Sporting shoots 2023. How was it?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, a lovely weekend away.  Booked into Coleys yesterday and had a great squad, only 5 of us and a great bit of laughter and chatting on way round. Up till stand 6 only 5 away 😳 Struggled on a few stands by clubhouse/car park.  Struggled to see the blaze l-r stand 10 and being first up couldn’t get comfy.  Only bug bear stand again was last stand, sim pair l-r, being short the second one sometimes dropped behind thicket and couldn’t get to it but finished on 73 and had shot some stands really nicely.  Saw the lovely Fred so all ended happy! 

Stayed overnight and had a wonderful meal last night which actually restored my faith in eating out and having something different.  Onto Westfields this morning where I duly gave Steve the sloe gin made from the sloes I picked there last year so I hope he enjoys!  Another great shoot, a few straights, a few one away but too many lost at start of shoot.  We had a late breakfast at hotel (not our fault though) and felt very heavy and sluggish.  It wasn’t too busy when we shot so got to most stands empty or watching one guy finish.  Finished on a 74 but again, a few missed that shouldn’t have been missed. 
On writing up my notes I realised the fast stuff, battues etc I demolished but dropped the slower stuff so need to kick myself up the backside before next shoot to attack a bit more.  Bumped into a few friends not seen for a while and had a chat and we had a good journey home for once!  

Average creeping up steadily which is pleasing and it was pleasing to see Phil shoot really well today too but he also missed some silly ones though his glasses steaming up being hot!

It hasn’t taken me too long to get used to this early retirement larky!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Redricks for me too. Really enjoyable round I thought. Great refs, no trap breakdowns and not a single no bird, which was the polar opposite from my previous week at Northampton. Got round in 1h 45m, which has got to be a record. Glad it's still squadded, as it stops the inevitable queuing that happens at other grounds due to people jumping between stands. Going to have to start shooting here more often. 

No bunnies to provide the random miss we all suffer from occasionally or any card killers. Everything hittable. Nice use of some midis which caught a couple of our squad out (possibly because they never read the menu board!). Finished on 84, which is a few above my recent averages. Those I missed was mainly picking wrong hold points or getting lazy on the last pair.

You're not the only one, I could hit that green one either. Totally misread it. 

The R-L on 7 I only managed to hit once also. One chap on our squad kept hitting it, then missing the report crosser!!

We had a numpty ref as well, which didn't help. Launching clays that you hadn't called for, massive delays in between calling/launching & report pairs, or not launching at all. Stand 12 - called pull, no target. Ref "Sorry, I thought that was the next stand calling pull".  "Yes mate, you heard pull from and empty stand, 30m away while wearing ear defenders" 😒

Still, I finished on an 81 which I'm happy with. Might even slowly creep up into A class at this rate...............(insert kiss of death here)
Daz. Rather than call the ref or scorer a numpty why didn’t you or members of your squad help the bloke and show how to react to a call of “pull”.

Its easy to criticise but much harder to help

Redricks today I hit 89 but a little disappointed with my score as it wasn't a hard round. Everything was visible no eyesight tests which is nice. My mate hit 97 for high gun. Shame he went birds only🤣🤣🤣
I won't hear the last of it tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daz. Rather than call the ref or scorer a numpty why didn’t you or members of your squad help the bloke and show how to react to a call of “pull”.

Its easy to criticise but much harder to help
We did. Unfortunately you can only help those who are interested in what they're doing. 

We did. Unfortunately you can only help those who are interested in what they're doing. 
The girl who reffed us that day was fine scoring but incredibly slow on the button.  While it doesn't bother me some of the others on the squad kept refusing to shoot so it must have cost Northampton a lot of clays. In the end one of us buttoned and she scored. 

Redricks today I hit 89 but a little disappointed with my score as it wasn't a hard round. Everything was visible no eyesight tests which is nice. My mate hit 97 for high gun. Shame he went birds only🤣🤣🤣
If it wasnt a hard round then why didnt you hit 100 straight ??.......😁

Honesberie have released their shoot dates.

In 2023, Honesberie Shooting are running a series of CPSA Registered shoots which will consist of 100 sporting clay targets.

At these competitions there will also be a pool shoot which is open to everybody.

Please refer to the column on the right for all our 100 bird sporting dates for 2023. All are CPSA registered competitions.

Unless otherwise stated, all 100 sporting will be as follows:

• Entries 9:30am – 3pm.
  • Cash prizes (£200 High Gun. £75 Pool Shoot) for top scores in registered classes: AA, A, B, C

For further information and rules please call 01327 262922 

• Dates For 2023:

Sunday 16th April
  • Sunday 30th April
  • Sunday 14th May
  • Sunday 28th May
  • Sunday 11th June
  • Sunday 25th June
  • Sunday 9th July
  • Sunday 23rd July
  • Sunday 6th August
  • Sunday 20th August – 100 CPSA Registered English Sporting
  • Sunday 3rd September
  • Sunday 17th September
  • Sunday 1st October
  • Sunday 15th October
  • Sunday 29th October

Honesberie have released their shoot dates.

In 2023, Honesberie Shooting are running a series of CPSA Registered shoots which will consist of 100 sporting clay targets.

At these competitions there will also be a pool shoot which is open to everybody.

Please refer to the column on the right for all our 100 bird sporting dates for 2023. All are CPSA registered competitions.

Unless otherwise stated, all 100 sporting will be as follows:

• Entries 9:30am – 3pm.
  • Cash prizes (£200 High Gun. £75 Pool Shoot) for top scores in registered classes: AA, A, B, C

For further information and rules please call 01327 262922 

• Dates For 2023:

Sunday 16th April
  • Sunday 30th April
  • Sunday 14th May
  • Sunday 28th May
  • Sunday 11th June
  • Sunday 25th June
  • Sunday 9th July
  • Sunday 23rd July
  • Sunday 6th August
  • Sunday 20th August – 100 CPSA Registered English Sporting
  • Sunday 3rd September
  • Sunday 17th September
  • Sunday 1st October
  • Sunday 15th October
  • Sunday 29th October
So does one need to book on a squad, or just show up? I think last year it was advertised as above, but you needed to book on. 

Makes me laugh, the bit about " for further info and rules".

It's a cpsa shoot. Therefore it's cpsa rules . Not any you care to make up. 

Simples.

Also interested  to know if its book on or turn up. 

Jasper.

I shot at EJ Churchill today, a buddy and I took the day off work and we went out for a bit of fun. 'Twas an enjoyable session, we were in a squad of five and we all got on famously, the big advantage of a squadded shoot is that there is hardly any queuing which made a pleasant change to a shoot I did on Sunday (somewhere in Wiltshire) where it took nearly four hours to get round.

All the stands were hittable which was especially nice for my mate who was quite rusty, I think he was pleased with himself. Looking at a photo of my scorecard I struggled most on stand 8 with only 2 hits out of six (can't remember what it was) other stands I just dropped 1 here 3 there for an average 82 but I felt  a little better seeing that the average score was 74 

I shot at EJ Churchill today, a buddy and I took the day off work and we went out for a bit of fun. 'Twas an enjoyable session, we were in a squad of five and we all got on famously, the big advantage of a squadded shoot is that there is hardly any queuing which made a pleasant change to a shoot I did on Sunday (somewhere in Wiltshire) where it took nearly four hours to get round.

All the stands were hittable which was especially nice for my mate who was quite rusty, I think he was pleased with himself. Looking at a photo of my scorecard I struggled most on stand 8 with only 2 hits out of six (can't remember what it was) other stands I just dropped 1 here 3 there for an average 82 but I felt  a little better seeing that the average score was 74 
A great course I thought and not easy. Stand 8 was a brutal overhead away sim pair which only had one straight all day. 

I shot typically for my present form, doing well enough but utterly chucking it away on a couple of stands that aren’t the ones you would think. It’s getting annoying.. 

Now you mention it, it was a tricky one, I'm usually OK on overheads but we don't often see pairs, let alone high ones at a subtle angle. I was getting the hang of it but there was no time to capitalise being a three pair stand.

Now you mention it, it was a tricky one, I'm usually OK on overheads but we don't often see pairs, let alone high ones at a subtle angle. I was getting the hang of it but there was no time to capitalise being a three pair stand.
I was the other way. Hit the first pair, then faltered, thinking “how do I do that again”? I don’t mind missing those missiles. I’m just so cross to have missed three simple teals on previous stand and three on a the sim pair on stand 11. (Had a pair afterwards, shot them less deliberately and smoked them. Twonk). 

Barbury today, have (reg wise) hibernated since September, shot much much less "practice" also during that time and also had a bit of stock work on the MK38 so not really expecting much from toady. With the usual chums, well few more as we had a squad of 7 , still got round in barely 2 hours though, even with a break for trap filling. For I, shot it well enough, couple targets had a mare with, St5 edge on orange looper, well it was supposed to cross but mine never did, St9 a rapid low l-r crosser and St11 a below me r-l crosser that had a job to pick up let alone hit, those part it was a happy day. Was only a few horrors so not complete meltdown, did not straight a stand, 1 away on five of them so was a bit consistent on 21 of the 24 presentations! Think Andy Moon 97 was HGun, looked a biggish entry for a winter mid week shoot, won't be leaving it 5 months till next outing 

Barbury also, a chilly start but rain held off. A good course with some fiddly stuff for sure. Nothing very distant or ridiculously hard. A few silly misses as per usual but happy enough with 92.

Scores look fairly high but no less than 44 AA/ AAA shooters showed up.

Back