LH Eye Dominance

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave1949

I am fairly new to clay shooting(about 12months) . I am left eye dominant and I was used to shooting an air rifle Left handed because of this.
Since taking up clay shooting I switched to right hand but I’m struggling big time, so i am thinking buying a L H shotgun. I am Right handed by the way. I would appreciate any help and advice

I am fairly new to clay shooting(about 12months) . I am left eye dominant and I was used to shooting an air rifle Left handed because of this.
Since taking up clay shooting I switched to right hand but I’m struggling big time, so i am thinking buying a L H shotgun. I am Right handed by the way. I would appreciate any help and advice
When you say struggling, do you mean you’ve tried various ways of closing and / or covering the left eye and it’s not working?

Yes I’ve tried 4/5 coverings, just lately I’ve taken to closing my left eye completely

Yes I’ve tried 4/5 coverings, just lately I’ve taken to closing my left eye completely
So it’s really about what feels weirder to you. Shutting left eye or shooting off left shoulder. Opinion is divided about which is the better route.

Buy a left handed gun. Worked for me and is the only true solution. Give it 250 cartridges and it will feel very natural. The big plus is that your right hand (dominant) is doing the pointing.

There are plenty of posts on this forum regarding eye dominance and anything Hamster wrote is well worth reading.

Expensive for a blob of plastic "shootSp" is what I use and it worked for me .

Freddy is correct. If you "test" left dominant, that's the way to go. Even then, the dominance may be inconclusive and you may need to close your right eye because of that. You won't know until you have shot for a time. Many top shooters struggle for years because they are told:- "two eyes is always better". Multi gold medalist Kim Rhode is a good example. Two eyes is not always better, depending on the the degree of dominance. Listen to what Ed Solomons says.

Last edited:
Question ? Why would left eye dominance affect the way you shot an air rifle ? I’m left eye dominant , I shoot small bore and centre fire and my left eye is either closed or if it’s open the right eye focus though the optics at x4 takes care of the rest . If you’ve had trouble shooting a rifle right handed( either through open sights or optics ) , right eyed , that surely would suggest more vision issues than just dominance . Do you wear prescription specs for distance ?

Question ? Why would left eye dominance affect the way you shot an air rifle ? I’m left eye dominant , I shoot small bore and centre fire and my left eye is either closed or if it’s open the right eye focus though the optics at x4 takes care of the rest . If you’ve had trouble shooting a rifle right handed( either through open sights or optics ) , right eyed , that surely would suggest more vision issues than just dominance . Do you wear prescription specs for distance ?
I shot the air rifle LH as it felt more comfortable as better results.
Interesting point re prescription glasses as I am about to get a pair of glasses

In my opinion you will be much better off shooting left handed, as you are fairly new to the sport changing over from right handed to left handed will be fairly easy and beneficial, it will enable you to keep both eyes open when shooting.

Martyn B Of course, you are correct and the left eye dominance will not affect shooting an air rifle. But the shotgun is a weapon of movement, ie. completely different. If the OP is "conclusively" LED, that's the way to go. But the problem is identifying the degree of dominance and that will only become obvious when the OP has shot for a while on targets that have known leads. He may eventually find that occluding his "off" eye will give him greater consistency. Only the guy that triggers the shot knows what he sees.

I shot the air rifle LH as it felt more comfortable as better results.
Interesting point re prescription glasses as I am about to get a pair of glasses
I think that until you correct your vision Dave , mucking around with changing shoulders is putting the cart before the horse . I need a distance prescription to shoot well despite being classed as ‘ driving legal ‘ on my eye test . Popping on my specs is like being born again in clarity at 35 yards plus . I have specs I only use for shooting and have an eye occlusion dot on the left lens . If I mount the gun and close my left eye , I’m looking right down the rib , if I shut my right eye , nothing just a blur , but I still have peripheral vision in the left eye .. 14 pheasants last Saturday would wish I hadn’t !

I don’t know who had told you you’re left eye dominant ? , but if you haven’t had your eye test yet , talk to the optician , although I bought my shooting specs from JH Steward , the prescription came from my local Specsavers where the optician was quite pleased to talk about something different .

Obviously get your eyes sorted first and ask them about the dominance issue - it may well be obvious to them (and you) from the prescription both in terms of reason and degree. We're not qualified to comment too much on here about such things beyond personal experience - and mine is the same as Martyn in that distance glasses (or for me contacts) can be tailored for shooting.

Once that is sorted you should have confidence in what you need for the future but at the risk of repeating myself - shoot off the shoulder with the dominant eye. Anything else is a fudge.

I think that until you correct your vision Dave , mucking around with changing shoulders is putting the cart before the horse . I need a distance prescription to shoot well despite being classed as ‘ driving legal ‘ on my eye test . Popping on my specs is like being born again in clarity at 35 yards plus . I have specs I only use for shooting and have an eye occlusion dot on the left lens . If I mount the gun and close my left eye , I’m looking right down the rib , if I shut my right eye , nothing just a blur , but I still have peripheral vision in the left eye .. 14 pheasants last Saturday would wish I hadn’t !

I don’t know who had told you you’re left eye dominant ? , but if you haven’t had your eye test yet , talk to the optician , although I bought my shooting specs from JH Steward , the prescription came from my local Specsavers where the optician was quite pleased to talk about something different .
Unfortunately Martyn , I have already had my eye test and awaiting my specs without mentioning eye dominance.they should arrive very soon. I am going for a lesson tomorrow to discus my predicament.Did your specially made shooting glasses help?

Unfortunately Martyn , I have already had my eye test and awaiting my specs without mentioning eye dominance.they should arrive very soon. I am going for a lesson tomorrow to discus my predicament.Did your specially made shooting glasses help?
Yes they do help , I’m battling age ! My eyesight isn’t as sharp . My specs have an adjustable bridge so sit high on my nose , then when I mount the gun I’m looking through the centre of the lens , not the top . They also have a curly ear piece so they don’t slip . There are plenty of people shoot to a very high standard in ordinary specs , Mr Hewland( above) will give you chapter and verse on that one . The main thing I found is that although I’m legal to drive without , the sharpness and depth of perception of a moving target is much better with the distance prescription lenses . I’ve got two pairs both with obscuring dots on the left lens as the specs didn’t change the dominance issue

Do mention to your instructor that you have specs on order.

Obviously get your eyes sorted first and ask them about the dominance issue - it may well be obvious to them (and you) from the prescription both in terms of reason and degree. We're not qualified to comment too much on here about such things beyond personal experience - and mine is the same as Martyn in that distance glasses (or for me contacts) can be tailored for shooting.

Once that is sorted you should have confidence in what you need for the future but at the risk of repeating myself - shoot off the shoulder with the dominant eye. Anything else is a fudge.
Many thanks for your help & advice. I’ll post again when I have my new specs.
i have a lesson tomorrow but sadly my new specs haven’t arrived.

Dave. I was very lucky. The leading authority (Worldwide) on this subject was an acquaintance of mine, Dr. Peter O. Behan, Professor Emeritus of Neurology at Glasgow University. Because it is neurological, the degree of dominance is very difficult to prove, almost impossible......... even by an optician.

The important thing is to make sure the eye above the rib is the one you are using for the correct bird/barrel relationship. The best way to do this in the early stages of learning to become proficient with a shotgun is to shoot with the off eye closed. #4 skeet or a similar presentation is an ideal place to do this, not a narrow angle shot where the width of the pattern will save your bacon. If you are consistent at breaking that target and you then you shoot with both eyes open and you are not as consistent, there's your answer.

I am right handed but very left eye dominant. I tried shooting left handed, with a neutral cast gun, and immediately improved my scores. I have since bought a left hand gun, had it fitted, and am now as comfortable shooting left handed as I was right handed. It doesn't take long to get used to and is much less hassle than all the "aids" that "enable" shooting right handed with left eye dominance. Give it a try with a L/H school gun. You have nothing to lose.

Latest posts

Back