Whats Your Favorite Cartridge to Use and Why?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I currently use Fiocchi F3 Piston as they seem to be the most reliable.

For example; yesterday, only 11 of them didn't work, so I managed an 89.  It seems cartridges have improved since I first started shooting.  A few years ago, as much as 50% of the time they wouldn't work.

I hope to try some of the cartridges that chaps like, King Ed and King George use, as theirs seem to work 95% of the time or better.

There seems to be a following for FBlu and FBlack on here so I am leaning towards these. What's the difference? They are both 28g, both plastic wad, both the same shot size and both the same speed (380m/s). The only difference I could see on their website was the pressure (580 vs 600bar). Where does pressure come into it all? Should I worry at all? The difference is £10.75 over a thousand.

There seems to be a following for FBlu and FBlack on here so I am leaning towards these. What's the difference? They are both 28g, both plastic wad, both the same shot size and both the same speed (380m/s). The only difference I could see on their website was the pressure (580 vs 600bar). Where does pressure come into it all? Should I worry at all? The difference is £10.75 over a thousand.
The blacks are better and worth the extra, however...

Blacks pattern quite tight (according to Sir Will, and I trust his and my experience)

Blacks seem softer to me

Blues pattern nice

Blues are reputedly a bit harsher

Blacks have harder shot, slightly

By a slab of each and see what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
My local gun shop, has just lowered there prices on F: Black due to the quanitity that they sell, so I get them at 45 a slab, I cannot find a better cartridge for that money, although I will always buy some hulls when im there to!

My favourite is RC4 Redshot Superniks. No longer use then though, just too expensive now! So I'm now on Fiocchi F Blacks, miles cheaper and still very hard hitting. Also my regular practice ground only allows Hull or Fiocchi on practice days.
If its where I think it is there are a couple of reasons.  The advertised one is that these cartridges are chosen because they are not too loud and it means that nobody should come along and shoot anything very loud.  They are trying to control the noise as they have never ever had any complaints and don't want any.  I suspect the other reason is that the price of shooting there is reasonable and having to buy their cartridges contributes to the profits a bit which helps the ground keep its prices down.

Yes Robert, sounds spot on mate! Nobody seems to mind, I've not heard any complaints at all in fact!

This favourite cartridge stuff is all very well until we analyse the true situation.

Like car manufacturers there are hundreds of cartridge manufacturers all working to have a market share. Therein lies the true situation, use what is readily available at a price that suits your pocket.

As it has been pointed out the difference between economy and luxury cartridges is about 5p per shot , why scrimp if you are after performance or success????

Also the cartridge manufacturers do have parameters that they need to work within to gain sales, CIP regulations , but importantly the ability to break targets that their customers will shoot at.

I believe most cartridges perform consistently better than the users  !

If we take a 28gram 7.5 shot with approx 400 pellets  and then compare the performance of a 21gram with about 150 pellets less , both will do a wonderful job if used skilfully , the 21 gram being quick and comfortable to use and often with a superior pattern, but I still I would use the maximum shot quantity available in competition.

Look at the true performance of 24 gram cartridges in competition they really are very good .

But here is the rub, why if Lead is the costing factor, do manufacturers not sell lighter loads considerably  cheaper than 1 oz loads????

Why are 32 gram Game loads sometimes £100+ dearer than a 28gram load.

( I have heard the reasoning , but it doesn't convince me that we are not being ripped off)

There is a big shooting gound just over the border in Italy that we attend on regular basis and there you can get ammo for quite interesting rates - I do believe their first goal is to encourage us to shoot as many targets as possible - I doubt they are having any financial losses tho:

-RC4 SPORTING 8,5 28g:=54eur or 39gbp
-MACH3 28g =58eur or 42gbp
-UNIVERSAL TRAP 28g =40eur or 29gbp

For practise I use a lot of Gyttorp 24g steel max classic, very cheap and ok up to compak ranges and steel because my home shootingground 3 km away lead is forbidden due to groundwater area.

For other shootinggrounds and comps, I use 28g;

- either Hull sovereign parcours 7.5 or WhiteGold 7.5 for the normal targets. The prices for those has increased in Finland due to weaker €. So I've been trying some Fiocchi Fblacks, which are quite nice.

- Hull sovereign parcours 6.5 or BlackGold 6.5 for the edge on far away slow targets.

- For close fast targets I've used different felt wads or open piston wads, made by Olympia, Hull etc.

I like theese because they hit hard targets and I don' notice any recoil  :wink:

Eley suberbs 8's on nearly everything 7.5 if it's a fair distance away.

That or hull pro ones I think sometimes also in 8's

This favourite cartridge stuff is all very well until we analyse the true situation.

Like car manufacturers there are hundreds of cartridge manufacturers all working to have a market share. Therein lies the true situation, use what is readily available at a price that suits your pocket.

As it has been pointed out the difference between economy and luxury cartridges is about 5p per shot , why scrimp if you are after performance or success????

Also the cartridge manufacturers do have parameters that they need to work within to gain sales, CIP regulations , but importantly the ability to break targets that their customers will shoot at.

I believe most cartridges perform consistently better than the users  !

If we take a 28gram 7.5 shot with approx 400 pellets  and then compare the performance of a 21gram with about 150 pellets less , both will do a wonderful job if used skilfully , the 21 gram being quick and comfortable to use and often with a superior pattern, but I still I would use the maximum shot quantity available in competition.

Look at the true performance of 24 gram cartridges in competition they really are very good .

But here is the rub, why if Lead is the costing factor, do manufacturers not sell lighter loads considerably  cheaper than 1 oz loads????

Why are 32 gram Game loads sometimes £100+ dearer than a 28gram load.

( I have heard the reasoning , but it doesn't convince me that we are not being ripped off)
 Cartridge manufacturers never, to my knowledge, prove the efficacy of their product other than for velocity and pattern. They have good reason for not doing so. Firstly the cost of such a study would be expensive but most importantly they know that cartridges of similar design, construction and muzzle velocity when tested in a proper double blind test will give near identical results. The main thing people take out of using premium brand cartridges is the confidence they gain from the fact that because they paid more for them they must be better. Now there is nothing wrong with that at all  but the variance in day to day shooting scores completely negates any chance of the shooter being able to say this is a better cartridge than the other. The only way to actually test a cartridge is to deny the shooter and the tester the knowledge of what cartridge they are using and over a long period of testing crunch the numbers for results of cartridge A,B, C etc only after the stats have been processed do we finally get to know what did what. Think about it people every other season a manufacturer brings out their latest best cartridge... but where are the test results proving what they imply? People buy a slab shoot them have a couple of good days and arrive at the conclusion that they are indeed better than cartridge X. Of course after a couple of months they are back at their average score again but they have the faith to keep using the new cartridges.

I'm currently shooting the new Gamebore Velocity+ more to the fact that I'm shooting about a 1000 a month.  For the price they are fantastic, I just use 7.5 through Muller U2 top & bottom, breaks everything I've come across so far.

Eley suberbs 8's on nearly everything 7.5 if it's a fair distance away.

That or hull pro ones I think sometimes also in 8's
I know a lot of people who swear by Superbs for UT and ABT but they are a little pricey compared to Blacks. Pity they don't make a 24 g version either?

DT

Was practicing on some very fast left to right rabbits on Saturday with some friends.  At least four rabbit clays were picked up with either a hole in or pellet strikes on them, but unbroken.  Think it's time I looked for some 6.5's to put in the bag along with my Express Power Blue 7.5s.

Was practicing on some very fast left to right rabbits on Saturday with some friends.  At least four rabbit clays were picked up with either a hole in or pellet strikes on them, but unbroken.  Think it's time I looked for some 6.5's to put in the bag along with my Express Power Blue 7.5s.
 One target had 2 holes and 3 further pellet strikes, but no break.

One target had 2 holes and 3 further pellet strikes, but no break.
I used to have a small collection of intact targets with multiple holes in them which included a Midi with 4 holes and a rabbit with 8/9, these days it's a rarer occurrence than back then due mainly to the better composition of the targets themselves. 

Maybe it isn't such a bad idea to carry a few 7's for very long rabbits but I have to say through tight chokes I have demolished a good few long ones with 7.5 and 8's. 

I'm currently shooting the new Gamebore Velocity+ more to the fact that I'm shooting about a 1000 a month.  For the price they are fantastic, I just use 7.5 through Muller U2 top & bottom, breaks everything I've come across so far.
Half way through a thou purchased for £152 on special offer and have to agree they put up a great show, not too punchy and eject well as well.

Latest posts

Back