiped that one wily old sage did ask if he could pick the stands!
Yep. So where is the publicity. 🤷🙄

It was the recoil on my wallet rather than my shoulder that made me change to 24g.
I have checked several price lists for cartridges and it seems the difference between 24 gr and 28 could be as little as £2 per thousand to app£14 hardly earth shattering savings.

I bet many grounds would if you asked.
Fear its can of worms though, and as before would need regulating / stands picked or you'd soon get lots of chaps trying to select the "steady" stands, as for pricing a ground owner could rightly point to his fixed overheads in setting up stands for 100 targets and the 12/13 refs who would all want paying for their time, how much of a "saving" anyone would expect?

Fear its can of worms though, and as before would need regulating / stands picked or you'd soon get lots of chaps trying to select the "steady" stands, as for pricing a ground owner could rightly point to his fixed overheads in setting up stands for 100 targets and the 12/13 refs who would all want paying for their time, how much of a "saving" anyone would expect?
I reckon the 50 target thing would need to be not registered.

Just going back to the recoil issue, I spent 17 years running a shooting ground. This involved usually 2 people, running a 'line' on DTL and Compak. One buttoned and one scored. When buttoning I often watched the Shooter and NOT the target. Regardless of gunfit, a standard 12 bore cartridge load will recoil one hell of a lot, some more than others. I am not talking 'perceived ' recoil here, BUT the degree of actual rearward movement of the gun. It is a short, but sharp thump. Whenever people are watching somebody shooting, their eyes are riveted to the target, or gun/target relationship. If you watch the shooters shoulder and nothing else, the degree of 'shock' imparted to the shoulder, is eye watering.

And that's why I suggested this www.shockmaster.com/home-ad.html or the UK equivalent. I have clients that use them and now wouldn't use anything else. For some, no amount of gun-fitting can prevent what turns out to be an unpleasant experience and in some cases, be detrimental to a detached retina injury. Although the recoil won't cause that problem, a recoil reducing stock can it can help if it exists.

Last edited:
The biggest cost in a cartridge is lead.In 2014 it was $ 2095 a ton,today it is $2050 a ton. and take a look at other commodities coal $ 137 a ton ,l have just been quoted $800 a ton delivered.The sad fact is we are ripped off from the cradle to the grave l have no doubt this will result in many fine clay shoots closing.

The biggest cost in a cartridge is lead.In 2014 it was $ 2095 a ton,today it is $2050 a ton. and take a look at other commodities coal $ 137 a ton ,l have just been quoted $800 a ton delivered.The sad fact is we are ripped off from the cradle to the grave l have no doubt this will result in many fine clay shoots closing.
Not defending the cartridge manufacture but comparing 2014 to now is not really sensible. What price was powder and primers and plastic and metal and energy and wages in 2014 compared with today.

Not defending the cartridge manufacture but comparing 2014 to now is not really sensible. What price was powder and primers and plastic and metal and energy and wages in 2014 compared with today.
I would also guess that labour, utilities, insurance and general overheads make up a massive share of todays costs. Bulk lead won't be a massive percentage cost these days.

Perhaps some home loaders could give a guide as to how much it costs them to make a box of cartridges ?

Latest posts

Back