Trigger pulls

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for those replies, I can understand the 'glass rod snapping' analogy, but having never shot anything particularly expensive I probably don't know what I'm missing and I think I better keep it that way.  (Like listening to a better record player than yours makes you then find fault with yours which you were previously happy with).

Thanks for those replies, I can understand the 'glass rod snapping' analogy, but having never shot anything particularly expensive I probably don't know what I'm missing and I think I better keep it that way.  (Like listening to a better record player than yours makes you then find fault with yours which you were previously happy with).
Exactly!!

My dt11 is the only gun I ever owned that had a trigger that I was happy with straight from the box. Every other gun I ever owned always had to have the triggers done to suit me.

Just like to clarify, My DT10 triggers(two sets) are very good, I am just being fussy about tarp shooting. http://www.tirovesti.co.uk/
I had a DT10 some years ago and when I first got it the pulls were way too light and it also had a double discharge issue too! It was quickly fixed by Gordon Swatton who at that time worked for Tony Kennedy at Bisley, who supplied the gun. After that I had no trouble with it other than a very slight crack in a spring,I had it replaced but it didn't actually break though!

Best trigger that I ever encountered had Roy Rogers on it's back..................................'just sayin partner'

I have an SO6 with a trigger pulls of 2 1/4 Lbs. for each barrel. I have just brought a Remington 1100 auto and it had a 7Lbs pull i could not even fire it, i then had to buy a trimley trigger and had the fitted and adjusted to 2 1/4 lbs. I have lost a lot of clay target because i could not pull the second shot. I personal like a 2 1/4 lbs. pulls on both barrels.

I have got 2 Miroku with 32" barrels the pull on them are bottom 2 1/4 lbs. top barrel 3 1/4 lbs. I have got to have them done by a gunsmith or i will have them up for sale.

Regards

Hotshot Rasher

nothing to do with the original post,,,, but anecdotal,,

I had one of my .45 pistols 'tuned' for combat shooting , many years ago,,anyway, first time out on the range, full auto with 10 rounds ! :haha:

sent it back to the gunsmith's very quickly! with a rude note too! :biggrin:

I have an SO6 with a trigger pulls of 2 1/4 Lbs. for each barrel. I have just brought a Remington 1100 auto and it had a 7Lbs pull i could not even fire it, i then had to buy a trimley trigger and had the fitted and adjusted to 2 1/4 lbs. I have lost a lot of clay target because i could not pull the second shot. I personal like a 2 1/4 lbs. pulls on both barrels.

I have got 2 Miroku with 32" barrels the pull on them are bottom 2 1/4 lbs. top barrel 3 1/4 lbs. I have got to have them done by a gunsmith or i will have them up for sale.

Regards

Hotshot Rasher
Oooh SO6 i am drooling here.

I have been meaning to test the trigger weights of my 3 Beretta shotguns for a while now so here is the data taken with a Lyman electronic trigger gauge:-

My primary sporting gun - 686E - Bottom barrel average 2100 grams, top barrel average 1800 grams or 4lbs 10oz and 3lbs 15ozs respectively - I probably get about 5 trigger freezes in a round resulting in a quick readjust and a hard pull usually resulting in a miss!  The gun is not quite 2 years old and probably fired no more than 5k rounds

My trap gun 682 - Bottom barrel average 1200 grams, top barrel average 1500 grams or 2lbs 10ozs and 2lbs 6ozs respectively - I reckon the trigger weights on this gun are great but it is quite old but in good nick and I've no idea how much use it has had.

686 Silver Pigeon 1 sporter used for ladies & youngsters - top barrel average 2400 grams, bottom barrel average 2100 grams or 5lbs 5ozs and 4lbs 10ozs respectively - surprised that these are even heavier than my 686E but I don't use it - just coming up to 2 years old and don't know how much use it had in its first year but not a lot as the action is still stiff even now.

What does anyone think about these weights?

Have I not read that first barrel weight should be higher than second barrel weights?

Tempted to get someone like Dennis Stepney or Nigel Teague to adjust the 2 newer guns down to about 1600 grams 3lbs 8ozs on both first and second stages - what does everyone think?

My target shooting probably means that I like a lighter trigger but would I be aiming (sic) for pulls that are too light?

By the way I can bring the gauge to RBSS on Friday if any of the group want to weigh their triggers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Robert,
Interesting. Nice to have a gauge to hand.

A bit like gun fit, the correct measurements should be applied when the shooter is standing and holding correctly.. So first of all ensure that you are happy and fixed with your finger position on the trigger; too far round and the finger is very strong and clumsy. (With a rifle background I suspect you have it well positioned).

I think the accepted wisdom is that rifles should have a very light trigger, as the shot (shooter) is very calm and considered. Trap shotgun is not wildy different to rifle ethics. Sporting shotgun needs a firmer pull because the shooting can involve a bit more 'reaction' and even a bit of hurried movement that can mean an imperfect grip. I found that when I had a 3lb sporting trigger I would occasionally fire before I meant to. This went on for a year, so not a case of getting used to it. 4.5lbs feel a bit stiff to me, so mine are set and about 3.75lb. Perfect for me.

Will

I have had a very few times when the 682 has caught me by surprise with an earlier than planned release so they might perhaps be upped a bit with the other two being reduced.

Sounds like you have it just about perfect at about 3.75lbs so perhaps that would be a good place to start with them all.

What prompted this was the number of times I couldn't pull the trigger on Saturday which makes me wonder which gun to bring on Friday - the trap gun is 3/4 and full choke but I don't get trigger freezes but the 2 sporters are multi-choke and I have Mullers 1 & 2 in the 686E which are probably better suited to RBSS than 3/4 & Full!

I ought to give Dennis a phone call but I doubt that he could fit me in before Friday.

Will

I have had a very few times when the 682 has caught me by surprise with an earlier than planned release so they might perhaps be upped a bit with the other two being reduced.

Sounds like you have it just about perfect at about 3.75lbs so perhaps that would be a good place to start with them all.

What prompted this was the number of times I couldn't pull the trigger on Saturday which makes me wonder which gun to bring on Friday - the trap gun is 3/4 and full choke but I don't get trigger freezes but the 2 sporters are multi-choke and I have Mullers 1 & 2 in the 686E which are probably better suited to RBSS than 3/4 & Full!

I ought to give Dennis a phone call but I doubt that he could fit me in before Friday.
i really wouldn't worry about the 3/4 and full. there are some long targets that will suit this   :)  But seriously it is 98% about where you point it - and you need to like the gun more than anything else. The chokes affect the look of the kill, but rarely whether or not there is a kill.. Bring a few fibre cartridges with you for the closer stuff. (Typically this is like opening up by a 1/4 choke).

Back