Think your Sunday is going badly? Look at my barrel..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:

Just had a call from Ivan at Teague. Initially putting it down to either damage to the choke (of which I don’t believe there has been any, i.e dropping it or something along those lines) or a small amount of movement of the choke. (Again I don’t think so as you can see from the pictures it’s fully seated). 

Said I’ll send the gun up for review and get a report but expecting a bit of a fob off if I’m being honest.

Not ideal. Renders hundreds of pounds worth of chokes useless 🙈

Both of the above imply that the fault (in their initial opinion) will be with you - either in damaging the choke or not seating and/or tightening it properly. The lawyer in me is telling you to keep an eye on the bits (particularly that full choke) to ensure they don't mess about with them and return them to you. That bit Colin has identified above needs some closer photos etc - when I zoom in on the image it does look like the full choke is sitting slightly proud of the top barrel choke and that something maybe trapped between it and the barrel end. That would result in a gap back in the barrel - at the back of the choke. It doesn't need to be much and if it was keeping the choke tight you may have fired a good few rounds through before the damage occurred - I assume you shoot bottom barrel first ?.

The attached gives an example of the type of budging associated with a choke not being properly seated - https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/gun-maintenance/how-to-remove-shotgun-choke-tubes-for-cleaning-27233. It matches your damage.

The guys are quite right in pointing out that the barrel would need to pass a proof test. Just check you have the certificate and the barrels have been re-stamped etc - I'm sure Teague will have done this but check. I am no engineer but I cannot help but assume that after market chokes make the weaker than Miroku intended and thus that they are not the best solution.

A gunsmith may be able to cut the damaged section of barrel away but that is only worthwhile if there is less than 4 inches lost - 32 to 28 inches etc. Also a few carry spare barrel sets though Mirokus are rarely ordered with extra barrels (unlike a few Blazers and P's). The remaining chokes should also have some value.

Sorry its not been a good day.

Both of the above imply that the fault (in their initial opinion) will be with you - either in damaging the choke or not seating and/or tightening it properly. The lawyer in me is telling you to keep an eye on the bits (particularly that full choke) to ensure they don't mess about with them and return them to you. That bit Colin has identified above needs some closer photos etc - when I zoom in on the image it does look like the full choke is sitting slightly proud of the top barrel choke and that something maybe trapped between it and the barrel end. That would result in a gap back in the barrel - at the back of the choke. It doesn't need to be much and if it was keeping the choke tight you may have fired a good few rounds through before the damage occurred - I assume you shoot bottom barrel first ?.

The attached gives an example of the type of budging associated with a choke not being properly seated - https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/gun-maintenance/how-to-remove-shotgun-choke-tubes-for-cleaning-27233. It matches your damage.

The guys are quite right in pointing out that the barrel would need to pass a proof test. Just check you have the certificate and the barrels have been re-stamped etc - I'm sure Teague will have done this but check. I am no engineer but I cannot help but assume that after market chokes make the weaker than Miroku intended and thus that they are not the best solution.

A gunsmith may be able to cut the damaged section of barrel away but that is only worthwhile if there is less than 4 inches lost - 32 to 28 inches etc. Also a few carry spare barrel sets though Mirokus are rarely ordered with extra barrels (unlike a few Blazers and P's). The remaining chokes should also have some value.

Sorry its not been a good day.
Thank you for this post - you’ve raised some really good points and things for me to think about and discuss.

I actually shoot top barrel first, contrary to the norm.

This video shows they’re sitting flush with eachother I think:

View attachment IMG_1264.MOV

Looking at the picture showing down the barrel you can clearly see deformation of the choke which looks to line up with the area that I circled, bits of metal with the forces involved could easely end up where I circled in the picture, that's why I was interested if it was lead or metal.

Teague like any manufacturer, are never going to say it was their fault in the first instance without inspecting it.

Looking at the picture showing down the barrel you can clearly see deformation of the choke which looks to line up with the area that I circled, bits of metal with the forces involved could easely end up where I circled in the picture, that's why I was interested if it was lead or metal.

Teague like any manufacturer, are never going to say it was their fault in the first instance without inspecting it.
Which is the right thing to do.  

I've know of Teague conversions for 30+ years and not heard of any failures. But siht happens very occasionally to even the very best. It's probably even more of a surprise and upsetting to them than anyone.  

Did you tighten the choke using the key provided or just finger tight?

Sorry to read about this. Hope you get this sorted, and that Teague acts in accordance with their standing and responsibilities. I think we have read enough to be convinced that your guns are treated with (more than) due care and affection 😄 

who's to blame ,  ?    well i hope teague  do the decent thing  ,   it would be a nice gesture and great pr for them !   
Hope so mate.

Sorry to read about this. Hope you get this sorted, and that Teague acts in accordance with their standing and responsibilities. I think we have read enough to be convinced that your guns are treated with (more than) due care and affection 😄 
Thanks pal. Yes I’m more than meticulous shall we say 😄

Update:

There she goes, off to Teague where she’ll hopefully be fixed 🤞 - even if that does entail a multi limb transplant 🙈 (either that or returned with a ‘not us guv’ and back to the drawing board) 

0C65654D-ACF2-46F4-B9DF-5957183FCF7A.jpeg

4467AAC7-4455-4BDF-BA49-7AEB1569B3D7.jpeg

I know that your chokes have been Teague fitted, but I had an issue with a Teague choke to fit a Beretta Mobil thread. The gun was a Beretta 391 semi auto and I had a Teague after market 12 bore 3/8 extended choke in the gun. I had tightened the choke using a Teague tapered choke key. After every 5 or 6 shots, I had to repeatedly check the choke for looseness. I ALWAYS managed to get at least a full turn and often more on the choke. I changed the choke for the same variety but in a 1/2 restriction. Exactly the same thing happened. I changed the choke for a Briley extended choke and problem solved. I no longer possess any Teague chokes, but have quite a few Briley's  !

I know that your chokes have been Teague fitted, but I had an issue with a Teague choke to fit a Beretta Mobil thread. The gun was a Beretta 391 semi auto and I had a Teague after market 12 bore 3/8 extended choke in the gun. I had tightened the choke using a Teague tapered choke key. After every 5 or 6 shots, I had to repeatedly check the choke for looseness. I ALWAYS managed to get at least a full turn and often more on the choke. I changed the choke for the same variety but in a 1/2 restriction. Exactly the same thing happened. I changed the choke for a Briley extended choke and problem solved. I no longer possess any Teague chokes, but have quite a few Briley's  !
Funny you should mention Briley, I had a Renato Gamba which had Briley thin wall chokes, I'm sure they were titanium and they used to come loose. It was the only multi choked gun that you had to constantly check that I've owned. But I had a Kemen with Briley and they were no bother at all. 

I had a similar issue with a Browning DS Teague choke, spoke with Teague and they sent me a replacement one, problem solved. So far very impressed with Teague chokes

i am genuinely curious as to why people don't use the original chokes ?   i can only assume its a weight issue ?    to my mind  a measurement of choke shouldn't  change from one manufacturer to another ?      

i am genuinely curious as to why people don't use the original chokes ?   i can only assume its a weight issue ?    to my mind  a measurement of choke shouldn't  change from one manufacturer to another ?      
Is it possibly that like the MK38 in question, they were fixed chokes to start off with? Or it could be like mine... B525's come with a standard 4 sizes, but the vogue appears to be having a 3/8 in there, something that isn't given when you buy this model, so either a Browning or aftermarket extra is the only possibility?

Mine was fixed choke bud (unless your question isn’t directed towards me). There is some belief that after markets chokes perform better than factory standard however. And then there is weight, and custom sizes etc. 

I don’t know mate unable to remove the choke. I can definitely see your point. Hoping Teague have a solution 🤷🏻‍♂️
Having seen the damage caused by chokes that have even a tiny imperfection caused by handling before 90% certain that will be the problem.

I was lucky to get away with it on a Beretta.

The thing is when your gun is modified although it is structurally strong enough to withstand being shot and pass proof there is far less room for error than the sporter barrels which have a lot more metal in the choke area.

Hence i opted to just have my MK38 taken out to 3/8-3/8 rather than having it "choked"

My experience with Teague has been good over the years and i find it unlikely they would shirk their liabilities if their fault.

Personally i would have given them the chance to sort the problem before publicizing it and backing them into a corner.

Curious to know how many cartridges you may have put through it since the conversion?

On the plus side you can just saw the end off and have a dedicated set of skeet barrels😉

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back