Cartridge price increases now getting silly

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over at my place in Spain at the moment and just checked out prices at my local Decathlon. Their 28gm 7.5 are on sale at 70.99eu per slab. That's a little bit cheaper but still a massive price hike, I seem to remember before prices started to move they were over 100eu less per 1000

When I started shooting here in 2012 the cost was 29€ per slab but if you bought 1000 they knocked off 4€ . I would be interested to know what prices are like in Italy now because last time I was there before COVID I could buy Clever, Fiocchi, Cheddite and others in T3 format for 55€ per slab which was dirt cheap compared to France where they were about 75€ .

Whatever way the game is a bust flush there is no way newcomers to the sport can be attracted when a 100 target day is going to run you to a minimum cost of around 80€ just for clays and cartridges . I think that FITASC may have to move to make UT a one barrel discipline because when you add in second barrels the cost gets even higher and us trappies have a habit of shooting the bits after a first barrel hit anyway🤪

When I started shooting here in 2012 the cost was 29€ per slab but if you bought 1000 they knocked off 4€ . I would be interested to know what prices are like in Italy now because last time I was there before COVID I could buy Clever, Fiocchi, Cheddite and others in T3 format for 55€ per slab which was dirt cheap compared to France where they were about 75€ .

Whatever way the game is a bust flush there is no way newcomers to the sport can be attracted when a 100 target day is going to run you to a minimum cost of around 80€ just for clays and cartridges . I think that FITASC may have to move to make UT a one barrel discipline because when you add in second barrels the cost gets even higher and us trappies have a habit of shooting the bits after a first barrel hit anyway🤪
shoot a lot of trap myself and I know what you mean 😀

However joking apart, just wondering if its time for grounds to think about putting on 50 bird small registered events for the weekend bread and butter shoots. Or keep something like DTL,ABT,UT etc as 100 bird events but just allow 50 bird entries to shoot at the same time. 

Just had confirmation to expect a 10-15% increase across the board. Average £30 increase per thousand. 

Went to buy 1000 fibre Evos at EJC today but too late, the £20 approx price rise has happened. Has anybody heard the excuse for these rises? Oil and lead prices are lower than last summer so it isn’t materials. Smells of cartel. 

Went to buy 1000 fibre Evos at EJC today but too late, the £20 approx price rise has happened. Has anybody heard the excuse for these rises? Oil and lead prices are lower than last summer so it isn’t materials. Smells of cartel. 
According to my friends in the USA the war in Ukraine is creating a huge demand for gun powder leaving the rest of us short and having to pay a premium price for it, don’t know how much truth there is in that but that’s what they say on the other side of the Atlantic.

Greed mate, like the rest of them, that and they know most will pay for it. 

don’t buy the gunpowder for Ukraine BS. Can’t remember prices going up for Gulf 1? 2? & Iraq wars that went of for just a few years. People just seem to suck up the BS and believe it for some reason? 

Raw materials are just that raw, I guess the cost of energy must play apart in the price rises as it takes energy to convert raw material into usable material to then make that into a product.
To turn lead into shot, even more energy for steel shot and then the various process to make, primers, cases, wads, powder, packaging and finally assemble the cartridges. Then the many staff in the journey from raw material to cartridge I guess they want a pay rise given the high inflation rate across the EU and U.K.

Raw materials are just that raw, I guess the cost of energy must play apart in the price rises as it takes energy to convert raw material into usable material to then make that into a product.
To turn lead into shot, even more energy for steel shot and then the various process to make, primers, cases, wads, powder, packaging and finally assemble the cartridges. Then the many staff in the journey from raw material to cartridge I guess they want a pay rise given the high inflation rate across the EU and U.K.
Yes that's why most workers are striking, waiting for a pay rise to materialise as everything else goes sky high 😆

According to my friends in the USA the war in Ukraine is creating a huge demand for gun powder leaving the rest of us short and having to pay a premium price for it, don’t know how much truth there is in that but that’s what they say on the other side of the Atlantic.
True. The Maxam powder plant blew up in October, reducing supply by 60%. 20% of what's left is bought by the Ruskis trying to kill Ukrainians 😳 

I run a manufacturing business that involves materials, labour, machining, property costs, energy, packaging etc and there are not price rises in everything proportionate to those seen in these cartridge hikes since last summer. It’s just too easy to throw up a smoke screen. 

I run a manufacturing business that involves materials, labour, machining, property costs, energy, packaging etc and there are not price rises in everything proportionate to those seen in these cartridge hikes since last summer. It’s just too easy to throw up a smoke screen. 
Then your winning, but certainly steel I am told by a firm that makes steel gates and fencing has gone up a lot likewise galvanising, so has paper so I guess card has.
Then transport and import costs have gone up, since BREXIT and the war will be a factor also how big is the question.  Accumulation of all of them may be?

We will probably never know why, but the bottom line is they can, if we don’t like it then all we can do is vote with are feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then your winning, but certainly steel I am told by a firm that makes steel gates and fencing has gone up a lot likewise galvanising, so has paper so I guess card has.
Then transport and import costs have gone up, since BREXIT and the war will be a factor also how big is the question.  Accumulation of all of them may be?

We will probably never know why, but the bottom line is they can, if we don’t like it then all we can do is vote with are feet.
Big price rises for sure a year ago! But cartridges went up a bit then. My point is there have not been more price rises RECENTLY that correlate with this sudden and massive March 2023 cartridge increase. I may be missing something. 

Big price rises for sure a year ago! But cartridges went up a bit then. My point is there have not price rises RECENTLY that correlate with this sudden and massive March 2023 cartridge increase. I may be missing something. 
You’re missing nothing as far as I can see other than jacking up the profit margins. I was in the builders merchants yesterday, was told the price of timber has dropped considerably in the past few weeks. Have we seen a reduction in timber related products? Fencing? Etc etc ? Nope. They’re all at it mate. 

I'd have said you've got off lightly Will.

Anyone know why the biggest increases appear to be on the budget shells? TT's, Velocity etc are up nearly £40 a thousand.

The whole thing stinks.

PM.

I'd have said you've got off lightly Will.

Anyone know why the biggest increases appear to be on the budget shells? TT's, Velocity etc are up nearly £40 a thousand.

The whole thing stinks.

PM.
Fiocchi officials £35+ depending where you shop. £320+ a thou now. 😳 I’d you want a real laugh check out B&P new prices. 

Fiocchi officials £35+ depending where you shop. £320+ a thou now. 😳 I’d you want a real laugh check out B&P new prices. 
For me to Shoot a pair with Fiocchi officials at my local ground which charge 42p a bird would set me back £1.48 CRAZY MONEY 😳

A 100 bird round would workout at £78 😩

Back