Cartridge price increases now getting silly

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree Charlie . What rising prices do is make you very discerning about what you point your gun at . On Friday I went out to a local( ish ) ground , specifically to shoot high tower birds . Oly blues bought at £238 , going to cost £250 to replace .
On one stand  The traps were throwing perhaps one no bird in four or five pulls . Another stand my card would not stay in place to activate the Claymate . I put my gun away and went home .

Shot at  Thimbleby today , testing targets , reliably thrown , great facilities . The place was very busy . 

I think if things get tight grounds that don’t provide excellent challenging targets without issues will lose out to the ones that do . 
I agree Martyn, but if your lucky to have a large choice in a tight area you can pick and choose. Not so a lot of others, only way is to cut back on your shooting.

Ground close to me has a excellent set up but suffers with a lot of breakage's and trap problems, it's expensive enough (they were one of the first to put their prices up) without that.

It frustrates me when people don’t deliver what they are selling Colin . I must admit if I didn’t have any choice , I’d consider packing it in . Everyone seems to want more without keeping their half of the deal 

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now there is not much available here in germany even at high prices. You can see this on the clay grounds. Not really crowded these days.

Fairly new shooter here in NI. My latest batch of eley Olympic blues bought last week, £280/ 1000. With more price increases coming.

* edit* - that price is for 28g plastic wads

I have found shooting is a nice social hobby but at this rate i can already see numbers decreasing weekly from local shoots, also with the increase in clay prices here shooters seem to be getting roasted on all sides… 

Fairly new shooter here in NI. My latest batch of eley Olympic blues bought last week, £280/ 1000. With more price increases coming.

I have found shooting is a nice social hobby but at this rate i can already see numbers decreasing weekly from local shoots, also with the increase in clay prices here shooters seem to be getting roasted on all sides… 
Wow currently paying £229 for 24g EB was £219 a few weeks ago.

Seems a race between the manufactures as who can increase their prices the highest.

I have also noticed the mid week practice grounds seem to be sparcer , there is no doubt people are cutting back.

The unfortunate truth is the reality of not being in the EU anymore, most cartridges are imported and we are getting hit for UK import duty+VAT, add to that the cost oil (plastic is an oil based product) and rapidly transport costs and it's not going to get any better.  

Looks like UK Customs add 2% duty + VAT on the whole import value https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/headings/9306

I found a shop that had some cheap cartridges. Then realised I couldn’t afford to drive there to collect them. 
Last satiurday I saw a gun for sale in the interweb that in my mind was worth a look at.  The shop is around 70 miles away. Normally I would just go.  I worked out the petrol cost. At around £28 for essentially what would have ended up as a browse. I  didn't  bother. I'll wait until I'm in the area on other business. 

Last satiurday I saw a gun for sale in the interweb that in my mind was worth a look at.  The shop is around 70 miles away. Normally I would just go.  I worked out the petrol cost. At around £28 for essentially what would have ended up as a browse. I  didn't  bother. I'll wait until I'm in the area on other business. 
Yeah, a 150 mile round trip is £36 in diesel for me at 35mpg. Makes you think a bit. 

The unfortunate truth is the reality of not being in the EU anymore, most cartridges are imported and we are getting hit for UK import duty+VAT, add to that the cost oil (plastic is an oil based product) and rapidly transport costs and it's not going to get any better.  

Looks like UK Customs add 2% duty + VAT on the whole import value https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/headings/9306
Being in the EU  makes no difference. In  Ireland cartridges gone up €100-1000  in the last few months 

It is not just cartridge prices, it seems that most retail businesses are trying to recoup 2 years of famine within the coming 12 months. We are currently on a midweek break in UK. What was £85/night B & B last year is now £120/night AND breakfast is an extra at £12.50 EACH.  Seems as though the hospitality trade is capitalising on the disruptions of air and sea ports.

Prices have gone totally stupid here too! I just looked at Decathlon for their cheapest the T100, which is a popular and decent cartridge, 62.95 per carton so in real money for you £217 per thousand... they were about €50 or  £172 at the beginning of the year. I may be at Lonato later this year it should be interesting to see the prices there last time which was 2019 the were €55 for T3 and €58 T4 across the board.

Really not the whole story see above as living in France we are seeing the same... they may be cheaper than UK I don't know but still spiralling in price .

Prices have gone totally stupid here too! I just looked at Decathlon for their cheapest the T100, which is a popular and decent cartridge, 62.95 per carton so in real money for you £217 per thousand... they were about €50 or  £172 at the beginning of the year. I may be at Lonato later this year it should be interesting to see the prices there last time which was 2019 the were €55 for T3 and €58 T4 across the board.

Really not the whole story see above as living in France we are seeing the same... they may be cheaper than UK I don't know but still spiralling in price .
I am out in Spain and my local decathlon those T100 are 60.99eu a slab ,which equates to £209 per 1000. 

If people could buy them in the UK at that, the shelves will empty as fast as they fill them !

I normally buy Eley select 28g & now they have gone up to £242 x 1000, with paying for a round of 100 it costs me £1.32 to shoot a pair I have now decided once the cartridges I have left are finished clay shooting will have to be put on hold as it is now to expensive.

Haven't had my gun out the cabinet for months. I'll just hold on to it and see what happens, but I'm only really likely to go once in a while with my old shooting buddy when I get over there and leave it at that. It's the social side I miss now, not the actual shooting itself.

Upside, I have cleaned it a while ago and it still looks absolutely pristine with shinier barrel insides than when I bought it. :)

Back to the joy of shooting it just for a laugh now instead of being worried about scores. Like when I started.

I normally buy Eley select 28g & now they have gone up to £242 x 1000, with paying for a round of 100 it costs me £1.32 to shoot a pair I have now decided once the cartridges I have left are finished clay shooting will have to be put on hold as it is now to expensive.
That really brings home the reality.

I feel for the future of shooting in general.With the lead ban looming too.

Latest posts

Back