Short Arms ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Ben, what am I looking for in a good 'fit'? Am I looking for just how it feels or are there some factual things I should bear in mind when holding it? Arm, hand position, cheek placement, eyeline etc. Being so new it's a bit of a minefield. Thanks.
How it feels is the most irrelevant part. Where r u based

Thanks Ben, what am I looking for in a good 'fit'? Am I looking for just how it feels or are there some factual things I should bear in mind when holding it? Arm, hand position, cheek placement, eyeline etc. Being so new it's a bit of a minefield. Thanks.

A gun that doesn't hurt you when you shoot it would be the best start. I'm also cursed with arms that are far shorter than average for my height and I feel your pain. I'm 5,6 with short arms and shoot a gun that has a 14 1/4" inch LOP.

I'm no gun fitter but to me, a gun should feel like it's moulded to you and not as if you are trying to mould yourself around the gun to make it fit. It should feel like an extension of yourself and be a pleasure to hold and use. General rules of thumb like the crook of the arm, three fingers from the nose etc are bullshit.

This won't be easy for you as a new starter as you won't know what this feels like and you have no frame of reference. As per other suggestions, I would see a (good) coach who operates from a ground that has access to a lot of different club or demo guns. Even if you spent your first hour or so just trying to figure out what feels right for you and then shooting them.

I'd wager that 80% plus of the people here sold their first gun within a year of starting as they would have bought blind, developed as a shooter and found out that the gun didn't suit their needs. I know I did and took a bath when I came to trade it in.

UPDATE
So I spent a couple of hours at Banbury Gunsmiths the other day. Steve was extremely patient, friendly, helpful and seemed knowledgeable. He spent quite a bit of time with me trying different guns and different stock lengths. He pretty much said what a lot of you guys said about gun fit and arm length. Apparently I am not outside of the 'norm' as far as arm length and height go, in fact he was only slightly taller than me. LOL
He did notice that I was mounting too low and that I needed to raise the stock to meet my cheek, not the other way around.
Any way, after a good couple of hours looking, feeling and holding different guns I purchased an O&U ATA sporter with a nice padded butt . He gave me (what I thought) was a decent price on an ex demo. I may have been able to get one cheaper on guntrader but am happy to pay for his expertise and help. He even chucked in a new slip too. Obviously we wont know until I get it out and put some shells through it. I hope it's a keeper.
Thank you to everyone for their advice, I appreciate all the info and am happy to learn everything I can from you all.

Will keep you updated when I get out again.

P.S if anyone wants to buy an AYA SxS let me know......;)

For the money you are likely to get for the AyA, I would hang on to it. IF it is standard stock on the AyA it will be 14 1/2" l.o.p. but the straight hand stock will also affect your hand positioning, as will the forend. Keep shooting with your 'new' gun until you have progressed a bit more, and do not hesitate to seek good Instructional advice, as and when you need it.

For the money you are likely to get for the AyA, I would hang on to it. IF it is standard stock on the AyA it will be 14 1/2" l.o.p. but the straight hand stock will also affect your hand positioning, as will the forend. Keep shooting with your 'new' gun until you have progressed a bit more, and do not hesitate to seek good Instructional advice, as and when you need it.
I’ve still got my first 12 , had it since I was 17 , won’t ever sell it ,not had it in my shoulder for years , but guessing with what I know now it’s about 60mm short , tho some very knowledgeable wildfowler bloke sold it to me as great fit . Embarrassing clown

Latest posts

Back