Mid level Competition cartridge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can stand a Plas wad the fblu are brilliant value for money.

Attached is a recent pattern I did through my dt11 with a teague 1/4 choke at 40 yards. Pellet count shows a 65% pattern in a 30" circle that equates to a 3/4. Lovely even pattern as well.
Good work, however you are not getting what you might expect if they shoot a tight pattern. I use FBlus for longer targets (with pleasing results) and something with a more open pattern for close to medium targets.

I keep it simple now , Eley Olympic Blue 7.5 . Both plastic and fibre for use as the ground dictates , and always 28gm . I can get Fiocchi or Express +\- a quid or two but the Olys have never let me down over many years . I went through a few thousand 27gm Litespeed last year , but all in all the Olympic Blue is just a nice balance of pleasant to shoot v price .

Martin raises an interesting point - which we have discussed here in part.

I now carry three cartridges (* on the 4th as follows) - Express Suprerlite 24g*, Hull Close Range, FBlus & Rossas.

My mid level cartridge is therefore also my mid range one.

Fixed chokes - 1/4 & 1/2.

I am looking for some advice/reviews for a mid level cartridge that performs well but isn't going to break the bank
Dependant on where you live of course but Coley's do own brand Eley shells at reasonable prices and I can recommend their Coley Competition which is closely based on the Eley Superb. If you have to use fibres, their Coley Gold shell is pretty good too, although I find them much more thumpy than the plastic.

Martin raises an interesting point - which we have discussed here in part.

I now carry three cartridges (* on the 4th as follows) - Express Suprerlite 24g*, Hull Close Range, FBlus & Rossas.

My mid level cartridge is therefore also my mid range one.

Fixed chokes - 1/4 & 1/2.
Wow lots to think about at each stand then. Decisions decisions. Couldn’t do it personally. Have you patterned a Hull Close Range and an FBlu at close range? I suspect you’re talking an inch of increased error allowance. (FBlu don’t pattern tightly I found).

Patterns - It will be done this week or maybe next - Was planning to do it Friday along with through Fblu & FBlack comparison.

I can't say its a good idea all round but I do find it makes me think about the close range stuff which I had previously been missing.

The close range stuff (9s) are also much better on bunnies.

I can’t be the only one that shoots the cheapest cartridges i can get my hands on 😅🫣 generally i shoot gb competition in #8 in both plastic and fibre or fblack plastic recently as we couldn’t get gb

If your near a shooting ground they sometimes have there own branded carts. I’ve had about 4000 of Nottingham shooting grounds branded 28grm 8s and found them as good as the Olympic blues I was using for around £270 a 1000

The way that most CPSA comps are now set, you get shoot pretty much any cartridge for 90-95% of the targets (as long you you put the gun in the right place!) There will be a few targets that are either very close, very fast or 60+ yards but not many. I now use Wiltshire Rod & Gun branded 28 7.5s shells (Eley in disguise) for everything, apart from long stuff when I use Gamebore Dark Gold 6.5s and very close when I use Hull Pro Pistons.

I guess it's all about the confidence that a gun/cartridge.choke gives you and for me, this combination works.

The way that most CPSA comps are now set, you get shoot pretty much any cartridge for 90-95% of the targets (as long you you put the gun in the right place!) There will be a few targets that are either very close, very fast or 60+ yards but not many. I now use Wiltshire Rod & Gun branded 28 7.5s shells (Eley in disguise) for everything, apart from long stuff when I use Gamebore Dark Gold 6.5s and very close when I use Hull Pro Pistons.

I guess it's all about the confidence that a gun/cartridge.choke gives you and for me, this combination works.
Do you happen to know how much the WRG cartridges are? I assume they're fibre?

Eley's quality control lost the plot 10/12 years ago but they seem back on point now.

PM.

WR&G cartridges are currently £289 per 1,000 but that will likely go up maybe February, like all cartridges. (I'm stocking up next week!)

WR&G cartridges are currently £289 per 1,000 but that will likely go up maybe February, like all cartridges. (I'm stocking up next week!)
Thanks.

We have Gilsans own brand Eleys up north for £290/fibre. There's cheaper alternatives out there but if they are Superb internals as I'm told, then they are a good price.

PM.

Thank you for all the replies, I’m going to get a thou Eley Olympic Blues before the incoming price hike. Hopefully they treat me well😂

Thank you for all the replies, I’m going to get a thou Eley Olympic Blues before the incoming price hike. Hopefully they treat me well😂
I’ve only shot Eley Select and they were fine. Have heard good reports on the olympics and they are on my list to try.

Rose golds are next for me…

we have Fiocchi litespeeds 26gm 8 shot fibre wads £260.00 a thousand or £65.00 a slab situated near Folkestone.

Do you happen to know how much the WRG cartridges are? I assume they're fibre?

Eley's quality control lost the plot 10/12 years ago but they seem back on point now.

PM.
l was under the impression that the reason cartridges are so expensive is that lead prices have risen so dramtically. In fact lead prices are at a ten year low of $ 2000 per metric ton,the price back in 2014 was $ 2095 per metric ton ?

Latest posts

Back