Think your Sunday is going badly? Look at my barrel..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
antse7en,

Just a thought ,

You say you are fastidious about cleaning and after care of your gun ?

Could you have possibly shot the gun whilst there was an oil residue in the barrel ?

This has been known to have caused detonation and wave pressures which can result in ring bulges in the barrel !

I have guns that were originally fixed choke which I have had Teagued and I am confident that the barrel wall thickness has been left with adequate thickness to accommodate the fitment of multichoke.

I have to say that you have been very unfortunate to have suffered such a catastrophic failure .

Please remember that your undamaged chokes can very easily be retrofitted to another set of barrels or even another gun.

Very minor update, expect more tomorrow:

Message from Ivan today, they have arranged an outside contractor to inspect the barrels tomorrow (Thursday). 

Very minor update, expect more tomorrow:

Message from Ivan today, they have arranged an outside contractor to inspect the barrels tomorrow (Thursday). 
i was hoping Teague would offer to replace  free of charge  as a gesture of goodwill  ,     contractor to inspect  sounds ominous  !!!  hoping you get a result .       

Might be checking the metal quality & points of failure. I'm guessing it has passed tolerance on their work and they are looking to see if the original barrels ticked the box quality waste and the sheer and other damage visible via a high power or electron microscope shows where the forces were coming from. I would also suggest they are currently expecting to reject any claim and want independent evidence to show they have been impartial.

Perhaps they are getting either the proof house or Nigel Teague himself to look at it. 🤔

Last edited by a moderator:
These guys are supposed to be experts it is what they do. What I do think is may be a bit iffy is that the deformation has happened at the choke and not half way down the barrel.  That indicates to me that the work done on that gun has contributed to that fault... stand by to be told by an expert that it is nothing to do with the work carried out and coincidental that the structure of the steel way bad just at that point. If the fault had occurred half way down the barrel then I would say there was no connection. I think they will say the choke was either not properly screwed in or as said the metal was bad... strangely enough right next to their work;

It is interesting that Perazzi hydraulically test barrels from every batch of barrels produced and if the barrel ruptures anywhere other than in the specified area, half way down the barrel, then that batch of barrels is rejected. 

edit 

Of course being an expert at anything very often comes down to opinion  and companies will usually have their own expert... I am assuming that should they say it was not our doing you can call in your  own expert for a second opinion. Of course it may not come to that but if it does you are farting into a strong wind even if your expert says different purely down to costs.

As a more positive projection, Teague may be insured for this kind of situation. If they would want to compensate Antse7en and recover same from their insurer, it is likely that the insurer would require an outside opinion of whether the claim is valid. Insurers don't let the insured judge the validity of the claims they submit themselves, for obvious reasons. 

Also, an outside opinion would help to identify any potential flaws in their work which would help them in preventing future occurence. From a manufacturing insurance / product liability perspective, it is likely mandatory to duly investigate any complaints and have any findings corroborated by an outside party.  

Curious to read what'll happen, and before that I'm not faulting Teague for calling in an expert. 

As a more positive projection, Teague may be insured for this kind of situation. If they would want to compensate Antse7en and recover same from their insurer, it is likely that the insurer would require an outside opinion of whether the claim is valid. Insurers don't let the insured judge the validity of the claims they submit themselves, for obvious reasons. 

Also, an outside opinion would help to identify any potential flaws in their work which would help them in preventing future occurence. From a manufacturing insurance / product liability perspective, it is likely mandatory to duly investigate any complaints and have any findings corroborated by an outside party.  

Curious to read what'll happen, and before that I'm not faulting Teague for calling in an expert. 
That is possible but that would srely be down to the insurer to have that work done not the insured? Teague are not going to want to be out of pocket for a forensic examination to have a claim paid. Working that way is a financial stand off and one way of reducing any claims

So you have been happily shooting this barrel conversion for a year, with no known issues. Then all of a sudden choke/barrel damage occurs. To me this can only be one of two issues here. Either there was damage to the choke before it was fitted, or a material issue with the choke, as you say it was in tight. It will be difficult to prove which ever it was. The pictures suggest to me that there was more than just a gap big enough for gas pressure to get between the choke and the barrel, that looks like pellets have got between them. Teague are not going to admit to manufacturing issues after a year of use, especially as the gun would have gone through proofing. That's probably why they have gone for another opinion on it.

Mmm, difficult one to call. Good luck though.

thankfully nobody hurt, worst case you need a new gun, possibly covered on house insurance (accidental damage i dont know), you get the chance to buy a new gun and carry on a bit out of pocket potentially (looking for the positives)

That is possible but that would srely be down to the insurer to have that work done not the insured? 
Not necessarily. The insurer could just point out whose opinion they want as a condition, and leave it up to the insured to make that happen (and pay for it). Whether the cost is then covered by the insurer is a matter of the particular policy and could depend on the findings. There could also be counterclaim-related reasons for the insured to be the party requesting the outside report, but I won't bore you :)  

Perhaps they are getting either the proof house or Nigel Teague himself to look at it. 🤔
As you probably know , Nigel Teague sold the business a few years back to Westley Richards . Westley Richards are also precision engineers and toolmakers .  
Given the fact that they have been presented with a failure , I would imagine that their concerns go beyond Ant’s gun , and they need external analysis , not to blame Ant , but to ascertain if the fault is a one off or batch and is it material or process . Those are the steps I’d take before I’d blame the driver .

Speaking as a loss adjuster, who deals with this type of claim, its all too quick for the insurers to be involved and be making decisions and there are number of reasons why this would not be covered by any conventional policy anyway; mainly products cover does not include product rectification and any excess will quickly cover the barrel's second hand value. Martyn's comments are right to a large degree - they will want to ensure it is not an issue with their work in anyway before they pass it back to Ant. They will also want to ensure it is not an issue with not just that particular gun but the use of their design of thin wall chokes in general - the gun presumably was fine with fixed chokes so they must show or imply it was some fault with Ant's use of the chokes.

Thinking about this a little further - I would be interested in knowing whether the proof test after conversion is undertaken with the chokes in place. I am not an engineer but I assume if the chokes are in place it would increase the strength of the barrel but the result would not confirm the barrels minus the chokes (or with them loose at all) would pass.

Thinking about this a little further - I would be interested in knowing whether the proof test after conversion is undertaken with the chokes in place. I am not an engineer but I assume if the chokes are in place it would increase the strength of the barrel but the result would not confirm the barrels minus the chokes (or with them loose at all) would pass.
Good question. But I would imagine with the chokes fitted, as you wouldn't do a pressure test on anything with component parts missing, would you?

Never having had a multi choke conversion done on a gun, what kind of Guarantee or warranty is given for the work carried out, and for how long?

For me the problem with the conversion of a fixed choke gun to a multi choke is an alteration which without any question reduces the ability of the barrel to resist the pressures created within the barrel of the gun should there be some sort of malfunction, the chokes be not properly fitted or the fit between the choke and the barrel not be exact. You cannot compare a factory fitted multi choke barrel to a fixed choke alteration because the gun manufacturer designed the gun barrels to be multi choked. I know people who have shot their factory fitted gun without the chokes fitted and had no problem. I know someone I mentioned in an earlier post who has a lax approach to his chokes and has had no issues I believe this is due to the fact that those barrels are well engineered to withstand the pressure associated with a badly fitted choke should this situation arise... with an aftermarket fit there is not enough metal left at the interface to provide this assurance in my opinion. Caveat I am not an engineer just applying common logic which may or may not apply🤣

Back