Trigger pulls

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha! I have just come up with a motto for chokes: "Chokes will affect the kill but rarely effect a kill". Smug. Like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have spoken to Dennis who basically said the following:-

The 682 is too light

The 686E is about at its design weight

The 686SP1 is on the heavy side

Evidently these guns don't have the sophistication of trigger to set a precise trigger weight but he can adjust to be more acceptable to me.  

Interestingly he says that as I have a background in target shooting I probably squeeze the trigger properly for a rifle shooter whereas I ought to pull the trigger on the shotguns.  Shotgun manufacturers have been increasing trigger pull weights over the years due to health & safety to avoid premature discharges.

He said that if you spend upwards of £5k on a shotgun like a Perazzi or a DT10 or DT11 you will get a trigger that is more sophisticated and can be adjusted with much more precision.

To my mind pulling the trigger risks pulling the gun off-track, causing a miss!

He has a month's lead time of work so no rush to get them to him.

He said that if you spend upwards of £5k on a shotgun like a Perazzi or a DT10 or DT11 you will get a trigger that is more sophisticated and can be adjusted with much more precision.
Did you ask him what gun he uses himself Robert? It's not one of the above and it's way less than £5K !!! :biggrin:

Robert, just a small point that may have some bearing on your 'frozen finger'. You state that you have been a target shooter in the past. I can recall a chap that contacted me for a lesson as he was having quite a bit of 'frozen finger' problems along with his wrist aching on a 100 DTL shoot. I watched him shoot some DTL targets and noticed that he occasionally left his thumb on the top strap of the gun. I pointed this out but could see no other reason for the problem other than possibly a very accute angled pistol grip. He was unaware that he had developed this habit of leaving his thumb on top of the gun, however he made a conscious effort to stop. I saw him again some 4 months later and the problem had not occured again. Just a thought.  

Hi Westley

Many thanks for the thought.  There are a few target guns where people do put their thumb behind the gun as opposed to around the stock when it is not a true thumbhole stock.  Mine is a true thumbhole and I also shoot pistol with proper hand sculpted pistol grips so am pretty sure that I am holding the gun OK. I also don't have a problem with an aching wrist. 

I am pretty convinced that it is the high trigger pull weight as what I have quoted above were the averages of 6 pulls in both metric and imperial measurements and some were noticeably higher and some much lower than the averages quoted and I think if I get a very high trigger weight now and again my normal squeeze doesn't let it off and then I seem to snatch at it to get the shot off.  Always seems to be first and bottom barrel and it doesn't happen with the much lower weighted 682 trap gun which apart from some DTL I also use for sporting sometimes.

Looks like I shall be taking the 682 on Friday!

to be honest, I have no idea about trigger pulls. For now, I'll keep it that way....
Like a few other things, you don't really need to know about them until a problem emerges.. I was on my fourth gun before the subject ever arose..

I refer you to ignorance is bliss post.

Think thats the best idea nick, dont cloud your mind with things unless you have a known issue just shoot the target.

I have to say that I already had the electronic trigger gauge for the target rifle and pistols.  ISSF rules for the air pistol require a minimum weight of 500 grams but the others can be anything and the rifle and free pistol are between 100 and 150 grams.  Some shoot with even lower trigger weights than that and some triggers are 2 stage with a weight for each stage and others are single stage like shotgun triggers.  Current price is between £60 and £90 so it pays to shop around if you fancy one.

Think thats the best idea nick, dont cloud your mind with things unless you have a known issue just shoot the target.
Alternatively just buy an MX8 and forget all about trigger pull issues. Sorry smilie emoticon not currently available as on iPad
DT

I went to Wellington to see Dennis Stepney today and to drop off 2 Beretta's that have heavy triggers to be adjusted.  I met him and his partner.  Dennis is the out and out Miroku fan and his partner favours Berettas.  I think there is another guy who was off doing something else.  The workshop had lots of beautiful stocks in various stages of work but those nearing completion had the most beautiful shine.  Dennis was re-cutting some chequering when I arrived.  I think he was concerned that I had brought the ones for lightening when he would have preferred to increase the weight of the light one first but that would have taken far too long as he has a month's work in hand.  

Whilst I was there he showed me a Beretta 20 bore that he has for sale which has only fired 150 cartridges but the bloke who bought it hates it - £1,100 - Its still in its plastic bubble wrap in the case.

A S/H Perazzi black actioned MX2000 also arrived whilst I was there which may also be for sale which had an adjustable comb and adjustable rib with the standard detachable trigger. The engineering and finish of the internals of the trigger were superb and the action and top lever were like silk to open and close which was effortless to do.

There may also be a S/H Beretta 692 arriving shortly at a great saving over new.

I bought a S/H Beretta plastic case for my 682 as a consolation which didn't have one when I bought it!

I think I may be falling for the Perazzi brand having handled one for the first time.

Les - He asked me to say Hi and said thanks for the recommendation!   :D   :D   :D

Back