Mid level Competition cartridge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masser88

Hi all

I am looking for some advice/reviews for a mid level cartridge that performs well but isn't going to break the bank, especially with the ever rising cartridge price at the moment. I mainly shoot at my local club that hosts events every other weekend, a mixture of sporting, skeet and DTL but I have also just started shooting registered sporting competitions. I have mainly been using Hull Superfast 27g fibers as my club is a fiber only shoot, I like the way they kills however I find them quite punchy and towards the end of a 100 bird event and I can feel them taking their toll on me. I have thought about switching to the 24g version of the Superfasts, is there anything else out there you guys would recommend from your experience?

Thanks in advance.

I can get Sporting 100 for £301/1000 or Fiocchi TT1 at £270/1000 near me. I might give them a go an see how I get on.

I have ended up with some TT1 and the jury is still out - I need to do some (rubbish quality) testing.

I would go Fiocchi FBlu (my preferred) or Gamebore Evo (my daughters & slightly smoother and not prone to the remote possibility of Fiocchi primer issues).

Fblus are super. And the right money. Break anything anywhere as long as your good enough. And they seem to come put at only £10 per k more than a tt1.

The Hull Superfast 24grm are very good will give excellent kills and low recoil

I use RC2 plastic in 8 and RC4 in 7.5 but the 4’s are more expensive so use them sparingly! No recoil problems with them at all but when I use the RC fibres get a headache if using a lot of them. Haven’t used many fibres so wouldn’t know which ones to go for tbh!

If you can stand a Plas wad the fblu are brilliant value for money.

Attached is a recent pattern I did through my dt11 with a teague 1/4 choke at 40 yards. Pellet count shows a 65% pattern in a 30" circle that equates to a 3/4. Lovely even pattern as well.

Attachments

• 20240114_231230.jpg
    20240114_231230.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I use RC2 plastic in 8 and RC4 in 7.5 but the 4’s are more expensive so use them sparingly! No recoil problems with them at all but when I use the RC fibres get a headache if using a lot of them. Haven’t used many fibres so wouldn’t know which ones to go for tbh!
Evo fibres are great Donna. Got my PB with them!

You ask for mid level cartridges yet it appears to me that most suggestions here are lower end, never mind.
In my very limited experience over the last year I’ve found Eleys selects, comfortable to shoot but a little erratic in kill performance (very probably just me and my lack of ability).
F blu I really liked, worked well for me. Fblack a bit more expensive but no noticeable improvement on the Fblu. Gamebore Evo’s a really nice cartridge. Super fast 27s, suits me just fine and I use all the time.
Tried a slab of the fabled White golds and found them quite thumpy and no better than anything else in my hands.

You ask for mid level cartridges yet it appears to me that most suggestions here are lower end, never mind.
In my very limited experience over the last year I’ve found Eleys selects, comfortable to shoot but a little erratic in kill performance (very probably just me and my lack of ability).
F blu I really liked, worked well for me. Fblack a bit more expensive but no noticeable improvement on the Fblu. Gamebore Evo’s a really nice cartridge. Super fast 27s, suits me just fine and I use all the time.
Tried a slab of the fabled White golds and found them quite thumpy and no better than anything else in my hands.
Fblu is a very good mid level cartridge , cheaper than most of the so called low end stuff folk talk about. Hence why it pops up frequently in these sort of topics. Just check the specs on fiocchi Web.

Reactions: SBL
OK with your “very limited experience “ please tell me what a low end cartridge is when compared to a mid range cartridge, in my 40 plus years of shooting I’ve yet to find a cartridge that makes any noticeable difference to my scores, I’m sure that if you give the top shooters so called low end cartridges they would still beat most of the rest of us. you still have to put the shot in the right place and that’s down to you not the cartridge regardless of the price or it’s so called low end high end status

Last edited:
OK with your “very limited experience “ please tell me what a low end cartridge is when compared to a mid range cartridge, in my 40 plus years of shooting I’ve yet to find a cartridge that makes any noticeable difference to my scores, I’m sure that if you give the top shooters so called low end cartridges they would still beat most of the rest of us. you still have to put the shot in the right place and that’s down to you not the cartridge regardless of the price or it’s so called low end high end status
And I agree with you. I was simply considering lower cost as the difference between low/mid

Latest posts

Back