Another price increase

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what we are seeing is a not unexpected cartridge manufacturing industry taking advantage of positive market conditions? Seems a sensible thing to do after all there would be no point in them increasing prices of a product that has no buyers?
I think it’s a bit of both to be fair

Heavily dependent on how much you would charge for your own time ⏳💸
This was my worry… not giving up my shooting that’s for sure, no longer buying Pro Ones/white golds let’s put it that way 

There's a lot of companies nickname this country trasure island for a reason 😂

yeah sad news  ,  i know the experts say its a tiny increase  , but  people with children , mortgages , car to run etc     its all relative expense !!   as above not helping to recruit youngsters to our great sport !!   it wont help our sport going forward  long-term  !!!   
Problem is ,the tiny increase seems to be happening on all fronts and as you say people with lots of other outgoings are facing it on all fronts.It will have an effect on grounds ,how much is difficult to quantify....

I think once the doors open for holidays all the surplus cash people currently have will evaporate, we’ll  then see sales drop and demand reduce across the board especially in the housing development, building etc.. time will tell. 
love this sport but fear if this continues we’ll be seeing £300 for 1000 on its way soon. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we are being softened up for the price shift to non toxic eco wad …

I can only wait and see what prices will do this side of the Channel, but so far we've been spared any hikes. I had considered self-loading shotshells out of interest, but between the initial lay-out, the price of individual components and the time it would take me to load up a couple hundred shells I figured I'm better off practicing and spending the same money on shells and coaching. It won't 'protect' me from price increases, but if I need less shells to shoot (and hit) the same number of clays I'm sorted 😄

I can only wait and see what prices will do this side of the Channel, but so far we've been spared any hikes. I had considered self-loading shotshells out of interest, but between the initial lay-out, the price of individual components and the time it would take me to load up a couple hundred shells I figured I'm better off practicing and spending the same money on shells and coaching. It won't 'protect' me from price increases, but if I need less shells to shoot (and hit) the same number of clays I'm sorted 😄
this confirms that some of the cost increases are coming in from import duty, but as mentioned this would only add 2.7%, again outside of the 20% or so we've had added over the past 5 months. this now makes me believe its a supply/demand issue and they can charge what they want scenario as the industry could easily swallow the 2.7% increase in duty on some of the components used to build the cartridges. 

Think the saying is they're taking the P155 out of the customer as they no we have no other option.

Id also add that prices always increase and very rarely fall, think these inflated prices will be here to stay. lets hope a new company steps into the void making new more competitively priced cartridges into the mix, very doubtful. 

The big players no doubt have agreed this between themselves (off the record) in a bid to increase margins and recoup losses whilst in lock down. Furlough  anyone?

Shooting less = Less fun. 😁

Steve.

Shooting less = Less fun. 😁
It's a numbers game: If I shoot 200 cartridges to break 100 clays, I'm not as happy as when shooting a 110 cartridges to break 100 clays. In both cases I'll enjoy myself, but Mrs Luke can surely tell the difference when I get home 😁 

This from one manufacture, also import transport costs have risen significantly, due to Brexit and covid compliance.

Dear Customer
Most of you know that the majority of our components are sourced from Europe and packaging materials from the UK. All of these have seen this year dramatic cost increases. We are now at a point where we must issue our new price list July 2021.
Please find attached our new UK Trade Price List which becomes effective on all despatches from the factory on ….
Your ongoing support is much appreciated in these uncertain times, and we will envisage to despatch your orders as we receive them.
Our stock holding facilities will continue to provide prompt service to you our valued customers.
Yours sincerely

Let’s bring the manufacturing back to the UK, we’re so heavily embroiled in to the EU it’s no wonder the country is in the 💩

Let’s bring the manufacturing back to the UK, we’re so heavily embroiled in to the EU it’s no wonder the country is in the 💩
It’s not possible at a practical level. Components are sourced from across Europe. It’s just the sort of manufacturing model Brexit buggers up. To expect UK manufacturers to begin production of every component part would increase prices rather than lower them, particularly in the short term. 

Leaving the EU is one of several factors influencing a cartridge price rise and it’s not peculiar to the shooting sports. Prices are increasing in many areas, we’ve just not felt it too much as we still have unspent lockdown cash our pockets.

It not going to get better I’m afraid. Expect to pay £300 per 1000 for a competition load within 18 months.

It is very difficult to engage in a thread like this without saying... this is what was voted for! Although I will never accept that 52% vs 48% is sufficient grounds to extract a country from an extremely complex economic union the message from me a remainer is suck it up this is just one of many, many changes on the way. I don't doubt that Boris is out courting some ex foreign dominion members with a view to coming to Britain's aid in it hour of need🤣 There were so many lies told during that referendum that some who thought their lives and livelihoods were going to be enriched have now found the exact opposite to be true... take for example the issues faced by fish exporters.

Never mind we have a special relationship with the Untied States of America ... they say jump... we ask how high🤣  Bottom line the ordinary man in the street is going to find things a bit tougher for a long time to come while during that same period some fat arse tory is going to be scoring a fortune. However I am sorry for spouting on about it but the cost of cartridges is not something that is going to impact many there are far greater issues just around the corner I am certain of that.

It is very difficult to engage in a thread like this without saying... this is what was voted for! Although I will never accept that 52% vs 48% is sufficient grounds to extract a country from an extremely complex economic union the message from me a remainer is suck it up this is just one of many, many changes on the way. I don't doubt that Boris is out courting some ex foreign dominion members with a view to coming to Britain's aid in it hour of need🤣 There were so many lies told during that referendum that some who thought their lives and livelihoods were going to be enriched have now found the exact opposite to be true... take for example the issues faced by fish exporters.

Never mind we have a special relationship with the Untied States of America ... they say jump... we ask how high🤣  Bottom line the ordinary man in the street is going to find things a bit tougher for a long time to come while during that same period some fat arse tory is going to be scoring a fortune. However I am sorry for spouting on about it but the cost of cartridges is not something that is going to impact many there are far greater issues just around the corner I am certain of that.
So what do you put it down to for all the price rises whilst we were part of the EU prior to brexit, surely carts have been going up in price for ever, as have most things prior and after brexit, easy to use as a scapegoat, but judging by most cars parked in shooting grounds the cost of carts is just noise.

So what do you put it down to for all the price rises whilst we were part of the EU prior to brexit, surely carts have been going up in price for ever, as have most things prior and after brexit, easy to use as a scapegoat, but judging by most cars parked in shooting grounds the cost of carts is just noise.
I’m not getting pulled in to it mate, hence not replying to the ‘brexit’ did it BS post above yours. Realty is duty has gone from 0 to 2.7% on components, so that increase I’d expect. 20% in the last 5 months doesn’t add up. Was told today by buyer that Hull are struggling for raw materials (shot) nothing to do with Brexit, never has been or was.

10 minutes ago, TK421 said:Regarding how the economy is doing here in the uk, try getting any tradesman? All flat out busy, buy a used car or new for that matter? Every industry that’s back open is flat out, hospitality is rammed to capacity. I’d say we’re doing alright, but that’s not what this post was about. I’m sure there’s a brexit thread elsewhere for those that still want to harp on about leaving. It’s done, it’s over, time to move on, knuckle down and sort this shambles of a government out, just dot vote for any of the other idiots sat waiting for there turn. I absolutely Hate politics 

Just like 48% vs 52% isn't enough to remain - I voted remain by the way. So many lies on either side, look at Nissan for example

If it's an increase in the price of components plus import duty that have put up the price of UK manufactured cartridges then why have cartridges manufactured on the continent not suffered the same increase? They use the same components and are subject to the same duties if brought over here? Fiocchi and RC don't seem to have suffered the same level of price rise (yet anyway). I'm patriotic but not to the extant that I'm going to pay inflated prices for for shells made over here. Incidentally I wonder, tongue in cheek, if the new colour scheme for the Hull DTL is part justification for their price hike?  

A bit suspect if they all increase prices at the same time.  There is a lot of competition in the cartridge market - or so we think.  Is there a cartel?

If it is supply and demand, there could well be a impetus to produce components here.

A bit suspect if they all increase prices at the same time.  There is a lot of competition in the cartridge market - or so we think.  Is there a cartel?

If it is supply and demand, there could well be a impetus to produce components here.
You’re spot on here mate. 

Was told by someone very much in the know a long time ago, that for a long period of time, every snowboard made, regardless of make, was manufactured in one of 6 factories/companies houses and just marked up differently, in much the same way that Hyundai tv's are/were rebadged Toshiba models. May not be the case, but this goes on more than you think.

Latest posts

Back