Sporting shoots 2023. How was it?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve not been very present in the shooting world for a while mainly because we’ve been due an Independent Schools Inspectorate compliance inspection since joining ISA last April.   They are far more particular than Ofsted and for this type of inspection it is simply pass or fail and my areas are arguably the most important parts which includes safeguarding so I’ve felt a very heavy pressure for months.  It’s done now and whilst they were very nice people I felt like I was being interrogated by the gestapo for two solid days.   Finally though I can go back to attending week day shoots more which I’m looking forward to. 

So, Ian Coleys today. Went to stand 1 at 12.30 and the heavens opened, blowing the rain in at an angle in an open field for a good 15 minutes. A very cold and wet start to the day. All in all a great course I thought, although I thought stand 11 was a bit unnecessary with two very tough long targets and most people were really suffering badly on it, myself included. Stand 10 I felt a bit robbed as it wasn't tough but the ref really slow buttoned the second bird on my first pair which then came when I thought it wouldn’t. Next pair he was super quick on the button, so that cost me two simple targets. Anyway, finished on 82, should have been a bit more but it was tough on last few stands as it was very cold too. I think HG was 93 with some big names way below that, so not an easy affair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to seeing you in the weeks ahead Sian 😘😘 I’ve not done much the last 6-8 weeks and am choosing where I’m going until spring. Cannot see the point in shooting in the snow/rain etc BUT we had booked into Coleys like Will and so we set off nice and early this morning, had a good drive down although it rained all the way, no lights in the loos (due to the building work) so that was fun fumbling around for the loo roll in the pitch black then hoping you actually got it in the loo 😂😂😂

Shoot was enjoyable but made tougher by the rain definitely.  Had a good start then got to Stand 4 which was a close fast low looper with a driven o/r.  A couple in the squad following us kept running to catch us up to watch the targets and one was continually giving the other one a running commentary including hold points/kill points etc and it just completely buggered me up, all I could hear was them and see their arms in my vision.  Ended up with a 2/8 and gave myself a stern talking to then picked myself up and shot quite well after that. From stand 9 on it was chucking it down straight into your face and I felt so sorry for the lady reffing on 12, it was just a constant onslaught.  Finished on 74 with 2 other ladies on 75 just pipping me but shot slightly above my average so got to be fairly happy considering the conditions. Stand 11 was a bit stiff but I hit a few and I saw the lovely Fred.  Shot with Mr Pinnegar which was nice.  

Okay, went to Meadowcroft yesterday. Pretty decent shoot I thought with enough testing targets to separate the the best from the likes of me. 12 stands, maybe 4 harder ones which is about right IMO. Only really had one meltdown stand, probably due to talking too much and not plugging my brain in before stepping up to shoot. There were some superstars there, Chris C, RF, Andy M and the Glos big guns but Martin M did it again with a stunning 98. amazing stuff!

Thoroughly enjoyed myself, best day shooting since before the pandemic. Score was middling but shot some good stands and it all felt much better than the last few times out.

Scores aren't up yet, no idea why.

I went to Cottesloe Heath Bisley on Sunday for their monthly sporting club shoot (non reg.) there was nothing else on within reasonable distance and I was feeling the need to get out. 

It's a squadded 100 birder, open to non-members, you need to prebook/pay in advance. Book at least a week early to avoid disappointment. They seem to have made a decision to take away most of the longer targets making it a medium to soft shoot - ideal for anyone who wants to practice on some close to medium targets with no pressure, in nice surroundings.

Included in the fee are "free" coffee and a bacon roll, there's also a pool shoot

fibre wads only

The next one's 19th Feb

AGL for the Sportrap on Saturday. Really horrendous conditions to shoot in, with some target setting that didn't take the wind into account at all.  A teal on one of the layouts was starting 50 yards out and blowing rapidly away from you.  HG was 89 and there were AAA shooters in the 70s, which is indicative of the conditions / layouts.  As for my performance, least said soonest mended.

I've not shot Sportrap much, it was only my second Reg ever.  If it starts raining in the middle of a layout is it normal etiquette to stop completely on your turn, take your glasses off, clean them, put them back on and then get ready to shoot again, on every occasion that it's your turn to shoot? I was just wiping mine off while the person before me was shooting and then keeping my head down to keep them clear until it was my turn.

Sunday back to my local, Willow Farm, for the 100 bird open comp. Another wind affected shoot, but at least it was dry.  Mucked up one stand, dropping the last two pairs, other than that I shot reasonably well, but too many 7's and 8s from 10 rather than 9's and 10's this week.  Finished on 81, which was enough for a win in ladies.

Had a go at the Purdey Royal Berkshire Handicap Challenge today. They rang me to say traps were in trouble in sub zero temperatures, but we went anyway as sun was out and it did get to a heady 1 degree at lunchtime, when we shot. Traps had been fixed and it went well. Didn’t even feel cold really as not windy.

Ed Solomons set the course and it feels more like a shooters course this year I felt. It had been a bit mean in places some past years. Today was zero wind, which made clays fly very nicely, so a good day to do it. It was a classic example of me missing some more obvious targets while concentrating better on the harder ones, so I feel I missed about 5 I shouldn’t. But probably couldn’t improve on the harder ones, so maybe not worth another go, especially as it is £60. Finished on 89 and my average is at a low point these days so got a handicap of 6 to make 95. To summarise, I enjoyed it and recommend it. Something different, with 20 bird sequence plus 20 bird grouse sequence too.

Since becoming Purdey, the website has lost the scoreboard, which they are working on. Sounds like it will be a while..

Did a 94 at Hornet a few days ago but felt it was a very steady shoot. Surprised to finish in top 3 actually. 

I shot Westfield today. Clearly it’s one of the most topologically interesting shoots you’re ever likely to find, so the variety is always great. The theme was that measuring lead was important, with plenty of mid range targets and a few a bit further than that! I showed a psychological problem again today, missing 4 on last pairs for no bloody reason! Oh well, 88 not so bad but could have been more. Enjoyed the shoot and will likely be back in two weeks time as it’s really worth the drive. 

It was good to see you, Will, albeit briefly! 

I had a fairly tidy card (6 away I think) until stand 11. Stand 11 looks out over a rolling field where the line of the clay is always so important. I've been caught out there a few times so went in first on the squad, with no-one to watch. I ended up completely over gunning both targets and walking out with 2/8. I was on the verge of holding a cremation ceremony for the card at that point 😂

It was good to see you, Will, albeit briefly! 

I had a fairly tidy card (6 away I think) until stand 11. Stand 11 looks out over a rolling field where the line of the clay is always so important. I've been caught out there a few times so went in first on the squad, with no-one to watch. I ended up completely over gunning both targets and walking out with 2/8. I was on the verge of holding a cremation ceremony for the card at that point 😂
Yeah I also struggled there, but scraped 5/8. My pathetic excuse is that a very good AAA shooter shot it in front of me with ease. Not only is he left handed, but he was approaching that high second target from below. I would have done better not to have watched him and wobbled badly at first. 

We shot Barbury last Weds, had left in plenty of time to get there an hour before starting and had such an horrendous journey we got there with 5 mins to spare.  It was freezing cold, misty and we just felt we were rushing.  Shot quite well in the deer park area but struggled on the driven, even hit a few of the very close bunnies but had a big fat zero on the platform.  It was blowing like anything up there and I was so cold, shot last stand well but only shot a 69 so wasn’t happy!  I don’t think I’ll be booking in that early again!  
Sunday took us to Southdown, would’ve loved to have gone to Westfield but after the long journey to Barbury we fancied something a bit closer to home, couldn’t face hours on the M25 again. Wasn’t too cold, had a nice squad but for most, the targets had no pace, even the battues, shot in front of most of what I missed.  Some targets very hard to see though, stand 4, first up and ref showed me the targets, a l-r rabbit going up to a mound and a fast blaze r-l. He showed me the targets and I didn’t see the blaze at all.  (None of the squad saw it). I asked to see it again and was told no, I’d seen it once. I then asked if it was high or low and was told “it varied” 😂😂😂.   Anyway, hit a few of them but there was a few stands where a target was a bit of an eyesight test and some blazes which definitely would’ve been better as black.  Quite a few midis too.

I love Westfield and Coleys, best targets around imo and you can see them, nothing is an eyesight test or where you only have a second to hit it!  cannot wait until the warmer weather arrives and we will be taking a few weekends away going to other shoots we’ve not been to yet and as I’ve now taken early retirement dates don’t matter 🤗🤗

A rare visit to Northampton today, first time in 3 years. A very good set of targets I thought. I started very poorly on some closer stuff, so had to force myself to cheer up after stand 3 as I felt I had binned at least 3 unnecessarily.

There was a very distant R-L on stand 7 that the locals seemed fine with but I only hit once, so card was getting a bit messy now. I shot the rest well, apart from missing an absolute dolly up due to lifting my head. So daft. Finished on 89 and enjoyed the course in the winter sun. The ground could do with a bit of TLC I think. Some tidying up and using a strimmer in places (including inside the cages) would help. I had to cut a bramble down before shooting stand 10. 

A rare visit to Northampton today, first time in 3 years. A very good set of targets I thought. I started very poorly on some closer stuff, so had to force myself to cheer up after stand 3 as I felt I had binned at least 3 unnecessarily.

There was a very distant R-L on stand 7 that the locals seemed fine with but I only hit once, so card was getting a bit messy now. I shot the rest well, apart from missing an absolute dolly up due to lifting my head. So daft. Finished on 89 and enjoyed the course in the winter sun. The ground could do with a bit of TLC I think. Some tidying up and using a strimmer in places (including inside the cages) would help. I had to cut a bramble down before shooting stand 10. 
Stand 7 would have been easier if someone could have moved the electric pylon 😂

It was stand 6 that did me today, never hit the green one and missed the overhead in frustration so dropped 5. So fairly happy to finish on 87 after that.

It was stand 6 that did me today, never hit the green one and missed the overhead in frustration so dropped 5. So fairly happy to finish on 87 after that.
Well done. Yeah I missed the first green by trying to take care with it. Reverted to just quickly attacking the front edge to get the last three done. My stupid stand was the crosser and rabbit, dropped 3. Missed last pair for no good reason. 

You're not the only one, I could hit that green one either. Totally misread it. 

The R-L on 7 I only managed to hit once also. One chap on our squad kept hitting it, then missing the report crosser!!

We had a numpty ref as well, which didn't help. Launching clays that you hadn't called for, massive delays in between calling/launching & report pairs, or not launching at all. Stand 12 - called pull, no target. Ref "Sorry, I thought that was the next stand calling pull".  "Yes mate, you heard pull from and empty stand, 30m away while wearing ear defenders" 😒

Still, I finished on an 81 which I'm happy with. Might even slowly creep up into A class at this rate...............(insert kiss of death here)

You're not the only one, I could hit that green one either. Totally misread it. 

The R-L on 7 I only managed to hit once also. One chap on our squad kept hitting it, then missing the report crosser!!

We had a numpty ref as well, which didn't help. Launching clays that you hadn't called for, massive delays in between calling/launching & report pairs, or not launching at all. Stand 12 - called pull, no target. Ref "Sorry, I thought that was the next stand calling pull".  "Yes mate, you heard pull from and empty stand, 30m away while wearing ear defenders" 😒

Still, I finished on an 81 which I'm happy with. Might even slowly creep up into A class at this rate...............(insert kiss of death here)
Was the person a qualified cpsa esp ref or just a younger scorer ??

Back