Injuries

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You get big/soft guys in all forms of sport just the same as you get little/tough ones... 

I think there's a bit more to it than that, I suspect it has a lot to do with how recoil is dissipated into and through different physiques, how much they grip the gun and where and whether for instance they instinctively lean into the shot or not. Big is good if it can take all the recoil without reaching that individuals threshold, I have an unproven theory that recoil can be absorbed into a big heavy shoulder whereas it pushes a lighter one away and since the shoulder is attached to the rest of the frame, then the whole frame is riding the recoil, another day may have had me put it into words more coherently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lower back pain for me. Shot FITASC last month and the pain started before the last layout and lasted for two days. I've had back issues for some years (had a microdistectomy in 2007) but recently it's taking the enjoyment out.

I plan to invest in the full ISIS damper and go from there. I'm convinced it's recoil related.

Deltoid muscle strains can be a pain (no pun intended) you can obviously pick one up doing many things and my guess is that it wasn't shooting that caused it, Deltiods are split into three heads and it could be anyone of the three causing pain, and usually more painfull when your arms are raised more so with the humerus coming up shoulder level. Having spent twenty years or more as a bodybuilder (packed in now) i suffered my fair share of deltoid strains and can only say they can take weeks months and even years to ease my advice would be to gently warm up shoulder muscles for five mins before shooting and raise the gun as slowly poss and eventually it will go but oddly enough you can suffer for so long that when the pain goes you don't even realise. :fan:
Trouble with these strains is they can sometimes happen without you knowing what caused it. Should respond well to physio though and your wife's partner's yoga teacher should have a selection of very effective excercises too.

Trouble with these strains is they can sometimes happen without you knowing what caused it. Should respond well to physio though and your wife's partner's yoga teacher should have a selection of very effective excercises too.
That can cause stiffness in other areas but tends to ease soon after! :maninlove:

The only treatment I know for carpet burns is bromide in your tea.... ;-)

Thanks for everyone's input though, it's all good stuff and interesting to hear. It seems there could be some mileage in Physio for shooters...

"shooters should warm up more before they start with bending, stretching and rotating exercises"

Now then Robert, THAT would definitely be worth a watch. Ground owners could even make extra money by charging a spectator fee to watch that in progress.

With the mixture of grumpy hairy arsed oiks along with supple nubile young members of the fairer gender that I see wandering around most shoots, that could be both the most hilarious thing ever, and yet strangely arousing at the same time  :nyam:

No offence to those fit and healthy athletic types  :gym:

How long have you got ............I will try and be succint

Had neck and shoulder problems for about 8yrs up to 2yrs ago but I think this was mainly a fencing related injury anyway it seems to have sorted itself out now since I retired from fencing (as in swords not garden fences) and had some intensive physio at hospital strapped to some sort of medeival torture thing that stretched my neck.

Recently developed arthritis in right hip, no idea if its work related or shooting related but I suspect its the fencing again.

Had sciatica since I was 20 so thats 2 yrs before I started clays so not the cause but certainly doesnt help, incidentally its been niggling for a few weeks now and been in agony for two days so physio appt at 4 this afternoon.

Oh did I mention my knees, there knackered too but thats a work related thing as is my high blood pressure :)

So to conclude I have various problems but none can be "directly" attributed to shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long have you got ............I will try and be succint

Had neck and shoulder problems for about 8yrs up to 2yrs ago but I think this was mainly a fencing related injury anyway it seems to have sorted itself out now since I retired from fencing (as in swords not garden fences) and had some intensive physio at hospital strapped to some sort of medeival torture thing that stretched my neck.

Recently developed arthritis in right hip, no idea if its work related or shooting related but I suspect its the fencing again.

Had sciatica since I was 20 so thats 2 yrs before I started clays so not the cause but certainly doesnt help, incidentally its been niggling for a few weeks now and been in agony for two days so physio appt at 4 this afternoon.

Oh did I mention my knees, there knackered too but thats a work related thing as is my high blood pressure :)

So to conclude I have various problems but none can be "directly" contributed to shooting.
Time to get that Will and testiment up to date ips its always a worry knowing who to leave guns to but rest assured your Beretta will be well looked after :spiteful:  (God bless i hear you say) its the least i could do!!  :thumbsup:

Chears Shaun your a real Pal :)

Recently went to GP with an eye infection, came out with high blood presuure (now on pills for it) high cholestrol (now on pills for it) and warned to pack in my beloved cigars, luckily the miserable sod didnt mention alchohol :)

So all that on top of sciatica and a dodgy hip, I am pretty much on the knackered heap.

Ian

Deltoid muscle strains can be a pain (no pun intended) you can obviously pick one up doing many things and my guess is that it wasn't shooting that caused it, Deltiods are split into three heads and it could be anyone of the three causing pain, and usually more painfull when your arms are raised more so with the humerus coming up shoulder level. Having spent twenty years or more as a bodybuilder (packed in now) i suffered my fair share of deltoid strains and can only say they can take weeks months and even years to ease my advice would be to gently warm up shoulder muscles for five mins before shooting and raise the gun as slowly poss and eventually it will go but oddly enough you can suffer for so long that when the pain goes you don't even realise. :fan:
Strained it rolling a 750kg cow onto her back with the vet, got her to the point of balance and she started kicking n thrashing about. Hurts like hell if I dry mount the gun, lift my arm level with my shoulder or above my head...don't feel a thing when I'm actually shooting!?!?

Strained it rolling a 750kg cow onto her back with the vet, got her to the point of balance and she started kicking n thrashing about.
From my experience Vets are like that mate, they like a good thrash about. Anyway what happened to the Cow ???

Displaced abamasum, roll onto back, open her up, sew it back into place, stich the wound, 1/2 hour job, £70+ drugs = healthy cow :p

Ha

ouch, your right Phil. 

I dont want some hairy arsed scotsman (no offence darky) rolling me on my back and doing god knows what to me. So on that basis I think a few lifestyle changes are in order :)

I did a research piece some years ago. Basically filmed side on, from the front and from behind, did the shooting in shorts and T-shirt with spots stuck to the joints - when you slowed the speed of the video playback you could see the route of absorbed recoil, especially to the waist and knees - Nick (Wilfie) I will chat with you on this piece that I did - we looked at neoprene braces and the effect they had on reduction.

Latest posts

Back