Trigger Freeze

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you not attach a string from your toe to the trigger and stamp your foot?

After giving the correct lead of course.

Could you not attach a string from your toe to the trigger and stamp your foot?

After giving the correct lead of course.
If an entire Trap squad adopted this approach, it would resemble the front line of Riverdance !!

There used to be a self proclaimed 'expert' on here re trigger flinch.....

Anyway, you would be better off listening to Salopian as he was the one who provided the information in the first place....

Can be recoil related? change to 24 gramme shells for a couple of months see what happens>
For me its as Shootinguru says, always a second barrel issue and although recoil doesn't bother me as such it is obviously as a result of the first shot.

Seems to me that there is no solution/cure for this.  And since this topic is common to about every shotgun forum and this is the severalth time it has occurred here there likely seems no new data either.  Not to doubt Salopian, but if he had a real cure he could make the megabuck peddling that word-wide.

So do a search at any site and see the SOS everywhere - what a surprise.  Or not.

Thank you for all your comments.

IPS no problem with your first post don't worry. :)

It's an odd thing as sometimes I can shoot 150 clays and possibly get it once.

Very rarely do I get it more than twice during a days shooting and I don't always get it sometimes shooting 150 or so clays clear of any issues?

I am also one of those shooters who can kill the first pair on a stand and then not replicate it for the remaining 6 or so shots!!

I will look into the document mentioned in the post.

Regards Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonko,

The issue is I give help and advice freely, so if it is free it cannot be much good ! According to those with an ego to massage.

I have actually cured (yes I did say cured ) a very well known publisher and editor of many shooting publications and books. But he still relies on an 'expert ' for his coaching articles.

Seems to me that there is no solution/cure for this.  And since this topic is common to about every shotgun forum and this is the severalth time it has occurred here there likely seems no new data either.  
If you think that you have not been paying attention to what I have been saying on the subject. 

Trigger freeze is a mental problem usually based on fear of missing, brought on by missing in the past. To cure the freeze the sufferer will have to get around their brain and acknowledge that they have emotions attached to their shooting. The one massively brave man who came to see me for trigger freeze said he wanted a reduction of incidents to 3% of clays and that's about what he got in the long run. My work is person-centred : if he wants to do more work to address the final 3% he will, but I can't make him want to. Most shooters don't want to address trigger freeze because on some level the state of having the condition works for them. It's a lot easier to say you never made world champion because you had an unfortunate condition than it is to face up to the fact that, as you thought, you were never quite good enough. 

I stand by my former claims: I guarantee my work. When I was offering to work for no charge I had just one enquiry. So Wonko, you're wrong. Most people don't want to be  cured, and will take any excuse - too far, too costly, too time consuming, whatever - to stay where they are. It's not their fault, it's the nature of the human brain. 

Out of interest, does anyone know a woman shooter with trigger freeze? I've known some scared of recoil but not freeze itself.

ehb102,

A very good post,

Out of interest, does anyone know a woman shooter with trigger freeze? I've known some scared of recoil but not freeze itself.
It would also be of interest , does anyone know of women suffering from the 'yips' in golf?  Second question, it would be very interesting also if we knew there gender.As we are learning  it has a lot to do with our thought process.

If you think that you have not been paying attention to what I have been saying on the subject. 

Trigger freeze is a mental problem usually based on fear of missing, brought on by missing in the past. To cure the freeze the sufferer will have to get around their brain and acknowledge that they have emotions attached to their shooting. The one massively brave man who came to see me for trigger freeze said he wanted a reduction of incidents to 3% of clays and that's about what he got in the long run. My work is person-centred : if he wants to do more work to address the final 3% he will, but I can't make him want to. Most shooters don't want to address trigger freeze because on some level the state of having the condition works for them. It's a lot easier to say you never made world champion because you had an unfortunate condition than it is to face up to the fact that, as you thought, you were never quite good enough. 

I stand by my former claims: I guarantee my work. When I was offering to work for no charge I had just one enquiry. So Wonko, you're wrong. Most people don't want to be  cured, and will take any excuse - too far, too costly, too time consuming, whatever - to stay where they are. It's not their fault, it's the nature of the human brain. 

This has got me thinking, even allowing for their far fewer numbers I have never heard/read or come across a woman with this problem. I don't pretend to know for sure but have always thought recoil and the fear of it is less of a factor than fear of missing.  We know for example that release triggers can be hugely beneficial in getting around the problem but clearly the gun still goes off and produces recoil so surely the brain would still find a way to not release the trigger if recoil was a big factor ? 

I do not believe it is recoil related I believe it is simply anxiety and or doubt about missing.

Mechanical release triggers can be beneficial but I know of a gentleman who has been down this route and initially had good results but the problem returned and he is now using an buttoned electronic release trigger, with great success but for how long!

I've had the problem on and off for years and what has helped me recently is quite basic. Instead of mounting the gun and tilting my head forward, I keep my head up and bring the gun up to the cheek. This way I do not lose my peripheral vision and do not hesitate on the target. Having the comb set higher also helps to keep my head up. Not a cure but a help!

I do not believe it is recoil related I believe it is simply anxiety and or doubt about missing.
I agree with that Ian. The only time I get any problem is when I am tired and the target has got away from me a bit. It is almost as if my brain says you are not going to hit that and usually end up having a very delayed trigger pull as I fight to pull the trigger... thank god it happens very rarely!

I think there is a lot of over analytical mumbo jumbo about this issue. You don't pull the trigger because your subconscious overrides your brain cos it knows your not on it. Simples imho

As with all issues, it is not a black and white problem and there are various issues causing people problems.

these include fear of missing, recoil related, visual problems, gun fit etc etc.

much like eye dominance there is not a blanket approach or a one size fits all, two people with a similar issue can have different causes and different solutions.

As with all issues, it is not a black and white problem and there are various issues causing people problems.

these include fear of missing, recoil related, visual problems, gun fit etc etc.

much like eye dominance there is not a blanket approach or a one size fits all, two people with a similar issue can have different causes and different solutions.
I defo have these two problems. The other two I am not aware of ... does not mean I don't have them subconsciously though !

I apologize to any and all who may have been offended in some way by my remarks.  I can only speak from my own experience.

Salopian, I sympathize with your situation.  Free advice is often met with the same gratitude as loaning $ to relatives.  Some time ago I ceased to participate in the process for that and a number of other reasons.  My life is much simpler now that I only marvel at other people's problems and refrain from any attempt to solve them.

Last edited by a moderator:

your last sentence seems to confirm my thoughts that it is not recoil related furthermore anyone who suffers the effects of recoil should get a gun that fits and or correct there gun mount. Modern cartridges are much softer generally than they were thirty years ago also comp guns seem much heavier therefore there really is no excuse to experience recoil at all.

Latest posts

Back