Mid level Competition cartridge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't even got my certificate yet so have no opinion.
What makes a bad cartridge? Can you tell? Would most shooters be able to tell the difference between a low, mid and high level cartridge if they allowed a friend to load their gun for them? What differences do you feel?

I haven't even got my certificate yet so have no opinion.
What makes a bad cartridge? Can you tell? Would most shooters be able to tell the difference between a low, mid and high level cartridge if they allowed a friend to load their gun for them? What differences do you feel?
A lot of people will judge a cartridge on recoil. Can't see how that can be done. I recently been using a cheaper cartridge a lot of people think is really punchy, but I quite like them. Another premium cartridge that is highly rated, I never want to put in my gun again. Perceived recoil comes down to your build, gun make and model, gun weight/mount/fit and cartridge.

I've also met people who judge cartridges on how dirty they leave their barrels!!

Some differences are obvious. If you patterned cheaper cartridge and you most likely see it's wider and less uniform. Quite often with lots of "fliers". A more expensive cartridge should give a nice uniform, and often tighter pattern. Tolerances on shot size, total shot weight, hardness, coatings, etc should all be better on more expensive cartridges, and all of this can affect the shot pattern. A pattern with holes in it may allow a target to slip through, even though you put the gun in the right place. I've seen some real cheap cartridges cut open, and some of the shot was clumped together, and all different sizes.

Buying top end cartridges at a novice, IMO is a waste of cash. You'll save probably £80/1000 by buying cartridges marketed towards the club shooter, eg Gamebore Velocity, Fiocchi FBlu, Eley Select, Hull Comp X, etc over the premium end cartridges. Use that £80 towards lessons or more cartridges. As you get better, and start shooting more difficult targets, then cartridge selection comes into play, and maybe you'll want to spend the extra cash on the more expensive ones.

A lot of people will judge a cartridge on recoil. Can't see how that can be done. I recently been using a cheaper cartridge a lot of people think is really punchy, but I quite like them. Another premium cartridge that is highly rated, I never want to put in my gun again. Perceived recoil comes down to your build, gun make and model, gun weight/mount/fit and cartridge.

I've also met people who judge cartridges on how dirty they leave their barrels!!

Some differences are obvious. If you patterned cheaper cartridge and you most likely see it's wider and less uniform. Quite often with lots of "fliers". A more expensive cartridge should give a nice uniform, and often tighter pattern. Tolerances on shot size, total shot weight, hardness, coatings, etc should all be better on more expensive cartridges, and all of this can affect the shot pattern. A pattern with holes in it may allow a target to slip through, even though you put the gun in the right place. I've seen some real cheap cartridges cut open, and some of the shot was clumped together, and all different sizes.

Buying top end cartridges at a novice, IMO is a waste of cash. You'll save probably £80/1000 by buying cartridges marketed towards the club shooter, eg Gamebore Velocity, Fiocchi FBlu, Eley Select, Hull Comp X, etc over the premium end cartridges. Use that £80 towards lessons or more cartridges. As you get better, and start shooting more difficult targets, then cartridge selection comes into play, and maybe you'll want to spend the extra cash on the more expensive ones.
I had no idea. Very informative, thank you

I am amongst that sort, although I don't know whether I've had the pleasure of meeting you. As you have stated, any cartridge that produces nice breaks on what I shoot them at will work, so between cartridges of similar performance I do look at how tidy the barrels are after shooting. There are two valid reasons for this, I think. One is I can well do without more cleaning chores (call me lazy) and the second one is that clean barrels equate to an efficient "burn-up" of the propellant that pushes out the shot. Dirt and unburnt powder means something in that process isn't as efficient as it should be, which I don't interpret as a sign of quality. So (leaving damp cartridges and cold, wet weather out of the equation) I do think the "cleaner" cartridge does a better job.

"Dirty" cartridges may also be the result of cold and damp storage conditions.

Recoil is mostly dependant on velocity and weight of the shot, less on the powder type - physics - I have yet to found a super fast cartridge that is super soft...

Then there is a psychics - highly subjective - it may differ even when using the same cartridge over different periods under different states of mind, under different conditions - "soft" cartridge today can be quite "hard" on some other occasion - and vice versa.

Having preconceived opinion and expectation about a certain thing (cartridge, choke...) also plays a big role...it matters a lot what you believe in.

Having preconceived opinion and expectation about a certain thing (cartridge, choke...) also plays a big role...it matters a lot what you believe in.
A couple of years ago I bought a particular slab of cartridges to try. Shot 2 of the worst rounds I've ever had with them. Absolutely nothing to do with the cartridges, but even now if I put one in my gun, the little devil on my shoulder says "You're gonna shoot badly with these, like last time". And I do. Every time.

One is I can well do without more cleaning chores (call me lazy) and the second one is that clean barrels equate to an efficient "burn-up" of the propellant that pushes out the shot.
Oh, I can be lazy too, but I do like a clean gun. Magicbore drill kit is my best friend. :D

A Nat champion told me once.. 'the cartridge is better than you are, shoot cheap and shoot more'.

I'm pretty sure I've never lost a clay due to the price of the cartridge, maybe I have, maybe it'd be 1 in a 1000 .. that doesn't worry me, as I'm never going to worry about it. If I were in contention for national or international honours, then yes I'd worry about that 1/1000 and buy the best shells I could get my hands on.

I look at it this way. There are quite a selection of bottom end cartridges on the market for £275 or less. I have used all the more popular brands in both 24gm and 28 gm. They all smash clays easily if you are on target. The mid range stuff is now selling around or above the £320 Mark. I have found they don't do the job any better but I do admit some may burn a slight bit cleaner and possibly feel a little softer, but not by very much. Personally I find shooting expensive enough and I am quite happy to pay£50 less for the bottom end stuff and put up the very slight difference.

Latest posts

Back