Cartridge price increases now getting silly

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I normally buy Eley select 28g & now they have gone up to £242 x 1000, with paying for a round of 100 it costs me £1.32 to shoot a pair I have now decided once the cartridges I have left are finished clay shooting will have to be put on hold as it is now to expensive.
Are my maths wrong because i calculate a single cartridge will cost 24.2p or 48.4p per pair. If so its the 83.6p per pair of clays thats killing your sport.

I know cartridge prices are spiralling and that is a problem for many. However i believe some clay grounds are being extremely greedy and making massive margins on something costing a few pence.  When i see some prices these grounds are charging , i am amazed at the amount of people who still use them. 

Are my maths wrong because i calculate a single cartridge will cost 24.2p or 48.4p per pair. If so its the 83.6p per pair of clays thats killing your sport.

I know cartridge prices are spiralling and that is a problem for many. However i believe some clay grounds are being extremely greedy and making massive margins on something costing a few pence.  When i see some prices these grounds are charging , i am amazed at the amount of people who still use them. 
I expect the 1.32 included the clay cost as well...

The grounds and cartridge maufacturers are 'making hay while the sun shines' i think. The increase is not sustainable in the current climate for many that make up the shooting community.

I thought smallbore target shooting was expensive but that looks ridiculously cheap compaired to clay shooting, also funny that ammo hasn't sky rocketed like cartridges have

It's ok for the ones at the top who are sponsored or have more disposable income, but their not going to be able to keep the grounds/maufacturers going without the grass root shooters in the long run

Sorry I should have broken it down clearly 

cartridges £242 x 1000 = 24p each

clays at my local club 42p a bird 

To shoot a pair = cartridges 48p +  clays 84p

=  it costs me £1.32 to shoot a pair 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I got a call from my dealer, he could offer me 3.500 Eley Olympic Blues 24g for 255€/1000. He got 15.000 after waiting almost two month.

No negotiation, take it or leave it. He doesn´t now if and when the next delivery will arrive. Prices are communicated to him on very short notice.

Usually he sells larger quantities of cartridges to clubs and hunting schools, so he could make good offers.

Sorry I should have broken it down clearly 

cartridges £242 x 1000 = 24p each

clays at my local club 42p a bird 

To shoot a pair = cartridges 48p +  clays 84p

=  it costs me £1.32 to shoot a pair 
Trinity’s point about the 42p a clay still holds, cartridges at £240 being reasonable. 

Just checking back on my credit card statement, December 2021 I was paying £192.80 for a 1000 now 7 months later they are £242 for a 1000 for the same cartridge that’s an increase of £50.20 in 7months. You are correct my local ground is not the cheapest he was 36p a bird before the pandemic now it’s 42p guess he is trying to make up lost money. Anyway clay shooting now is to expensive for me.

Just paid £253 for 1000 eley blues fibre 24g (not good. I remember not buying these on principle when they went up to 217/1000 )

There is now clear evidence emerging that there is wide spread price fixing in the petrol/diesel pricing. I strongly suspect same is happening with cartridges. The price increase has been way beyond inflation . Run of the mill bottom end stuff was sub £200 not long back but now rising over £250. Total urine extraction going on.

There is now clear evidence emerging that there is wide spread price fixing in the petrol/diesel pricing. I strongly suspect same is happening with cartridges. The price increase has been way beyond inflation . Run of the mill bottom end stuff was sub £200 not long back but now rising over £250. Total urine extraction going on.
As I said before UK known as 'Treasure Island'. They know it's going on but sod all will be done about it as normal

The government aren't going to step in and drop fuel in a rush. Duty on fuel is a fixed cost, but VAT is a percentage, so currently they are raking in a huge amount extra than they were this time last year in vat alone. Same with everything really, vat on everything you buy, it goes up, vat contributions go up. All going towards the interest on our enormous debt.

politicians   and cartridge cartels  have their greedy snouts deep in the money trough  ,    its always been that way  and will continue  until they kill the goose that lays the golden egg  !!   🤬 

BASC have released figures on licensing for last year . There were 47,000 less shotgun and Firearms certificates than there were in 2020. 
Even allowing  for lousy service from licensing during lockdown , those numbers reflect the real number of people packing it in , and not being replaced . In fact it’s 8% . 

It will be interesting to see what next years figures look like . One things for sure though many people are not going to be in the position to enjoy shotgun shooting this winter is it comes to a choice of playtime or keeping warm . 

I’m just glad I’ve got a heavy gun to soak up the recoil of the cheap cartridges I’ll have to buy to carry on shooting. 

Orston have just released a new system called the gold card. £5 deposit for your promatic clay card and then pre loaded with 1000 clays for £250 payed up front. 12 months to use them any how you like on sporting practise layouts. Bit of capital outlay but great value at 25p per clay.
I think there are one or two others grounds with simillar schemes,  Thimbleby had something like that , a  further 10 % discount if you bought 500 clays upfront.

Great initiative ,lets hope others follow. 

However some blokes I know would be topping that card up every few weeks😂

Orston have just released a new system called the gold card. £5 deposit for your promatic clay card and then pre loaded with 1000 clays for £250 payed up front. 12 months to use them any how you like on sporting practise layouts. Bit of capital outlay but great value at 25p per clay.
A fantastic idea but if you get anywhere up to 10 no birds on a round of 100 (seems about par these days, especially during cold n wet months) they’re not going to load that loss back on for you I’d bet. I may be wrong and would love to hear that to be the case?

Back