Right handed Right eye dominant missing 25 yard L to R birds

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SP Clay

I have come across a worrying pattern both in comps and practise, I shoot RH and I am right eye dominant, but over the last couple of shoots have really noticed i am dropping simple L to R birds 25 yards out anything at distance is fine and anything to quick to see properly is fine. But the Essex masters highlighted a problem I have now replicated with my coach.

At the Essex there was a white clay flat L to R in the trees quick and just a blur really - swing and shoot I hit all four. But there was an earlier bird stand 2 on the red slow L to R looping type incomer missed two, then I also realised I missed numerous other L to R birds up to 20 and some of them soft targets. While as similar targets from the R I tend to kill all of them. I have since replicate this in practise hitting nearly every R to L bird but missed 10 x 25 - 30 yard L to R birds it was looking at this misses that the penny dropped ( well may be)

Has anyone else experienced such problems?

Current course of action is drop my gun out of my shoulder for these birds and let my Right eye pick the bird up easier. ( I shoot gun up for a lot of targets)

How's your feet? Very easy to pull the gun off the face on l-r for a righty, also very easy to drop the right shoulder if you run out of swing.

Another thought, hows the comb height? maybe your right eye is a bit low and is having problems looking across the rib so the left is taking up the slack a bit.

What did your Coach say? if you have now replicated it with him/her surely they have a better idea than someone who has never seen you shoot and is just making guesses.

Have a pop at skeet station 4, a known distance about where you are struggling, and both doing the same speed. Are you seeing/doing anything different with low (r-l) or high house (l-r)

A few stabs in the dark, but might help :)

One thing to consider if you are a right master eye shooter is the problem of transferring a left to right clay from the left eye to the right eye if you are cutting your eyes to the  left to pick up the clay. If you can only see the clay with your left eye when you first see it you will need to acquire it with your right eye to shoot it. This wastes valuable time . The best way to deal with this is to turn your head so that your nose points at the clay. This way the clay can be acquired by the right eye straight away .

I have come across a worrying pattern both in comps and practise, I shoot RH and I am right eye dominant, but over the last couple of shoots have really noticed i am dropping simple L to R birds 25 yards out anything at distance is fine and anything to quick to see properly is fine. But the Essex masters highlighted a problem I have now replicated with my coach.

At the Essex there was a white clay flat L to R in the trees quick and just a blur really - swing and shoot I hit all four. But there was an earlier bird stand 2 on the red slow L to R looping type incomer missed two, then I also realised I missed numerous other L to R birds up to 20 and some of them soft targets. While as similar targets from the R I tend to kill all of them. I have since replicate this in practise hitting nearly every R to L bird but missed 10 x 25 - 30 yard L to R birds it was looking at this misses that the penny dropped ( well may be)

Has anyone else experienced such problems?

Current course of action is drop my gun out of my shoulder for these birds and let my Right eye pick the bird up easier. ( I shoot gun up for a lot of targets)

I have gone through the exact same phase myself, it could of course have many different causes such as foot work, method, perceived lead not being correct, stock faults (highly improbable), address etc, but I personally believe it is likely to be a combination of insufficiently slick initial visual pick up which then leads to a haphazard tempo. In fact the exact opposite of what it is you do so well for the reverse birds which you smoke.

The only good news is you will climb out of it.

Thanks for your input, seeming to echo what we concluded the Left eye taking over - we noticed it on a simo pair fast L to R where the further bird was the one to take ( back bird) but i just couldn't get on it even though it felt like i was on it with everything correct. I felt uneasy on the shot but adapted and shot them a lot later putting the second bird at risk but hitting the first. ( n.b. T C comments) I then proposed I shot them the other way round as I felt the first bird looked easier to hit which i did quick then picked the second bird up and shot it.
Hamster the haphazard tempo did start to appear. But never on the R to L birds.
We ran through the various stuff you mentioned Fuzrat and the problem persisted so I think the Left eye is the issue, I won't be shooting for a week, but will try the techniques to get my right eye working. - i will report back
Steve

Remember on simmo pairs where you're forced to take the further bird first, they can need a surprising amount of lead but critically the line is very very difficult to assess consistently. This is because they're both almost certainly still climbing but won't look so. I too sometimes take the less obvious (closer) one first leaving the further needing to be shot with a tiny bit of lead and drop but plenty of choke. Sometimes it's better to play the percentages and hit 8 this way than miss 4 shooting it conventionally, this is what's meant by playing to your own strengths.

It may well be you just need to find your own sweet spots.

Wise words Hamster - I do listen to much sometimes and end up shooting stuff to convention rather than my strength - the pair we practised on probably justed helped to highlight the problem with my eyes, as a similar L to R bird (single) took 2 off me while earlier in the round and the first on that pair was a stinking L to R fast looper going away which I hit all 5 again the no time to assess, just move and shoot (hence getting rid of the eye issue) The slower bird then let me look at it which I fairly convinced then took my left eye - further practise will see !

Back