Sporting shoots 2023. How was it?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cefn Tilla today for their monthly super sporting, yet another great course set by Bob Clark, plenty of variety for everyone,from extremely long crossing midi’s to close deceptive standards
High gun when I left was Sean ponting on 95
We are going next Saturday. Haven’t managed before now to get there.

Good to see you today. I missed four on the first stand! Then did well until I got to stand 8 where I got a glorious 2/8. Really couldn’t get on with that stand. Then shot the rest fairly well. I felt very confident on the big ones today, the best I’ve felt in a good while. Considering I didn’t want to go out today I was glad I did, fresh air did me good. Just wish whatever lurgy I’ve got with move on.
Well shot, you did well on what I found a very tough round. I missed the first rabbit and the third dropping teal on Stand 1. Considering I hate dropping targets could have been a lot worse. Stands 5 and 6 did me over completely. Stand 8 was the sim pair wasn't it? 5 for me - managed to hit the last dropping midi. Screwed up Stand 10 as well.

Well shot, you did well on what I found a very tough round. I missed the first rabbit and the third dropping teal on Stand 1. Considering I hate dropping targets could have been a lot worse. Stands 5 and 6 did me over completely. Stand 8 was the sim pair wasn't it? 5 for me - managed to hit the last dropping midi. Screwed up Stand 10 as well.
Well that first stand the man in front went to shoot the rabbit and it jumped straight up in the air about 4 foot. I like the dropping ones usually but quite hard to se in the background if you weren’t quick which I wasn’t. Same down the bottom, I take so long the black one paired with the orange in the sim pair Ben when I hit the black I was never sure I had. Stands 4, 5 and 6 I was very happy about.

Barrow for me today, early start, and I thought it was as good a round as I have shot this year, shoot average was a testing 70 and it did feel a bit stiffer, never hit the b bird battue on 5 but shot the rest steady although not enough straights overall, pleased to finish with a score starting with an 8, great round again.

Barrow for me today, early start, and I thought it was as good a round as I have shot this year, shoot average was a testing 70 and it did feel a bit stiffer, never hit the b bird battue on 5 but shot the rest steady although not enough straights overall, pleased to finish with a score starting with an 8, great round again.
I hit the last one, there was a perceptible delay between the bang and the break.

Blyton on Saturday which was their first registered shoot under the new ownership. Really testing round of different angles, tricky simmo pairs and stalling targets, nothing that far away but the average was 63 and I was seriously caught out along with many others. Very good shoot and the ground was tidy, well set out including shooting over the lake. Thoroughly enjoyed it and hope to be back for the next one.

So in a little over a week we have had just shy of a 20% difference in difficulty level over various sporting shoots. So once again how can the classification system be fit for purpose. ??????????

The inaugural Welsh super sporting at Cefn Tilla today, another great course set by Bob Clark, something for everyone, a couple of brain farts saw me end up on 81
Shoot was won by Nigel Hart on a 98 after a shoot off with Owen Jones
IMHO I think super sporting is a much better discipline than regular sporting, in that you have to think about the doubles and not a mindless repetition of 8/10 targets

The inaugural Welsh super sporting at Cefn Tilla today, another great course set by Bob Clark, something for everyone, a couple of brain farts saw me end up on 81
Shoot was won by Nigel Hart on a 98 after a shoot off with Owen Jones
IMHO I think super sporting is a much better discipline than regular sporting, in that you have to think about the doubles and not a mindless repetition of 8/10 targets
First time there for us. Lovely grounds and I enjoyed it with a nice squad. Couldn’t really ask for better weather! Lost the plot on stand 11 though shot a very dismal 3. Annoyed at myself on the last stand as very first bird I was thinking it was a different one and wasn’t quick enough to correct so scored 9. Other than that I felt I did okay and finished on a 74.

We were supposed to be shooting the super sporting at Coleys, on Weds in Bobs squad (lovely man) but had to cancel as I got rushed into hospital (twice). Phil and a friend doing the super sporting at Westfields today but I’m going to be watching if I have the strength to get out the car! No shooting for a few weeks for me I’m afraid. See you’re booked in Sian, may see you there 😘😘

Must admit, do like the supersporting too!!

We were supposed to be shooting the super sporting at Coleys, on Weds in Bobs squad (lovely man) but had to cancel as I got rushed into hospital (twice). Phil and a friend doing the super sporting at Westfields today but I’m going to be watching if I have the strength to get out the car! No shooting for a few weeks for me I’m afraid. See you’re booked in Sian, may see you there 😘😘

Hope all is well, wishing full and speedy recovery

Hangman’s today, in sunny but cool conditions. Good shoot, some simpler stands and some that definitely weren’t! Two particular bad spots for me but ended on 88.

Was busy as ever today, maybe more than usual. Didn’t get round very quickly. There is a single track road going in, which at about 12.15 had ten cars stopped in it. People couldn’t leave. Gridlock. Took some sorting

Hope all is well, wishing full and speedy recovery
Thank you Richard. Started feeling ill last Sunday with pains in my face/ear/neck etc. Paracetamol didn’t touch the sides so Monday am Phil went to pharmacy to get something stronger and they advised seeing a GP 🤣🤣. Luckily we have a very good GP who phoned me in 10 mins, was in the surgery in 20 mins and in hospital within an hour. After numerous blood tests etc they discovered I have Quinsy.
After about 10 hours on drips etc I was allowed home as I could swallow tablets but very early hours of next day Phil had to take me back down as throat was closing up and I was kept in for 3 days, IV lines of steroids, penicillin and antibiotic. They tried to aspirate the back of the throat 🤮🤮🤢🤢 but didn’t work.
Have a Lump on side of face, i did look like Popeye, can hardly open my mouth (much to Phil’s delight 🤣🤣) and feel as weak as a new born baby. For someone who is never ill it’s come as a bit of a shock! Anyway, no shooting for a few weeks but I’ll be cheering you on from the sides.

Good to see you today Donna. I didn’t fair very well with four driven 🤣. Still it was a beautiful day and the weather was perfect apart from the low sun on our last stand. Very enjoyable and a good squad.

First time out with the new CG invictus Ltd to a local shoot scored 80 after a wobbly first stand getting used to a new gun, used 1/4 and 3/8 chokes with 24g cartridges seems to pattern quite tightly compared to my browning, I'll need to get to a pattern plate before the next shoot all in all very pleased with the gun 👍

I had an enjoyable afternoon at Barbury Shooting School today, the threatened rain didn't materialise while I was there and a bright afternoon was enjoyed by all (although the last couple of stands were affected by the sun.)
I didn't do too badly by my own standards at Barbury, I dropped three each on a couple of stands, No. 8 was a quartering away followed by what looked like a fast-ish, long-ish, L to R midi. First crack at the midi was a miss so I gave it more, then more again, it was only when I gave it less than the original shot that I smashed it, at least I learned what I was doing wrong and, yet again, was missing in front.
Stand 12 was from a low platform, a longish rabbit followed by a simple going away battue, it was the going away that I missed first followed by a couple of rabbits, should have done better!
I lost a few more here and there but finished above my average which was quite pleasing.
Met Donna doing the rounds as observer to Phil, get well soon Donna

Last edited:
I to was also at Barbury, a good course with something for everyone, two stands were on the difficult side , stand 6 which was the simmo pair you didn’t know if you hit the pair with one shot or not, and stand 12 the long rabbit and a battue that was edge on going away from you.
Finished on an 85 which considering I had four stands with one away was a tad disappointing

I agree Wynno, you had to get lucky on stand 6, the guy shooting before me wasn't shooting at the curling battue at all because it looked like a shard and he thought he was hitting both clays with the first shot.
I made sure I shot at the position where the clays crossed and trusted to luck, I didn't fire many second shots and was one of the lucky ones missing only the first clay, if they had told me I missed all of the battues I wouldn't have argued.
Stand 12 - there was a young lad with us who said Richard F had dropped 2 of the only 3 clays he missed all day on this stand and made sure he shot the lot. I wasn't so lucky but at least I was in good company 🙂

Latest posts

Back