Tighter choke for newbies?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand the principle but given tighter chokes are likely to create more misses and that can have an impact on confidence, I'm not so sure it's a great idea.

John was a great friend of mine and he started with quarter quarter in his later days moved to half
Seem to remember early on he was reputed to use Winchester Winner 8s and would probably have been 32gm in those days as well. 8s were a bit of an innovation at that time!

I am great believer that all chokes should have coloured rings. It is common knowledge that some colours (particularly blue & purple) help shot spread. The Briley Spectrum chokes are my preferred choice as the the band is substantial and its easy to see from a distance that your gun is the preatiest kit in the ground.

Having read this thread I think large coloured bands on chokes should be mandatory for AA and above. Not only will it bring out the best in them, particularly if they colour match the rest of their outfit, but THE REST OF US WILL KNOW WHAT THEY ARE USING.

I am great believer that all chokes should have coloured rings. It is common knowledge that some colours (particularly blue & purple) help shot spread. The Briley Spectrum chokes are my preferred choice as the the band is substantial and its easy to see from a distance that your gun is the preatiest kit in the ground.

Having read this thread I think large coloured bands on chokes should be mandatory for AA and above. Not only will it bring out the best in them, particularly if they colour match the rest of their outfit, but THE REST OF US WILL KNOW WHAT THEY ARE USING.
Do you honestly care ?

I used to be a choke changer and a cartridge changer. I would look at every stand and select what I thought was the correct choke for every target and I carried 9s 8s 7 1/2s and 6 1/2s. Now I use a fixed 3/4 and full trap gun and only use 7 1/2s and it's made absolutely no difference to my average.

I used to be a choke changer and a cartridge changer. I would look at every stand and select what I thought was the correct choke for every target and I carried 9s 8s 7 1/2s and 6 1/2s. Now I use a fixed 3/4 and full trap gun and only use 7 1/2s and it's made absolutely no difference to my average.
So did I ! I stopped when I was about 18 though. That was over 60 years ago. 😄

Westley. You need to understand that some shooters like to have the reputation of owning the "preatiest" kit......whatever that means?

Westley - Not really & my post was very much tongue in cheek.

1/4 & 1/2 stay in my gun with cartridges for close, normal and long range. I tend to buy Teague but I do pay extra for the markings (an eyesight thing)

Will has made the point (quite rightly) that this creates too many choices but in practice there's three,

Close up - Close range cartridge (9) in the 1/4.
Far away - Long Range (7 or so) in the 1/2.
Everything else - Standard jobbies and barrel select the 1/2 for the furthest kill point.

Other peoples choices are of interest but they are not mine.

That explains why I'm a crapshot.........I'm colour blind.

Unless you pattern your chokes with your chosen cartridges, whatever is written on them is just numbers or letters. Most of the latest chokes I see are listed 35 thou full, 40 thou Extra Full. Old standard was every ten though of an inch tighter than the bore was a quarter of a choke. The new 35 thou full is 7/8th by measurement but could be anything depending on cartridges used. Can be fun on an easy clay changing chokes to tighter and seeing the difference in breaks. Also how much margin for error you actually have.

As previously mentioned, it all depends upon what classes as a newbie .
As a novice I would say far more important things to consider prior to choke choice . Sporting just stick quarter and half in , that will be sufficient for everything.
Focus on footwork , stance , gun fit hold and kill point , forget about chokes for a couple of years

As previously mentioned, it all depends upon what classes as a newbie .
As a novice I would say far more important things to consider prior to choke choice . Sporting just stick quarter and half in , that will be sufficient for everything.
Focus on footwork , stance , gun fit hold and kill point , forget about chokes for a couple of years
Oh and most critical of all , some lessons from someone whom actually knows what they talking about ( enquire locally )

I started shooting clays (about 1970) with a cheap old side by side choked at 3/4 and Full, it was a revelation when I had a go with my mates Winchester 101 Lightweight O/U with1/4 and 1/2, needless to say, it wasn't long before I had one too

Latest posts

Back