Truthfully, how much does your shooting cost per year ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As my shooting has now ended after close on 50 years, I think I could have paid off the national debt with what we have spent on shooting (all kinds). It's never been a hobby, more a way of life. A big thanks to our girty, who enjoyed travelling and supporting me.

Phil*

Ah but how much is the sponsorship worth in terms of guns, shells, entries, travel or whatever and no setting of coaching income against cost to produce a net figure!

Very little in real terms Robert. And as coaching is my full time job it is no different to you earning what you earn- totally unrelated.

Rough breakdown- 50 shoots @ £35 a pop = £1750

5000 shells approx £600

Rest is travel, bits and bobs, hotels etc.

What were you expecting??

I have always said to people that shooting properly is most expensive in the first year or three. You will buy all the kit from scratch and do lots of practice / get coaching in between weekly comps. Ed and other very experienced folk rarely shoot unless its a comp.

Doesn't bother me I earn every penny. What I spend it on has bugger all to do with the taxman.
Your missing out there my mate gets 1000 eley vip sporting a month though on vermin control,and he lives in a sixth floor flat.still to be fair pigeons love a window box..

Not as much shooting as I expected I suppose!

Still I suppose that once it's your job you look for other fun as well!

5000 shells approx £600

Ditto -- this is about my expenditure too....l also have one strict condition that is Mrs Orr also insists that I make her a Sunday roast every week when I get back, by the time I've done this cleaned the kitchen and my gun I'm well and truly knackered. The things we do to avoid becoming a shooting widow..... True story

5000 shells approx £600

+£5 for some gun oil so that choke doesn't get stuck again, or £2 for some mole grips, 

About £3000 per year although that's partially offset by sponsorship and some prize money. That's not including guns of course.

I'd guestimate mine equates to about 15,000 cartridges, the same amount of clays, 20 odd registered entries and some coaching days.

For what I get out of it, its well worth it to me.

What else would you all spend your shooting money on? Enjoy it while you can as you never know when it might end!!

What else would you all spend your shooting money on? Enjoy it while you can as you never know when it might end!!
You're right. I took the Sunday off recently. Family wanted to go out for lunch, for twice the cost of shooting!

This is such an interesting question but for me difficult to answer, the obstacle being which year ? Like most I found the start up costs made the first year harder but then the gun I bought was cheap by even those years standards. Do you factor in fuel, what about depreciation ? That can cause some serious dent if you do distance shoots every week. Do you take brown envelopes into account ? What about income / expenditure ratio ? Back when I could only afford to shoot once a fortnight the costs were still substantial given my income, today most of us wouldn't have the time to spend more on our shooting even if we wanted to. I shot pigeon once or twice a week too at one time; that sure isn't free. Reminds me, must get farmers drinks next week.

I would spend as little as £10 on some 80's straw baler but recall going home feeling well off with £30 in my pocket :lol:  , in the early 90's before I got married doing two or even three shoots on a Sunday was doable and fuel never even entered the equation since it cost £25 to fill up ! Today I'd be looking at £50 allowance just for fuel. Dread to even add up the costs for the guns. 

I'd be surprised if the top guys don't comfortably break even, I certainly came close when I shot more, even if I could only enter one or two smaller shoots the idea was to enter the pool and/or the skeet pool/compak, kinda hedging your bets to try and re-coup something. Many a time I avoided empty pockets by one last hurrah re-entry. 

In the past I've spent as much as £5-£6k in a year (double that in todays money), these days it's probably more like £2-£3k on shells including pigeon, and same again for entries, fuel I'd rather not think. 

In all it maybe adds up to £150k+ if you take into account all the other guns and accessories, fantastic value for money to be honest because it took me into the countryside and without that I'd be the poorer man.

I think mine works out fairly similar in costs:

~50 registered shoots - average £50 (Some FSP, some ESP) = £2500

6000 shells a year = £1000 (6 x 170)

£30 a weekend fuel = £1500

Add on £1500/£2000 for the luxury of shooting one event abroad and a few competitions + some kit occasionally.

Agree that startup years are more expensive.

Now - if I could figure out why I am still a bit crap at this... 

I did not take into account start up costs, clothes, guns, major competitions which even I have a bash at - when you start thinking of all that…..ah well.

What a dangerous question this is.

The average registered shoot is £38 entry, £21 cartridges, fuel £60 coffee/cake £5  £124 a shoot, x 50 shoots £6200

Plus £600 on major comps

Plus coaching i reckon i spent around £1200 this year,

Plus around £600 on practice shoots.

Plus equipment Pilla glass muller chokes £700

So around £9300 a year....wowsers and by the time i deduct the prize money at shoots this year around £9300.

Back