What do you think you see

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope . The vice versa is if the gun moves faster than the eyes....you will also miss.

Honestly.....this is very simple trap shooting info...this is not really technical...!
Exactly Nic. There are several variables, only one needs to be wrong as we both know only too well. Yes it's very simple trap shooting info indeed. But the subject seems to come up with regularity!!!!! :banghead:

Depends on the target. Long crossers,mount onto front edge and pull away. I see both in peripheral,but see the lead picture more.

Close and fast. Swing through until it feels right to pull the trigger,I generally only see a few feet lead on these,but it's probably much greater due to gun speed.

Teal. Swing through it's line until it feels right,same with driven....sometimes I can't see the clay itself on these. I go by feel,how fast the gun needed to be to overtake it,I only then see the clay when it breaks.....if the clay overtakes the barrel unbroken,I know I was behind.....if my barrels remain infront,I know I over cooked it....similarly,if it appears to either side of the barrel,I got my line wrong.

Close and slow. Measure the lead out,clay and barrel both in good focus.

Rabbits. Close and fast,swing through on instinct. Long. Pull away,both in peripheral.

I never use a hard focus,unless it's a trap type target......it kills my gun speed.

And breathe......

Depends on the target. Long crossers,mount onto front edge and pull away. I see both in peripheral,but see the lead picture more...
From my own perspective, little of your post makes any sense. The bit above implies that you are looking BETWEEN the clay and the muzzle? Good luck with that on a 12' leeed target.

You seem to be describing your leeed method mainly, rather than where your fovea is looking.

I see trees of green, red roses too. I see them bloom, for me and for you, and I think to myself - what a wonderful world. I see skies of blue, clouds of white. Bright blessed days, dark sacred nights, and I think to myself - what a wonderful world....

I see the clay in hard focus as I pick it up, I then move ahead of the clay into open air (sometimes the right amount other times not) the clay then gors into softer focus, then squeeze trigger. Never see the barrels or beed, only clay and air. Also shoot with both eyes open.

From my own perspective, little of your post makes any sense. The bit above implies that you are looking BETWEEN the clay and the muzzle? Good luck with that on a 12' leeed target.

You seem to be describing your leeed method mainly, rather than where your fovea is looking.
Well,on a target that needs about 12ft lead,I'll see about a 12ft gap between clay and barrel. That's 12ft at the clay,so at the barrel it's probably only 4 or 5 inches and it's easily all in the peripheral for me to see. It makes sense to me,and works.

Ah, that is the point. If you are seeing 5" at the barrel, you are looking at the barrel, or at least focussing at the muzzle.

Not trying to say you are wrong, it is just interesting how people perceive stuff differently.

The thread title says it all, what do you THINK you see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see it all. The clay,the lead and the barrel. I definitely don't focus on the barrel.

I see it all. The clay,the lead and the barrel. I definitely don't focus on the barrel.
Yes we all see it all, but the fovea (centre of eye) can only be in one small place at once. I think most of us don't realise where it is.

I saw a documentary where they rigged up a clever camera system to map the foveal view of a racing driver. It showed him scanning around but then staring at the corner apex just before he turned in.

We have discussed similar on many other threads. I agree totally with nicola with regards to being aware of barrels but only in peripheral vision. Look at anything other than deep space and yer doomed, doomed i say.

The above for trap not a ruddy clue about sporting or skeet etc

Richard Faulds to Louis Armstrong...sounds all good to me.  Simply put...You shoot what you are looking at not what you see.

I see the clay in hard focus as I pick it up, I then move ahead of the clay into open air (sometimes the right amount other times not) the clay then goes into softer focus, then squeeze trigger. Never see the barrels or bead, only clay and air. Also shoot with both eyes open.
This about goes for me too with some exceptions.These are teal,where I blot them out and low driven where I shoot straight at them.

Vic.

Yes we all see it all, but the fovea (centre of eye) can only be in one small place at once. I think most of us don't realise where it is.
There's more to this than meets the eye...

It might be expedient to leave the fovea centralis out of this particular discussion and keep to Sal's 'What do you think you see' question. It's very difficult to identify what the retinal image actually is because it's decoded in the brain which already has a mass of visual data from the previous few seconds. The brain is processing, relating & merging a phenomenal amount of information almost instantaneously and the sight picture we see is not necessarily the same as the retinal image. This is especially the case with moving objects (think frames per second video) and also with colour definition.

In a nutshell we are almost certainly not actually seeing what we think we're seeing.

I would say for me the clay drops into a softer focus at the point where I am going to squeeze the trigger and I am only then aware of the barrels in my peripheral vision, also when things go right (which as you know for me is far from always, but i'm enjoying trying to get there) I am looking for the second bird without checking if the first was a kill, but having said that this also depends on the type of clays presented.

I saw a documentary where they rigged up a clever camera system to map the foveal view of a racing driver. It showed him scanning around but then staring at the corner apex just before he turned in.
Now you have me thinking. I guess my focus flits from clay to lead picture and back again,while all the time seeing the barrels in peripheral.....all happens very quickly.

Now I know next time I shoot these I'm going to be looking for what I'm seeing and miss! Then......I'm going to blame you! :)

I think a lot of people here are confusing what they do and what they see, with what they are distinctly looking at. Just goes to show that we look subconsciously I suppose. I am a fairly analytical person, many are not, so I feel more certain of where I am staring. Could be wrong..

Whilst waiting I have been known to change position for a better look at the odd scorer.

I find that when i have shot Partictlarily well i have no idea what i did or when this i believe is proof that the best method of shooting is on a sub conscious level. Analyse the mount or any other aspect and your doomed.

I like the word doomed today, have yet noticed. Its like sesame street "today sesame street has been brought to you by the word doomed" :)

Back