What Shooting Method ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would this not then be described as 'Swing Through'?

But don't worry too much about a shooting method for Trap as it is only practiced by 'Old Men'.

Perhaps successful Trap shooting style could be called 'Disabled Dimentia'?
So, I'm guessing here, when a person here gets REALLY old then its time for them to start rifle shooting the targets with calculated leads cuz their reactions aren't up to instinctive shooting anymore, eh?  Like you prolly do?

yes rythm goes out the window when your pished

I have my own method.  See clay, shoot at it and watch it continue on its flight path intact and unhindered by my efforts.  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried shooting a couple of stands using swing through today. I hit a few but missed more I saw no lead on a target that I would normally give 3_4 ft weird but it felt very uncontrolled.

Swing through, done well is a very controlled method. The fact it seemed uncontrolled may account for some of your misses?

I would only use Swing through for closer targets and such things as close Partridges !

Swing through, done well is a very controlled method. The fact it seemed uncontrolled may account for some of your misses?

I would only use Swing through for closer targets and such things as close Partridges !
I think I use that quite a lot and to good effect.   Still really learning all the different ways, sometimes I am not aware for example that I am apparently using maintain lead but I think that's a good thing because if I did I would start calculating things which is not good.

You can play around with your hold points to increase/decrease the amount of muzzle speed when using swing through (closer to trap = larger swing therefore greater muzzle speed). You don't always need a big swing through, which can be hard to control.

whatever method you choose, the greater the acceleration of the muzzle relative to the target, the smaller your perception of lead will be.

I shoot I shoot 3 methods, maintain lead on fast close birds, swing through on medium distance, and tracking on long crossers etc. We used to say years age, "shoot the beak off" may be the same as "looking for the rings!" Diminished lead is a new one on me, but I'm sure every possible method had been tried before under a different name! Even "Christ how did I hit that one!" I use occationally, I call it the "haven't got a clue method!" 

As Ed says,  speed means a lot.  Define "swing-through".. A smooth pass through a target is one thing, a speedy lash at it is another.  Personally, I can't see reliability in a very fast swing, as it means your timing needs to be fantastic for consistent breaks.

I find the "follow through" method creates a certain space around you, which is always handy when there are large queues. :angel:

The first time i saw a very young ed s he shot a report trap bird with his gun movenig in the opposite direction to the clay and smoked it .Now what that method is called stumps me

The first time i saw a very young ed s he shot a report trap bird with his gun movenig in the opposite direction to the clay and smoked it .Now what that method is called stumps me
that's the reaction 'fluke' method...

Back