Truthfully, how much does your shooting cost per year ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

After being on this forum for a couple of months ( and loving it ) I am amazed at how much shooting some people seem to do. I have friends who are spending £15,000 a year , yes they have made AA, but is is really worth it? Personally it costs me around £4,000, witch is only a couple of big shoots a year, about 15 registered, travel, cartridges, the odd straw baler, club shoots, memberships, etc.

Your thoughts please

Hope my post is not to personal, it's just that I've had to look at my own costs after changing jobs and taking a pay cut.

I will be cherry picking the best shoots this year, the white gold challenge , RBSS handicap, the classic , British open, and the white gold 150 birds

Hope my post is not to personal, it's just that I've had to look at my own costs after changing jobs and taking a pay cut.

I will be cherry picking the best shoots this year, the white gold challenge , RBSS handicap, the classic , British open, and the white gold 150 birds
Just playing devils advocate. They may be the best shoots,but do you think you'll enjoy shooting them with a probable sub par performance through lack of practice/shooting? The majors for me are the icing on the cake...a chance for regular shooters to shine,and I want to be well prepared for them.

To answer the original question,I reckon £8,000-10,000.

Just playing devils advocate. They may be the best shoots,but do you think you'll enjoy shooting them with a probable sub par performance through lack of practice/shooting? The majors for me are the icing on the cake...a chance for regular shooters to shine,and I want to be well prepared for them.

To answer the original question,I reckon £8,000-10,000.
I still hope to do plenty of shooting mainly club stuff where we shoot in a small league (about 10) clubs in Herefordshire on a home and away basis. Cost £7.00 for 50 birds including dinner at there pub or ours, usually chips and sarnies and around £15.00 for high gun,these shoots are well attended (40 ) or so and it's very competitive. Been in A class a few times and picked up a few quid here and there but much more content being near the top of B, so not to worried about being a bit stale at the bigger shoots, I treat them as a day out and what will be will be

I probably spend:

£600 in entry fees 50 clays a week roughly

£750 in cartridges

£900 on game shooting

£200 on average on guns and equipment per year

£750 on fuel if I paid for it (works vehicle)

Bearing in mind I'm not registered, and do a bit if pigeoning and a little game shooting. I shoot with blokes that own small companies that spend £40,000 a year on game shooting alone, well that's a whole different leauge to you average bloke.

Well I can shoot a round of OT or UT for €10 including carts do four or five per week plus fuel and bits n bobs so lets say €70 per week. I have not done any comps this year but will next so a bit more on those weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still hope to do plenty of shooting mainly club stuff where we shoot in a small league (about 10) clubs in Herefordshire on a home and away basis. Cost £7.00 for 50 birds including dinner at there pub or ours, usually chips and sarnies and around £15.00 for high gun,these shoots are well attended (40 ) or so and it's very competitive. Been in A class a few times and picked up a few quid here and there but much more content being near the top of B, so not to worried about being a bit stale at the bigger shoots, I treat them as a day out and what will be will be
Sounds like the sort of league that they hold in Yorkshire. great fun and affordable.

Far too much...!

Trust me.......Never add up game shooting....!!

The amount quoted (depending of your choice) will only get you limited grouse days or phesies if he is buying the whole day......or if only one person..about 20-25 high days. It is not easy to compare......and is horses for courses. One mans great day is another mans nightmare....just saying.

A lot
Weekly practice
CPSA Reg shooting
All the majors
Scottish trips
European trips
Game shooting
All hotels and meals associated
Then there's the Tackle I fill my cottage with.

A
L
O
T!

Dear Lord, don't let the wife sell the guns for what she thinks they cost.

I am not even going to try to estimate what it costs to shoot, because when you factor in items such as guns it becomes rather frightening.

I happily tell my wife that I spent over £10k last year on shooting - I divorced her years ago!  :hunter:

Back