Suggestions for earmuffs or ear plugs for sporting clays

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P40warhawk

I am looking for a pair of earmuffs, either passive or active, that will not interfere with the cheek weld when mounting a shotgun for sporting clays. My current earmuffs are “Walker Power muff quads”, they don't have a good profile for use with mounting a shotgun. I have recently switched to just using a soft foam 3M earplug with a 33 DB noise reduction. Those work well enough but I would prefer something that is reusable and doesn't get contaminated with burnt powder residue if I need to remove them and reinstall them during a round of shooting. Do any of you have a suggestion for a low profile or slim design earmuff that will meet this requirement? I have also looked at custom molded plugs but have heard varying opinions as to the quality of the noise reduction. The home molded plugs seem to have varying degrees of reviews as to their noise reduction qualities, as well as comfort level. I'm in southeastern Michigan if anyone knows of someone, I can contact for custom molded plugs that would have a good comfort and noise reduction level. Thanks for your assistance.

20220930_093347.jpg

Sordin/swatcoms but their not cheap. I have a pair and don't have a problem with them catching the stock, and the electronics on them are very good.

Edit: get the gel ear cups though

Last edited by a moderator:
33A00A4A-9C3B-43DF-A31A-A9DC746AF1F3.jpegWhat Colin said ^^^^^ .  They are also MilSpec so are usable when it’s p***ing it down . I shot the best part of  250 cartridges  from gun down on a sim day a few weeks back no problem with gun mount .  Slim , Stereo , gel pads , work a treat . 

Yes, Swatcoms all day long. 

If you’re really hitting the cups, it MAY be a sign that your gun isn’t a great fit and your head is tilted over to align eye with the rib. Just check..

I am looking for a pair of earmuffs, either passive or active, that will not interfere with the cheek weld when mounting a shotgun for sporting clays. My current earmuffs are “Walker Power muff quads”, they don't have a good profile for use with mounting a shotgun. I have recently switched to just using a soft foam 3M earplug with a 33 DB noise reduction. Those work well enough but I would prefer something that is reusable and doesn't get contaminated with burnt powder residue if I need to remove them and reinstall them during a round of shooting. Do any of you have a suggestion for a low profile or slim design earmuff that will meet this requirement? I have also looked at custom molded plugs but have heard varying opinions as to the quality of the noise reduction. The home molded plugs seem to have varying degrees of reviews as to their noise reduction qualities, as well as comfort level. I'm in southeastern Michigan if anyone knows of someone, I can contact for custom molded plugs that would have a good comfort and noise reduction level. Thanks for your assistance.

View attachment 9134
Peltor Sportac’s are good, as are the bullseye’s if you want a non-acoustic version. I wouldn’t spend your money on Swatcoms, they’re ridiculously expensive and not really any better than Sportac’s. 

Whatever you choose I’d avoid anything with a Bluetooth capability. Not only is it something else to break but they can’t be used at ISSF events (if you shoot them).

Thanks for all the input, I will check into these options to see if one of them will work better than my current earmuffs.

I use SureFire EP10 plugs and find them very comfortable and efficient. Not sure how much they reduce noise but the difference is very noticeable when removed and someone shoots. On Amazon and not expensive

I use SureFire EP10 plugs and find them very comfortable and efficient. Not sure how much they reduce noise but the difference is very noticeable when removed and someone shoots. On Amazon and not expensive
Rated at noise reduction of 24db

The higher the number the better, but it's very hard to get a set figure, there are so many variables with hearing protection.

But I know something is better than nothing

I have had more ear defenders than I care to think about, from £500 Cens down to £60 Howard Leights. The Cens were rubbish and more trouble than they were worth. I now use a pair of Custom Fit Guards, fitted with the Ghetto Blaster speakers, and they are very good. I also have a set of Howard Leights and have fitted them with gel cups, they are about the only 'cans' that I can both hear with and do not clang on the gunstock. I am deaf after a couple of strokes, one of the side effects of deafness Is the inability to hear and after spending a small fortune on hearing defence, I have come up with the above 2 that seem to work. Only downside to CFG, although an excellent product and superb after sales service, the wait for them can be a bit prolonged.

Back