Whats Your Favorite Cartridge to Use and Why?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much settled on Fiocchi FBlacks in 7.5 28gm guise purely as they seem to be a cracking shell at a good price (£190). 

There is a lot of talk about shot sizes. Should I understand that the 7.5's in my Fiocchi's are actually an equivalent to an English 6.5? 

When I connect with a clay it tends to be pretty dramatic. I'm guessing as they are fairly hefty pellets. Is it worth choosing a smaller size for general sporting?

Pretty much settled on Fiocchi FBlacks in 7.5 28gm guise purely as they seem to be a cracking shell at a good price (£190). 

There is a lot of talk about shot sizes. Should I understand that the 7.5's in my Fiocchi's are actually an equivalent to an English 6.5? 

When I connect with a clay it tends to be pretty dramatic. I'm guessing as they are fairly hefty pellets. Is it worth choosing a smaller size for general sporting?
My understanding is that Fiocchi 7.5 are 2.4mm which equates to English 7's.

I will be out of cartridges after this weekend so I am tempted to try the Hull Sporting 100. Can get them for £9 more than the FBlacks.

I will be out of cartridges after this weekend so I am tempted to try the Hull Sporting 100. Can get them for £9 more than the FBlacks.
They pattern similarly, but hull has 60% of the recoil and noise. The 7.5s are pretty tight, so great if you like balls of dust, but 8's best IMO.

Did a fairly long term test on a whole bunch of cartridges. Buying 500 - 1000 of various brands at a time. The whole trial took place over a period of around 12 months, during which time I went through slabs of Express Power Reds and Blues; Gambore Evo, Eley Olympic Blues (why do they use colours in the name?) Hull Superfast and Fiochhi fBlacks.

But, I settled on the Hull Superfasts. For ME, the best balance of performance/price/availability. I did like the fBlacks too, so I might give the TT's a go at some point.

That's so weird. I tried Superfasts and found them lacking, somehow lacking any punch. I tried Fblacks and had endless misfires along with traces of incomplete ignition.

I went back to my usual brand, Express World Cup, which by all accounts (accoring to this forum) are the most evil recoiling shell on the market. I find them smooth and crisp with superb patterns.

I also tried Sportsman Super Smokers, initially just as a sort of self-punishment. I had a really good day at the office! They were Ok, they all went bang, the targets all broke (the ones I expected anyway) but I just can't bring myself to buy such a budget brand. It's all in my head I know but my heart won't allow it.

Sometimes our impressions of a cartridge is influenced by what sort of day we had, which really isn't the fault of the cartridge.

That's so weird. I tried Superfasts and found them lacking, somehow lacking any punch. I tried Fblacks and had endless misfires along with traces of incomplete ignition.

I went back to my usual brand, Express World Cup, which by all accounts (accoring to this forum) are the most evil recoiling shell on the market. I find them smooth and crisp with superb patterns.

I also tried Sportsman Super Smokers, initially just as a sort of self-punishment. I had a really good day at the office! They were Ok, they all went bang, the targets all broke (the ones I expected anyway) but I just can't bring myself to buy such a budget brand. It's all in my head I know but my heart won't allow it.

Sometimes our impressions of a cartridge is influenced by what sort of day we had, which really isn't the fault of the cartridge.
Agreed, which is why I used at least 500 to compare.

The original World Cups were a bit on the evil side, apparently the newer loadings have matured in demeanour. 

Will, you are certainly not wrong about the smoothness of the Sporting 100's! Wow. 

I picked up a slab to try as an alternative to the FBlacks. I think it could be a great shell through 1/4 and 1/2 chokes.

They do say that variety is the spice of life....

0sLlBBJ.jpg

I was told Sporting 100 were a re-package of DTL300 so I tried a slab. They aren't.. DTL are smoother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like Eley Olympic Blues, loved Eley Blues but discontinued, so tried a few different brands but went back to Eley Olympic Blues, snappy clean and pattern very well in my Browning 725 Sporter. Kill miles out if you are on em with full choke, the best budget all rounder on the market in my humble oppinion!

I was told they are a replacement for Pro Ones which are apparently going to be phased out?
Pro One are Hull's 1500fps product, I would be surprised to see them go. The one that has disappeared was called ProSport.

Last edited by a moderator:
RC2s 24g. Love them. But I use Hull CompX 21g in 7.5 and 9 because they are cheap and no coach has ever said that the cartridge is letting me down.

I'm currently using a mix of FBlacks and F3's both in Italian 7.5.  As soon as I've used them up I'm going to have a thousand F3 piston. I've never had a Fiocchi misfire, their relatively smooth for the velocity and can't really be beaten on price for performance!  IMO.

Back