LH Eye Dominance

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ScotsMac 100% correct. The "aids" don't work. All they do is enhance the barrel in your peripheral vision in some way, just like the old duck hunters did in low light conditions with white chalk or crayons on their barrels.

I did experiments with a "glo bead" stuck on the side of my gun 30 years ago to "cure" my problem. It's the same principal but it absolutely will not cure a dominance problem 100%........ regardless of what some of the "inventors" tell you. For some, it "may" help but if you miss, how would you know if the miss was a result of the "off" eye kicking in momentarily? The answer is, you wouldn't, only completely occluding the off eye would guarantee to stop that 100%. That's why some swear they work for sporting clays but the top skeet shooters (where perfect scores are essential) never use them.

Last edited:
I am right handed but very left eye dominant. I tried shooting left handed, with a neutral cast gun, and immediately improved my scores. I have since bought a left hand gun, had it fitted, and am now as comfortable shooting left handed as I was right handed. It doesn't take long to get used to and is much less hassle than all the "aids" that "enable" shooting right handed with left eye dominance. Give it a try with a L/H school gun. You have nothing to lose.
You are absolutely right Scot, I’ve nothing to lose. Many thanks for your post

Once again, a big thank you to all of you. I am so grateful for all your help and advice.
Sadly my lesson was cancelled today, but maybe my new specs will arrive for next week

A lot of the aids work very very well, shooter dependent. There is no leading person on this just people with experience

I have euro and world champion using my device (I’m not saying it will work for you)

But seek the advice of a professional modern day coach not some internet wannabe.

Secondly there is no right hand or left hand guns there are guns that fit and guns that don’t.

Don’t buy into a fad. Seek one person at the top of this game and only listen to them

A lot of the aids work very very well, shooter dependent. There is no leading person on this just people with experience

I have euro and world champion using my device (I’m not saying it will work for you)

But seek the advice of a professional modern day coach not some internet wannabe.

Secondly there is no right hand or left hand guns there are guns that fit and guns that don’t.

Don’t buy into a fad. Seek one person at the top of this game and only listen to them
There is left and right casts on stocks making them left and right handed, also stocks with no cast favoured in the U.S. l believe, just saying.

Oldblaster. You are 100% correct by saying that. Of course there is, I know lots of gun manufacturers that produce left hand over and unders. But unfortunately, there are some that don't believe it.

There is left and right casts on stocks making them left and right handed, also stocks with no cast favoured in the U.S. l believe, just saying.
Couldn’t disagree more. It’s called cast on and cast off.

I’m right handed and would shoot what you call a left handed gun

There’s guns that fit and guns that don’t

Couldn’t disagree more. It’s called cast on and cast off.

There’s guns that fit and guns that don’t
We are all different, what ever works is ok

100% agree…

I’ve recently put a shotgun up for sale with my local firearm dealer only to find that its being advertised as ‘left handed’.

I’m right handed and the gun has a shallow right hand palm swell but, based on the slight cast, it‘s being advertised as left handed?

I’m not sure how this classification benefits anyone looking to potentially buy (or sell!) the gun.

H

Last edited:
Oldblaster. Some shooters may prefer to forget about palm swells, ergonomically designed top levers and ergonomically designed trigger pulls on LH shotguns. Blaser and Perazzi and many, many other manufacturers don't though. That's why here in the US they call them left handed shotguns. Perhaps you don't have them in the UK?

Last edited:
In terms of cast, I agree with Ben - it is incorrect to refer to it as left or hand handed as its a measurement from the straight irrespective of the shoulder shot from.

Palm swells are a personal choice and I would agree that they can (particularly when quite full) dictate the potential market for a particular gun - it's not nice using a right hand palm swell as a left handed shooter and I assume vice versa.

We do get some "true left hand" guns in the UK which have alternative opening top levers but the left handed shooters I know have got used to the RH opening system etc and its a pain to change.

Canted triggers are available but I would say have little to do with fit other than allowing the trigger to be moved forward a tad.

Freddy. I would like to explain if I may? I understand exactly what you are saying here and years ago David Florent from the Oxford Gun co. was saying the same thing, ie the only difference between a left and right shotgun is the cast. This is pure speculation on my part, but I think the reason was simple. At that time there were very few LH shotguns in the UK so if you were a lefty, you didn't have much of a choice. A left handed shotgun, although some were available, were scarce, virtually a mythical beast; you bought a right hand standard gun and had it altered it to fit.

Here in the US, due entirely to the increasing demand of shotguns for the lefties, a left eyed, left shouldered shot-gunner doesn't need to compromise by buying a shotgun that has the palm swell in the wrong place, safety in the wrong place, wrong cast, wrong ergonomically configured top lever and a trigger that is chamfered the wrong way and cuts into his finger during normal use. And of course a cast adjustment from a right to a left (depending on the individual) can often involve a lot of difference at toe and heel.

Old blaster said that he thought there were left and right handed shotguns here in the US, I was confirming that he was correct.

Last edited:
Freddy. I would like to explain if I may? I understand exactly what you are saying here and years ago David Florent from the Oxford Gun co. was saying the same thing, ie the only difference between a left and right shotgun is the cast. This is pure speculation on my part, but I think the reason was simple. At that time there were very few LH shotguns in the UK so if you were a lefty, you didn't have much of a choice. A left handed shotgun, although some were available, were scarce, virtually a mythical beast; you bought a right hand standard gun and had it altered it to fit.

Here in the US, due entirely to the increasing demand of shotguns for the lefties, a left eyed, left shouldered shot-gunner doesn't need to compromise by buying a shotgun that has the palm swell in the wrong place, safety in the wrong place, wrong cast, wrong ergonomically configured top lever and a trigger that is chamfered the wrong way and cuts into his finger during normal use. And of course a cast adjustment from a right to a left (depending on the individual) can often involve a lot of difference at toe and heel.

Old blaster said that he thought there were left and right handed shotguns here in the US, I was confirming that he was correct.
As a matter of interest l have seen a "Crosseyed" stock on an old side by side once, an extreem solution to left eye dominence!

I understand your points. For me, things such as top lever, palm swells & triggers are choice and not best associated to the guns orientation – heavy palm swells can though dictate if the gun (or stock) remains very LH or RH going forward. Easy for a lot of these things to become marketing hype.

In the UK a lot of guns remain free of palm swells, LH opening and come with neutral triggers with the option to change. This includes the 686 & 525 best sellers etc. The fitting issue is then cast and its by far the most important out of the (RH or LH options).

Shot again today with another LH shooter. Same comment – tried a LH top lever and hated it. It's just a waste of time.

Freddy. I agree with you. But here in the US the demand for "true" LH guns is on the increase. Strange eh?

Oldblaster. I once owned a Boss "crossover" stock when I had my gun shop in Scotland. I made the mistake of selling it before I moved here to the US in 1998. Big mistake, it would probably be worth a lot of money these days!

The only guy I new who had this problem solved it by using an eye patch over the dominant eye, it worked for him. The eye dominance may be caused by one eye needing optical correction.

Freddy. I agree with you. But here in the US the demand for "true" LH guns is on the increase. Strange eh?

Oldblaster. I once owned a Boss "crossover" stock when I had my gun shop in Scotland. I made the mistake of selling it before I moved here to the US in 1998. Big mistake, it would probably be worth a lot of money these days!
Yes probably collectable now days, Boss was a well respected make too.

I am fairly new to clay shooting(about 12months) . I am left eye dominant and I was used to shooting an air rifle Left handed because of this.
Since taking up clay shooting I switched to right hand but I’m struggling big time, so i am thinking buying a L H shotgun. I am Right handed by the way. I would appreciate any help and advice

I am fairly new to clay shooting(about 12months) . I am left eye dominant and I was used to shooting an air rifle Left handed because of this.
Since taking up clay shooting I switched to right hand but I’m struggling big time, so i am thinking buying a L H shotgun. I am Right handed by the way. I would appreciate any help and advice
I am right handed but very left eye dominant. I tried shooting left handed, with a neutral cast gun, and immediately improved my scores. I have since bought a left hand gun, had it fitted, and am now as comfortable shooting left handed as I was right handed. It doesn't take long to get used to and is much less hassle than all the "aids" that "enable" shooting right handed with left eye dominance. Give it a try with a L/H school gun. You have nothing to lose.

Had a lesson at the weekend and switched to my left hand also had new distance specs on, big improvement , going to give it another try before I get too excited

Latest posts

Back