Truthfully, how much does your shooting cost per year ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This question should never have bren asked and we should not have got our calculator app out.

just saying

I think once you start quantifying a hobby you enjoy it is time to pack it in.

Thank you all for response to my post and apologies to those that did not like it. It seems the average is around 3/4 thousand pounds for most of us, so I will be happy to tell the mrs that I'm not being obsessive with my shooting , just doing what everyone else is.

Working hard to pay for a sport that I love

To put things into perspective everything is expensive.

You go to a good restaurant with the Mrs on a sat night, you call at a wine bar 1st and have a glass. You have your meal with a bottle of wine then you finish with a brandy, You call back at the wine bar and have a night cap, you may need a taxi. So £100 minimum and that's northern price not London price. Do that once a week and your 5k per year.

The moral is never take the wife out.

Oh and before anyone says i do that as well, then your a crazy fool.

Buy a bottle of wine, make your own meal at home, its cheaper probably nicer and the company will be better.

The point is whatever you do costs money so who cares.

Thank you all for response to my post and apologies to those that did not like it. It seems the average is around 3/4 thousand pounds for most of us, so I will be happy to tell the mrs that I'm not being obsessive with my shooting , just doing what everyone else is.Working hard to pay for a sport that I love
I don't think anyone is upset really...just fluffy rabbits! :p

Some people will spend lots on going to football matches etc, some will spend huge amounts just in the pub...4k a year on an outdoor hobby is reasonable methinks. As Ips said, everything you do costs money...

I don't think anyone is upset really...just fluffy rabbits! :p

Some people will spend lots on going to football matches etc, some will spend huge amounts just in the pub...4k a year on an outdoor hobby is reasonable methinks. As Ips said, everything you do costs money...
Quite agree no hobby is cheap these days, tried boat ownership and water skiing a long time ago now that was stupid money but that's another story

Quite agree no hobby is cheap these days, tried boat ownership and water skiing a long time ago now that was stupid money but that's another story
oh yes 5L V8 chevy in my 28' sporrts cruiser was good for 8 gallon an hour. Frightening, and that is without marina costs.

Blimey, some of you spend more than I earn...

I shoot one comp a month in winter, and two in summer, with no practise in-between.

I can barely afford that, but always look forward to the few days I have.. :)

As a shooting mate of mine said recently "if you think clay shooting is an expensive hobby, try rallying!"

Now that is a seriously expensive past time... even at grass roots level!

Shoot no more than you can afford...

And if that means selling the kids to afford it.?.. So be it!

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
Try philandering ! Now that can be seriously expensive ???

I have a very good idea how much my shooting costs me, I am just amazed at how I manage to afford it.

But don't count the cost, just do it and enjoy it.

I asked myself this question for myself and my wife three years ago - she now how two horses and I joined a golf club!

Try philandering ! Now that can be seriously expensive ???

I have a very good idea how much my shooting costs me, I am just amazed at how I manage to afford it.

But don't count the cost, just do it and enjoy it.
Being married ain't cheap either Pete. My wife asked if I would get married again if she was tragically killed. I told her that there would be a strong purchase versus rent evaluation going on.

Well I have just finished my 1st year of holding a SGC.

Starting from scratch and buying a S/H Gun I would say it has cost me 9K

BUt thats everything from Cabinet, Gun, Cleaning Stuff, Clothing the lot.

Its not that bad though the last tuba i bought was 8.5k and I have 2 now ..

PLUS I now drink very little due to shooting most weekends so in my mind and my better halves mind, my shooting costs me nearly nothing..

Just had my Winter fuel payment. Yippee, Phezzies here I come.

Hope the Wife wraps up warm . :haha:

About £1700 in 2012 including some lessons but plus fuel, but I mostly shoot in either Suffolk or Essex.  May be looking at going further afield next year.

Before I packed up shooting I wouldn't have dreamed of adding up the cost but when I did pack in I worked it out to see how much better off we would be and consider what we might do with it.

The cost per year for cartridges,entry fees and subscriptions, was over £3000.

I did not factor in food and travel costs 'cos I will spend that anyway on something else.

Vic.

flip after reading all this about how much you guys spend on shooting each year I am going to have to get a job as I don't know how my dad does it for two of us week in week out and a trip or two over to England every year since I was 12, Thanks dad 

Back