Newcomers to our sport.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chap, as both a referee and shot I’m always amazed at how many coaches / competitors don’t / won’t either know / adhere to the rules in order to gain a perceived advantage, and believe me it’s got rapidly worse theses last 4/5 years, clay bashing is a very very pleasant social pastime, competitive clay bashing seems to bring out in some somewhat different attitudes, and sadly not all are well received. 
As before hope this chap has not been deterred from trying again. 
This shoot was technically a Police /Services shoot that is open to a limited number of Guests. As I have shot this annual event since the 70's and I know how relaxed it is, I decided to take the newbie for the experience of shooting targets that he is not able to shoot at our local grounds. There was NEVER going to be any safety issues and I believe that in any other squad, I would never have posted any of this. I am FULLY aware of the rules, in particular to coaching, which is why I had cleared it before I went and with each Ref at the stands. I will ENSURE it does not put him off in future. He stood nothing to gain from my helping him, other than making his first event a more enjoyable experience. There were no money prizes, just glass trophies to be won.

Last edited by a moderator:
Westley

if I was reffing that particular squad my reaction would have been crack on, give the novice as much help as possible.

And to the others who were moaning I’d say remember you were a novice once.

Hhhmm… a tricky one to call but, as with progression in any sport, you really do need to be ‘ready’ before you take the next step and from the above overview, I’m not sure your friend was ready.

A local 100bird club shoot etc is fine but if you’re going to go to a competition and put yourself in that environment then you need to be 100% aware of what to expect, what the appropriate etiquette is at these types of events and be confident enough in your own ability to handle the situation just as much as the targets presented.

Either way, it will have been a useful learning experience on what to expect next time.

Happy shooting.

Not sure why there cannot be a targets only with some form of L plate for new people entering first couple of comps, they cannot win anything, people and refs will know they are new to it and can give some informed guidance/leniancy, no compromise on being safe but just able to have a taster and prepare to go solo, would not cause me any issues (maybe not for championship events)

Not sure why there cannot be a targets only with some form of L plate for new people entering first couple of comps, they cannot win anything, people and refs will know they are new to it and can give some informed guidance/leniancy, no compromise on being safe but just able to have a taster and prepare to go solo, would not cause me any issues (maybe not for championship events)
Well that’s an idea, I wonder how the experienced guys would react to it though. 
Be nice if there could be whole squads of learners together I guess. But I doubt if there would be enough of them together at any one time. 

Should be pretty easy for sporting .  . Let the novice enter ‘ birds only’ . let the novice drop out of rotation on every stand and shoot last . No one inconvenienced , no one distracted , in fact they can be walking to the next stand whilst Wesley supervises his buddy .  If anyone wants to think he might gain some advantage somewhere  , then chuck his card in the bin  job sorted . 

I still think for any newbie heading into competition:

Practice shooting until you are hitting enough to feel comfortable and that your gun handling is safe and easy for you.
Then read the rules and if you’ve never seen a squad shoot a competition go and watch one for a few stands, which should reveal a lot. Then just go in and shoot properly yourself. No weird half way method. Let’s face it it’s not complicated really and experience of proper behaviour from the start will be the best way forward. 

My first experience was a lot different, I tried my first registered at Honesberrie at the old farm out by Southam BO of course. Turned up, booked in and was the 6th man in a regular squad of 5 whom were all experienced shooters. Everyone said hello, asked how new i was to the sport (3 months at the time) and we carried on. I was asking them question between stands "what chokes did you use on that stand" and they gave encouragement after each stand "well shot or finished well etc".

One of the experience A class shooters gave me tips between stands and on one stand where i was chipping the back edge he did advise giving it a "bit more" which gave the clay smashed output. He didnt watch my barrels and it was more of a heckle, I was on 33/100 with 2 stands left, so i wasn't going to take the high gun. I was last on the final stand and they all stayed a watched, waited until the scorecards were handed back and we walked back to the shed area together. Polite goodbyes etc and a handshake, and this made a lasting impact on how to treat others.

I can say the majority of registered shoots I go to, I rock up solo. Most squads i have been in are friendly, helpful and want each other to succeed. You do get the odd 'pro' squad who are a bit miserable and angsty but i guess they're worrying about their AA classification.

Im at Garlands on Sunday if anyones going?

My first experience was a lot different, I tried my first registered at Honesberrie at the old farm out by Southam BO of course. Turned up, booked in and was the 6th man in a regular squad of 5 whom were all experienced shooters. Everyone said hello, asked how new i was to the sport (3 months at the time) and we carried on. I was asking them question between stands "what chokes did you use on that stand" and they gave encouragement after each stand "well shot or finished well etc".

One of the experience A class shooters gave me tips between stands and on one stand where i was chipping the back edge he did advise giving it a "bit more" which gave the clay smashed output. He didnt watch my barrels and it was more of a heckle, I was on 33/100 with 2 stands left, so i wasn't going to take the high gun. I was last on the final stand and they all stayed a watched, waited until the scorecards were handed back and we walked back to the shed area together. Polite goodbyes etc and a handshake, and this made a lasting impact on how to treat others.

I can say the majority of registered shoots I go to, I rock up solo. Most squads i have been in are friendly, helpful and want each other to succeed. You do get the odd 'pro' squad who are a bit miserable and angsty but i guess they're worrying about their AA classification.

Im at Garlands on Sunday if anyones going?
Glad you enjoyed your experience!!
If it was a pro squad AA classification will be the last thing they are worried about 😉

I shot at a FRIENDLY Christmas Shoot, just prior to Christmas. Being a Christmas shoot, there were quite a few novices shooting, even so it was still a competition. It was decided that, rather than slow things, the novices would only shoot 50 birds, the experienced shooting 100. I was in a squad with 3 novices, my Grandson and a guy that I had introduced to shooting, being 2 of them. After the first 2 stands I realised the other novice was not doing so well. The next stand was a slow away followed by a slow incomer. His left eye was master eye. Anyway, suffice it to say I was giving instructions to all 3 novices. This seriously affected my score, but ALL 3 novices shot PB's (personal bests). BUT we all had a great day and I shall look forwards to next year.

I tend to agree that there should be no coaching during competitions, rules are rules. You might have been lucky enough to be squadded with lovely people like Donna and like minded shooters but a squad of "lady high guns" or perhaps a potential "high gun"and their like, however unpleasant it may be, have the right to expect adherence to the rules if it helps their concentration.
Personally I don't mind a little bit of coaching between a lad and his dad but if it's a couple of lads in a competition helping each other to a better score, (as does happen) it's out of order and the ref should put a stop to it, where to draw the line eh?

Westley,
The lady in question is no longer about so don't lose any more sleep over the matter.
Plus Cheshire Policeman need all the help they can get, especially Mr.Briscoe hahaha.
Hopefully see you all in a few weeks ?

Westley,
The lady in question is no longer about so don't lose any more sleep over the matter.
Plus Cheshire Policeman need all the help they can get, especially Mr.Briscoe hahaha.
Hopefully see you all in a few weeks ?
I am looking forward to it. I shall no doubt upset a few when I turn up with a group on a 'hen party' 😂

It never ceases to amaze me that some individuals can be so selfish, petty and small-minded to object to a complete novice being assisted on the stand of their first competition. As if the novice will suddenly transform into a seasoned shot and win the competition! Unfortunately, you find these people in all sports - they are something that the rest of us simply have to endure!

Latest posts

Back