hibernate

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes - I took a complete break from October to February last year, and came back hungry and enthusiastic. 

This year I'm going to maybe shoot one a month, and some practice and then come back to things properly in Feb/March.

A few years ago I did two winter series, Southdown and Hornet - never been so cold and miserable, diminishing returns.  I'm not made for the cold and wet. 

I don't mind the cold, but wind and cold rain no thank you! Was meant to go to Oakedge this morning then looked out the window, stayed in and drove the Mrs mad until she resorted to taking the youngest shopping with her.

No barrowheath. It wasn't that windy when I left home but at barrow I think it was the strongest wind I've shot in. On a couple of stands I had to take a step back while shooting or I would have been over. One disadvantage of only weighing 10 stone I guess.

Four counties was so windy that at 6am they nearly cancelled. Unbelievable 99 by RF.. I was useless and also struggled last weekend in high winds. Also tough at wIndy RBSS on Friday. I need to find a style that suits wavering varying targets.. If it's really windy next time I may have a sofa day!

Four counties was so windy that at 6am they nearly cancelled. Unbelievable 99 by RF.. I was useless and also struggled last weekend in high winds. Also tough at wIndy RBSS on Friday. I need to find a style that suits wavering varying targets.. If it's really windy next time I may have a sofa day!
Will the only way is to keep going.  You are a good shot so a few more windy shoots and you'll have it done.  The wind at Westfield was exciting also!

Just for the information of those who do not do 'cold', I hung a brace of pheasants outside this morning prior to breasting them. After an hour they were full of blueflies, it is mid November !   :rolleyes:

Will the only way is to keep going.  You are a good shot so a few more windy shoots and you'll have it done.  The wind at Westfield was exciting also!
The battue over the pond was particularly interesting in the wind!

I don't mind the cold, but wind and cold rain no thank you! Was meant to go to Oakedge this morning then looked out the window, stayed in and drove the Mrs mad until she resorted to taking the youngest shopping with her.
That was my plan when I woke up, then I took a look through the window and saw the trees bending over so stayed in instead. 

I generally retry to shoot through the winter, but I do this for a hobby and getting soaked through isn't my idea of fun - don't mind cold but not rain and/or wind. 

Let me know next time you're at Oakedge, must say hello ?

I'm skinny, no heat retaining fat so I hate the cold, I hibernate during the winter.....

For those that do shoot in the rain do you take the action out of the stock and clean/dry inside after it's been soaked? 

ive never done it with my sxs but my sporter was bought from new and would like to keep it in good order.

Only got one of those!  Wasn't quick enough and my gun hold was wrong.
Were going shooting with a chap (Tony Hoskins judging by the vest)? 

If so, I was after you from the driven grouse butt stand (Stand 3?). I was going to say hello but didn't know if I heard the name correctly!

Were going shooting with a chap (Tony Hoskins judging by the vest)? 

If so, I was after you from the driven grouse butt stand (Stand 3?). I was going to say hello but didn't know if I heard the name correctly!
Yes, the hubby.  I hate driven makes me feel queazy looking up.  Say hello next time ?

just looked at some dtl results from sun. Who in there right mind shot dtl in that weather, what was the point ? Devastating scores in bad weather will not teach you anything other than not to do it again, madness Imo.

Back