Whats Your Favorite Cartridge to Use and Why?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RC 2 COMPETITION 7.5  24g for where I can shoot plastic wads, I love em! not too punchy, fast and really clean burning 

LYAVALE EXPRESS HV 7.5   24g for when its gotta be fiber wads, again not too punchy but fast, not as clean as the RC cartridge but you don't get the "confetti" you seem to get from a lot of budget fiber cartridges  

Last edited by a moderator:
The best cartridges that I have ever used, belonged to someone else................I picked up the wrong bag by mistake.   :rolleyes:

I have just restarted shooting again after an enforced break. I shot 50 on Sunday and another 50 today, using my 20 bore and Eley CT plastic wads in 21 gram. I have to say after using nothing but Hull Superfast, I had forgotten just how dirty some cartridges can be. The Eley 20 bore are filthy, in fact I have not seen a dirtier cartridge since I used some Fiochi things a while back.

I must admit I'm getting in a bit hung up on cartridge choice. I know in the grand scheme of things it's not really going to affect my scores, but there is almost too much choice. I've tried budget, mid and expensive carts, but finding it hard to narrow down to a favourite. Superfast, Velocity+, First Select, Olympic Blue, Fblack, Power Blue, Power Red, Pro Fibre, Black Gold, just a selection of carts I've tried over the past 12 months. I can't really tell if I do better with any one more than the other, how do I make a decision? I just want to chose a cart and stick with it. 

I must admit I'm getting in a bit hung up on cartridge choice. I know in the grand scheme of things it's not really going to affect my scores, but there is almost too much choice. I've tried budget, mid and expensive carts, but finding it hard to narrow down to a favourite. Superfast, Velocity+, First Select, Olympic Blue, Fblack, Power Blue, Power Red, Pro Fibre, Black Gold, just a selection of carts I've tried over the past 12 months. I can't really tell if I do better with any one more than the other, how do I make a decision? I just want to chose a cart and stick with it. 
The thing to do is to MAKE yourself use one. Find one you feel works well and that costs what you want to pay (this could be the cheapest or the dearest) and just shoot. The important thing is don't have others to hand or your mind will wander..

I use cheap shells and do OK, never blaming them when I miss. 

The thing to do is to MAKE yourself use one. Find one you feel works well and that costs what you want to pay (this could be the cheapest or the dearest) and just shoot. The important thing is don't have others to hand or your mind will wander..

I use cheap shells and do OK, never blaming them when I miss. 
most of what I tried seemed okay, although the Fblacks and Golds were too punchy for me. As I've only been shooting regularly for 18 months I'm probably not experienced enough to know why one shell is better for me than another, which probably explains my indecisiveness. Your advice is right though, I'm spending too much time faffing about trying different carts. 

most of what I tried seemed okay, although the Fblacks and Golds were too punchy for me. As I've only been shooting regularly for 18 months I'm probably not experienced enough to know why one shell is better for me than another, which probably explains my indecisiveness. Your advice is right though, I'm spending too much time faffing about trying different carts. 
I think you ARE experienced enough to know which one is better for you (because it isn't a complex thing; they all break clays). I agree, avoid punchy shells. Also avoid very expensive ones, they just aren't worth it. Find something that is smooth enough and sensible money. Buy a lot and use them.

I agree with Will.  Find a shell that feels good in the shoulder.  They all break clays......all of them!  Find a shell that suits your pocket, and your shoulder first.  As you progress, I have no doubt that you will go 'through a few' makes and weights and shot size to get closer to your gun and your style.  As a starting point, I'd see what shells your colleagues at your ground use regularly.  This sorts out your supply firstly!  I'd pick something that suits your discipline, i.e. 28gram 7.5 plaswads for ESP for instance, and shoot a few boxes of those.  If they feel rough, try a few boxes of other shells, same shot and load size, in your price range.  Once you have eliminated the shell issue, buy a few thousand.....that stops you from playing around with shells, and blaming them from missing!  You can then concentrate on the targets and not the mind blowing field of ballistics!  :wink:

I read a few good reports on Gamebore Evos as an alternitive to White Gold, I tried them and liked them so used them all year last year and purchased another 6 slabs of them on saturday !

28g 7.5 plas wad. I just have to put them in the right place now.

ATB

Matt 

I read a few good reports on Gamebore Evos as an alternitive to White Gold, I tried them and liked them so used them all year last year and purchased another 6 slabs of them on saturday !

28g 7.5 plas wad. I just have to put them in the right place now.

ATB

Matt 
been shooting these for a  while now but after disecting a velocity+ and comparing with the evo's I am finding it hard to see or feel the difference. In make up and clay breaks. Shot Westfield the other week . did a pb for me at the ground mixed evo's and velocity+ in pocket. Just shot em . didn't look which went in which barrel. 

Velocity+ for me when evo's run out.

£155 a thou . :p

Last edited by a moderator:
What I noticed with the Volocitys was some sort of dirt blown back at me when shooting into the wind like unburnt powder or something. All I know is I shot them last year once my White Golds ran out and I got on really well with them so have returned to them again ! £192 per thou is what I pay.

ATB

Matt

What I noticed with the Volocitys was some sort of dirt blown back at me when shooting into the wind like unburnt powder or something. All I know is I shot them last year once my White Golds ran out and I got on really well with them so have returned to them again ! £192 per thou is what I pay.

ATB

Matt
Assume that is plastic but where from last lot I bought were £217 for fibre from EJ Churchills?

ATB

Matt
£192 for 1000 velocity?

Latest posts

Back