Injuries

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I put on your similar post on the smashingclays forum....

Cuff problems in shoulder, lower back pain, rotation injuries for knee and hip, tennis elbow.......it is all there for long term shooters. I find a few 36grms knock it all back in place again.....or not as the case may be. At the moment suffering shoulder cuff injury (from boxing) for about a year and knee problems due to arthritis being and old sausage. So after a period of time we are all ready for the scrap yard.

However the Olympic squad are given physiotherapy and exercises to increase supplness, core strength and recovery time............but 'the powers that be' will not share it for the general shooting public. Last time I requested that these were put as download papers on the CPSA website, I was told that it was not possible until after the Olympics as they did not want to give 'secrets' away to other countries....!!

Hmmmm they still have not appeared.

It is essential for all newbies or young shots to speak with a physio and get basic core strength exercises....if you do not want to end up like some of us older ones who have shot for donkey's years. Especially work that supports the back of the shoulder blades. Shooting is a sport where unfortunately we curled up leaning forward around the gun......and for stable shoulders we should have shoulders back....impossible!! So improve your core strength kids .....trust me in 20 years time you will be glad that you have used certain exercises.

Recoil affects everyone....whether they feel the effects or not. You only have to video yourself on slowmo shots to see how much the 'un felt' recoil is .....trust me...!!

I did a research piece some years ago. Basically filmed side on, from the front and from behind, did the shooting in shorts and T-shirt with spots stuck to the joints - when you slowed the speed of the video playback you could see the route of absorbed recoil, especially to the waist and knees - Nick (Wilfie) I will chat with you on this piece that I did - we looked at neoprene braces and the effect they had on reduction.
Thanks Phil, will be interesting to know more about this.

For all those with back pain (and those who want to avoid back pain), I agree with Nicola that core strength exercises are very important.

Last year while shooting I had a cartridge that didn't fire when I pulled the trigger and to my surprise (as I didn't realise I was doing it) my whole upper body twisted forward with my right shoulder moving several inches, I almost had to take a step forward to keep balanced.  Presumably I was applying a force to counter the recoil energy, so not only do you get the energy of the recoil going into your body but also the stresses put on muscles to counter it to stop your body being jolted around too much and therefore get on to the second target with a much steadier upper body.  A kind of double whammy if you will, which none of us need.

Good to see people are thinking about this, learning good posture etc. is beneficial in all walks of life, wished I'd learnt more about it in school it would have been a bloody sight more useful than algebra.

Tim

Agree entirely with nicola and wilf core strength exercises are a must for long term health. Too late cos i am allready knackered but i do them daily to negate further trouble

Agree entirely with nicola and wilf core strength exercises are a must for long term health. Too late cos i am allready knackered but i do them daily to negate further trouble
That is the problem for us now IPS, we are knackered because there was no one around to tell us all about this sort of stuff.That is why I hope all newbies and kids listen to what we are saying......

'We are what you will look like in 20 years, if you do not take the core strength seriously'

If you looked at all shooters currently who have shot extensively for 20+ years and put them in a line (sorry at the risk of getting the perves on here going ) with no tops on ...........you will see quite clearly that the shooting shoulder is lower than the other shoulder.

Hence one of the important things to ensure is that the muscles at the back of and underneath the shoulder blade are kept in good condition......or your shoulder over time will drop......and this adds to the rotation cuff problems.

Campers...... the shoulder area is lots of floating bits held together by muscles and ligaments etc......if one bit starts to go .....it affects the rest.

I cannot for the life of me understand why the Cpsa does not insist on these technical papers showing essential exercises, used by our Olympic squads, being available as downloads for the good of the members. It is such a simple thing to do.

Instead it seems that in shooting you can know all the secrets........when you pay to come to a lesson on it....! Or when you get in the Olympic squad.

We are building a 'great spirit' in the sport......!!

Hopefully sooner or later someone will make technical papers available to read......in the spirit if the sport.......and for the good of the youngsters and newbies, who might never be full time competitors....or have the finances to pay for information that might help delay injuries.

Last edited:
I am surprised there isn't more on injury treatment/prevention in shooting considering the amount of people who regularly shoot.

I am surprised there isn't more on injury treatment/prevention in shooting considering the amount of people who regularly shoot.
Exactly.It is there if you pay for it or get on the Olympic squad :smile:

I will have a hunt around and see what I can find....Once I understand a bit more abuot shooting, I'm sure I could come up with some good stuff.

I have had a lower spine weakness for many years,caused initially by a lifting injury at a clay ground.

Some years ago I was recommended to an osteopath who I now see regularly on a three month basis.

He put me on a 30 minute daily routine of exercises to keep my lower spine straight,strengthen my back and stomach muscles and to keep my knees and hip joints flexible.#

Without these I seize up and then shooting really screws me up.

Vic. 

Look forward to that Wilfie. I do stretching exercises every morning as directed by my physio but any info on what to do or not to do so as not to do any further damage to my sciatica and arthritic hip (both on right side) would be most welcome.

If you looked at all shooters currently who have shot extensively for 20+ years and put them in a line (sorry at the risk of getting the perves on here going ) with no tops on ...........you will see quite clearly that the shooting shoulder is lower than the other shoulder.
It's also true, and Wilfie may have something to add, that many "mature people" who don't shoot also have shoulder sag on their handed side. 'Er indoors being a good example and, despite being super fit, she also has minor rotator cuff issues with that shoulder too.

How well our bodies handle the wear and tear of life and sports is affected by many things, the gene lottery being one and lifestyle another. We all know what's good and what's bad in terms of diet, weight, exercise, smoking and drinking and I'm pretty confident that shooting isn't particularly prejudicial to our general well being.

I would certainly think that there are other sports such as rugby or long distance running which are way more damaging to the body than clay shooting.

Yep agreed, fencing for one as i found out. Neck, shoulder and knee problems now as a result. :(

Rugby and cricket have done for me....broken leg, ribs, fingers and nose. Concussion x3. ACJ Injury and 2 knee ops (both left knee) and at the ripe old age of 36 I am taking up shooting.... :)

It's also true, and Wilfie may have something to add, that many "mature people" who don't shoot also have shoulder sag on their handed side. 'Er indoors being a good example and, despite being super fit, she also has minor rotator cuff issues with that shoulder too.

How well our bodies handle the wear and tear of life and sports is affected by many things, the gene lottery being one and lifestyle another. We all know what's good and what's bad in terms of diet, weight, exercise, smoking and drinking and I'm pretty confident that shooting isn't particularly prejudicial to our general well being.

I would certainly think that there are other sports such as rugby or long distance running which are way more damaging to the body than clay shooting.
Well done Westy....you avoided mentioning big tits :smile:

Look forward to that Wilfie. I do stretching exercises every morning as directed by my physio but any info on what to do or not to do so as not to do any further damage to my sciatica and arthritic hip (both on right side) would be most welcome.
I'm sure your Physio is sorting you out well but happy to offer general advice when needed....

Cheers, she is brilliant. Had a session on thurs and it is now manageable again ish for now. Becoming difficult to differentiate between the sciatica pain and the arthritis as both on same side so have pain now in lower back, buttock, calf, groin and front of thigh. Oh the joy :)

Groin/front of thigh is more than likely to be osteoarthritis....deep nagging groin pain is classic OA. Best thing for that is to maintain the range of movement in the hip and keep the muscles around it as strong as poss.....if you decide to have a new hip at some stage, it should last 15-20 years...

Can't help you on the clay front as I haven't been shooting that long,but on the target shooting front,most of the 10m rifle shooters I know suffer from some form of lower back problem,probably caused by the stress put on it by the stance position and weight of the rifle,completely agree with Nicola on the need for good core strength in that respect.
I mainly shoot air pistol,and last year had a shoulder impingement,which inflamed the tendons,causing my shoulder to lock as I raised the pistol,I worked with a sports physio on exercises to improve this based on the motions gone through to shoot,it took a few months,but in the end worked really well,and have not had any recurring problems.
For target shooting you have to develop and tone specific slow twitch muscles,and there are some specific exercises that are very beneficial,if you can get a copy of the last NSRA magazine there is a very good article on this,if not I am happy to photocopy and post you a copy.
If you want more details of the exercises we worked out for my shoulder problem let me know,would be happy to talk you through it on the phone. Neale

Back