What do you think you see

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

A friend in America has posed me this question.

What do you see as you shoot a target? Do you focus hard on the target? Do you see the target in soft focus and the muzzle in hard focus, do you see the rib, do you see the bead, do you see the target in hard focus and the muzzle in soft focus. Difficult to cover all the permutations but what he is really asking is what do you see when you make a shot.

His reason for asking is that he and others have been taught to focus hard and wholely on the clay. What is your take on your shooting method?

Difficult to know as it varies from bird to bird but I do know I rarely hard focus on the actual target, often where I'm actually firing which is almost never where the bird is at the time. I'd be very interested if someone could rig up a test and find out where the focus actually is at the moment of firing, I bet it'd be a revelation and blow yet another shooting myth.

Absolutely only see the front edge of the target (or at least that is the aim) As I take the shot I am sometimes aware of the front bead as it comes into vision with the target but not allways, I think it depends on the speed that I shoot it and the angle

Just thought we probably need to know what discipline people are refering to as it may alter the way we shoot.

My explanation obvioulsy refers to ABT-UT-OT

Last edited by a moderator:
I only see the target, no barrel, no rib, no bead. If I see anything other than just the target, then I will miss without a doubt. I only shoot trap, mainly OT.

I try to focus on the target, but am aware of the gap, so I must have the target and muzzle in soft focus, whilst concentrating on the gap.  I think.

Now you've made my head hurt.

Maxum, thank you for stating the obvious.

Hamster, precisely that is what I think we may be finding out, hopefully on this thread.

Les &ips, I would agree totally, on trap disciplines we are staring out into the blue yonder because we don' t know the height or angle, but once it is launched I think we consciously see the bead and muzzle and move it to the target. This may be why Trap shooters prefer beads because it leads the muzzles to locate the target? 

salopian

Yes this really is what I was trying to ascertain in my trap post re front beads.

salopian

Yes this really is what I was trying to ascertain in my trap post re front beads.
Over the years I've tried all sorts of beads, but I only use them to line up the gun before I call for the target. I cease to look at the bead or the gun before I actually call for the bird. If I do catch sight of anything other than the clay then I'm done for! :fie:

If I do catch sight of anything other than the clay then I'm done for! :fie:

Aye Les ..... you be doomed :)

Les &ips, I would agree totally, on trap disciplines we are staring out into the blue yonder because we don' t know the height or angle, but once it is launched I think we consciously see the bead and muzzle and move it to the target. This may be why Trap shooters prefer beads because it leads the muzzles to locate the target? 
Ok being serious......my view is that you should always be aware of your barrels in your peripheral  vision ....but that does not mean look at them....which would be fatal as we all know.

If your eyes are faster than your movement you will lose the clay...... and vice versa. There is a relationship to all the parts of the body used....they are all important, lose one and you most probably miss. Get everything right and Bob's your uncle.

I see the clay in soft focus but clealry see the space I am shooting into to intercept the clay (well maybe not so clearly according to my scores!!)

Very good question.

I shoot a fairly 'measured' style and therefore probably see the barrels in my peripheral vision a bit more than I should.

However I couldn't tell you what sort of bead there is on the end of my barrel after every shot  -  so I must be concentrating on the clay/bird most of the time! 

When I try and shoot really quickly it all falls apart -  as Nicola explained. 

Ok being serious......my view is that you should always be aware of your barrels in your peripheral  vision ....but that does not mean look at them....which would be fatal as we all know.

If your eyes are faster than your movement you will lose the clay...... and vice versa. There is a relationship to all the parts of the body used....they are all important, lose one and you most probably miss. Get everything right and Bob's your uncle.
Well that's it Nic, hand-eye co-ordination! If the eyes move faster that the gun one is in deep brown stuff! If the guns shoots where you look and your swing is faster than the target you should be OK....in theory! :hunter:

Well that's it Nic, hand-eye co-ordination! If the eyes move faster that the gun one is in deep brown stuff! If the guns shoots where you look and your swing is faster than the target you should be OK....in theory! :hunter:
Nope . The vice versa is if the gun moves faster than the eyes....you will also miss.

Honestly.....this is very simple trap shooting info...this is not really technical...!

I'm sure Fauldsy won't mind if I cut and paste this from the 'Maintained Lead' thread.

When I see the target, I instantly look with my eyes straight to the visual lead that I believe the target needs, if your hand/eye coordinator is half up to scratch then the gun will follow your eyes. I only ever really see the gun and target in my peripheral vision. This is also another reason that I remove the bead from the rib.

Make sense??

Rf

It makes sense to me. Looking hard at the target may be just the ticket for trap but I don't buy it for sporting shots that need 12' leeed.

Back