What Shooting Method ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he may be on about Doug Vine ????? But where that fits into this thread , leaves me baffled!

"Looking hard at the target" is not a method in and of itself.  And until today on this forum, I've never heard it suggested as such.  

We Americans generally accept it as a highly desirable thing to do regardless of method.  In my humble opinion, the purpose is several-fold.  1. The more clearly you see the target, the better your subconscious registers speed, line, and distance.  2. The more you consciously look AT the target, the less you are likely to be consciously aware of the barrel and the less likely it is that your eyes will come off the bird at the time of firing.

In my opinion, your conscious "look" is the input, your brain is the computer, and your hands and peripheral vision the manner of output.

Supposedly King George told one of my friends (a top pro over here) that he looked at the target so hard that he imagined it would shoot back if he missed.  Wasn't there but it makes sense to me.  If not, its still funny!

Hope all that helps.

Best,

Rollin,

'Hard Focus' is banded about by David Radulovich and Gil Ash, possibly to lure unsuspecting Oil Billionaires into parting with cash ???  

Rollin,

'Hard Focus' is banded about by David Radulovich and Gil Ash, possibly to lure unsuspecting Oil Billionaires into parting with cash ???  
ha, yes, hard focus is a little known oil drilling technique.

On a more serious note, I got a call from Zach Keinbaum about this thread last night.  We both agree that "hard focus" or "looking hard at the target" is something heard constantly from Americans but not so much from Brits.  He surmises that average US targets are often harder to see than Brit targets and perhaps that's why it takes actual effort to see them clearly.  For example, we see plenty of edgy targets in strobing sunlight.   Sunlight, for you Brits who have never seen it, comes from a large ball of fire in the sky and can make targets quickly going in and out of shadows incredibly hard to focus on, especially when each tree casts its own shadow.   ;)

I know hundreds of shooters with excellent vision.  In fact, my own is an uncorrected 15/20.  I cannot see rings or dimples on a 40 yard target.  However, I believe the attempt to do so is valuable in shooting.  The attempt, in and of itself, leads to full mental focus on the target, to the exclusion of extraneous conscious thoughts of other matters.  And it lessens concious barrel awareness, etc.  

However, I believe the attempt to do so is valuable in shooting.  The attempt, in and of itself, leads to full mental focus on the target, to the exclusion of extraneous conscious thoughts of other matters.  And it lessens concious barrel awareness, etc.  
exactly

Last edited by a moderator:
 He surmises that average US targets are often harder to see than Brit targets and perhaps that's why it takes actual effort to see them clearly.  For example, we see plenty of edgy targets in strobing sunlight.   Sunlight, for you Brits who have never seen it, comes from a large ball of fire in the sky and can make targets quickly going in and out of shadows incredibly hard to focus on, especially when each tree casts its own shadow.   ;)
Not convinced there's much to this theory, Brits seem to have no trouble seeing sunny targets elsewhere in the world and certainly not stateside and by the same token US shooters appear perfectly able to see cloudy targets when they come over here.

I'm afraid the real reasons for things being said or asserted is probably much simpler than that, essentially people sometimes say stuff that sounds plausible or clever, it's sometime years later when they get disproved. 

question...

is it bad that I honestly couldn't tell you what method I use for trap? :oops:

it seems to be that I don't even see the barrels most of the time, and I just pull the trigger when it 'feels right'

could that be defined as the redneck/Cornish way? :lol:

if your scores are good then the fact that you don't know is very good.

if your scores are good then the fact that you don't know is very good.
to be honest, I haven't shot trap for a couple of months for various reasons, but at the time I was averaging 23 or 24 a round.

the mystical 25 straight still seems to be foxing me though.

need to get back on it tomorrow as I've set my sights on shooting for Cornwall next year. plenty of time to prepare... :angel:

good enough scores mate, keep on not over thinking it and 25 will come

"I'm afraid the real reasons for things being said or asserted is probably much simpler than that, essentially people sometimes say stuff that sounds plausible or clever, it's sometime years later when they get disproved. "

I have to mention that this one is dying a long death.  It is the essence of Churchill's style/method that he promoted in his books on shooting 80-90 years ago.  You know the one - it gets re-discovered and re-named about every five years.

And like so many other things - if you don't think it works or object to it in some other way, don't do it.  Devote your energy output to something useful for yourself.

just a thot

Back