Whats Your Favorite Cartridge to Use and Why?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Blue as well.  Some people at my club seem to prefer Green grass when they miss clay pigeons however.

Maybe that is why the club provides Blue bins and Grass at the same time?

Bins for hits and Grass for misses?

Last edited by a moderator:
At risk of posting something 'on topic'; I picked up 500 of the Hull Pro One's in 8. Wow! I can see why there is a price jump from the FBlacks. Very very smooth shell.

Do these tend to pattern a bit wider than the FBlacks? 

Wasnt planning on shooting today so havnt got any of my usual fblacks,wife and the boy were having i lie in so i thought ill have a look for some shell's and nip round kingsley moors pool shoot.must of had 3 or 4 different brands mostly 7.5 or 8 ranging from cheapest to fblack and someone gave me 2 red shot rc to try.i put em in my pocket and without looking loaded and shot,every target apart from one looked like it hit a wall .so moral to the story is concentrate on the shooting and forget the marketing bs.

Tried some eley first select 9s yesterday at 100 reg skeet. Nice and smooth they didn't break the clays very well but with cyl choke I did not want them to, but they do give a large margin of error which if your as bad as me is very handy.

Tried some eley first select 9s yesterday at 100 reg skeet. Nice and smooth they didn't break the clays very well but with cyl choke I did not want them to, but they do give a large margin of error which if your as bad as me is very handy.
I always reckon that if you want a ball of soot every time you hit one, then you are using a shell and choke to suit your ego not your scorecard.

I used to have a small collection of intact targets with multiple holes in them which included a Midi with 4 holes and a rabbit with 8/9, these days it's a rarer occurrence than back then due mainly to the better composition of the targets themselves. 

Maybe it isn't such a bad idea to carry a few 7's for very long rabbits but I have to say through tight chokes I have demolished a good few long ones with 7.5 and 8's. 

Half way through a thou purchased for £152 on special offer and have to agree they put up a great show, not too punchy and eject well as well.
Morning all,

In the summer season away from the pheasants and other live game, I take my Labradors with me clay shooting (practice at my local club)......keeps them happy being with Dad and hearing the gun go off.  I also let them retrieve a clay pigeon or two which also keeps their morale up most enthusiastically!  When it comes to rabbits, I believe that 1 in 3 that they retrieve, has several pellet holes in it.  Where we have been shooting Quartering rabbits seems to be the most affected.  One clay had 8 strikes which had ricocheted off the clay except on the edge where a good lump had been clipped off.  Even on face on clays I have seen rabbits with up to 5 holes and no breakage.

Now I am not suggesting that my Labradors only retrieve the 'runners' here 8-D, nor is it a scientific method of working out a ratio of how many get away, but it is enough for me to warrant 7 shot on rabbits at all times.  But that is just me of course.  Shooting at Westfield yesterday I shot the long rabbit at the top of the layout with half choke and Fiocchi 4HV's in 7's and I got the desired effect. 

Anyway my choice on a 100 birder are Fiocchi 4HV's UK 7's and anything up to 30yds, Fiocchi F3 Blue Pistons UK 8's.

p.s my dogs love the driven stands.........lots of full clays to pick up behind where I shoot!  ;-)

I have been shooting lyevale power blues for a while, but tried some fiocchi blues on Wednesday, thought they were excellent!!! 

Yes will, I seemed to dust a few more than usual with them, so was very pleased.
Note if you get a good few chippy kills too. They pattern tight in the centre and poorly outside of that, through my gun. The good kills look great but I don't like the overall effect..

Fast becoming Fiocchi F3 8.5 Blues! Smooth shooting and cracking breaks which give a lot of confidence on a sporting layout. Anything at range always gets something in 7 shot. I like Fiocchi Official traps, 4HVs, or Golden Traps. I reckon the Officials have edge on smoothness though and are the cheapest in that last bunch.

Morning all,

In the summer season away from the pheasants and other live game, I take my Labradors with me clay shooting (practice at my local club)......keeps them happy being with Dad and hearing the gun go off.  I also let them retrieve a clay pigeon or two which also keeps their morale up most enthusiastically!  When it comes to rabbits, I believe that 1 in 3 that they retrieve, has several pellet holes in it.  Where we have been shooting Quartering rabbits seems to be the most affected.  One clay had 8 strikes which had ricocheted off the clay except on the edge where a good lump had been clipped off.  Even on face on clays I have seen rabbits with up to 5 holes and no breakage.

Now I am not suggesting that my Labradors only retrieve the 'runners' here 8-D, nor is it a scientific method of working out a ratio of how many get away, but it is enough for me to warrant 7 shot on rabbits at all times.  But that is just me of course.  Shooting at Westfield yesterday I shot the long rabbit at the top of the layout with half choke and Fiocchi 4HV's in 7's and I got the desired effect. 

Anyway my choice on a 100 birder are Fiocchi 4HV's UK 7's and anything up to 30yds, Fiocchi F3 Blue Pistons UK 8's.

p.s my dogs love the driven stands.........lots of full clays to pick up behind where I shoot!  ;-)
You need 6.5's for Rabbits. I have that on good authority !

No longer available but Winchester Winner 8s  for me clays and pigeons :wub:  now gamebore evos or whitegold 7.5 for clays blackgold 30/32g for game  

No longer available but Winchester Winner 8s  for me clays and pigeons :wub:  now gamebore evos or whitegold 7.5 for clays blackgold 30/32g for game  
Winchester winner 8's still the best cartridge I've ever shot shame they stopped making them ???

I feed my Berettas on a staple diet of Rio Target load and Jockers for sporting and Clever Super Targets for OSK. Occasionally I may deviate if availability or price dictate! Had a couple of goes at ABT and not settled on a favourite cartridge for that yet!

Clever Supertargets for most clays, Grand Italia/Pro Extra 7,s for edge on at distance or Clever RVS for a confidence shot...

I do like a premium shell when shooting at 'environmentally friendly' clays, the breaks are noticeably better with RVS range/Pro extra 

hull superfast 27g 7.5 for me when shooting trap. plaswad of course...

currently using eley first select 28g 8's for sporting as I have a slab or two to use up, but then it will be back to fibrewad superfasts.

Latest posts

Back