Adjustable Comb: Feels like home??

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermit

Morning,

I’m looking to trade in my 692 after 4yrs excellent service and move to a 32” DT11; a fantastic gun which I’ve gotten on well with recently.

Given that I’ve never had a shotgun with an adjustable comb before (and most Beretta’s roughly slot around me quite naturally) I’ve found myself debating whether to stick with a regular stock or look at an adjustable as an option. After all, the DT11 I have been borrowing has an adjustable comb, albeit not customised to me (not deliberately at least!) and I’ve had no issues at all.

A DT11 is obviously a superb piece of kit with a larger price tag so I’ve reasoned that, given the additional investment, it seems logical to allow for the additional customisation an adjustable comb allows, along with the barrel weights, balance etc to really ensure value for money and achieve as good/comfortable a fit as you can achieve with an off the shelf purchase.

I am under no illusion that I can create a “custom stock” with an adjustable comb and nor is it is within my nature to be a “tinkerer” once I’ve had an adjustable comb set-up (famous last words!!)…so I’m relatively comfortable with the main observations/feedback I’ve heard/read about having an adjustable comb and the potential pitfalls/limitations.

I just wanted to gather your informed feedback and experiences to see if there was anything else I’m missing here around adjustable combs, their benefits, limitations and shortcomings.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, as always.

Thanks all,

H

Last edited:
There is a chance you and your shooting stance are exactly the right shape for the standard gun. It’s actually more likely that you aren’t, so an adjustable is NEVER a bad idea (given that you can set it in non adjusted position if you want). It’s very easy to confuse “can I shoot this perfectly well” by contorting yourself a little, with “does this really fit me” which allows you best comfort and ease of mount, with eyes parallel to the ground etc.

I have found that as I need 3/8 cast off, that the ‘ ledge’ on the gun stock could be quite uncomfortable on my face . I still use the adjustable element for the comb height , but I had the stock cast . Now that’s just a personal thing with a particular Krieghoff stock , so I’m not saying it’s the way forward , just my experience with that stock .

I had a Browning with an adjustable stock and found that in the summer wearing a T-Shirt the stock would rub the inside of my upper arm when breaking the gun to the extent that the skin would be rubbing off after 100+ cartridges.

Do the standard stock dimensions work for you ?. You can add cast by having the standard stock bent and that maybe better than adding cast only at the face (via an adjustable stock) and not at the stock pad where it might be needed to fit the shoulder. You can't bend an adjustable stock because of the metalwork.

If the stock is too low in the comb then an adjustable is really the only way to go in terms of raising the comb.

The only other thing to add is that an adjustable comb does add weight in the stock - that may be a good or bad thing for you - and the amount is dependent on the system & materials used.

The bold bits are the only negatives I can think of.

Thanks all for the feedback.

As I mentioned, standard stock dimension are there or thereabouts for me which is great but I think the small adjustments enabled with an adjustable comb could potentially help go from a good natural fit to a great off the shelf fit.

Aesthetically I’d prefer a regular stock but for the investment, I think the extra 5% potential with an adjustable comb just about tips the balance.

All that said, I’ll have to see what comes up on the second hand market in the first place!

Thanks again,

. You can't bend an adjustable stock because of the metalwork.
Incorrect . Read above , I’ve had an adjustable Krieghoff stock bent . I’ve also had two non adjustable grade 5 Mirokus bent that have metal reinforcing tubes through the wrist . Adding cast , and lifting or dropping the comb height is done at wrist ( after temporarily removing the stock bolt supporting tube if there is one ) . What I would say is it’s probably only a solution for a tiny minority .

Last edited:
You did well Martin. Particularly with the Grd 5 Mirokus. The feedback I have had from two gunsmiths is that they won't risk doing it due to the adjustable stock metalwork adding stress during the bend. Also when sorting out my daughters stock I was advised to avoid the pretty wood as it is more prone to cracking when bent and is more likely to drift back. In both cases for me it was bent then fit the adjustable stock fitted.

The risk is always with the owner !!

You’re right Freddie , if it breaks , it’s tough , about £1200 for a grade 5 Miroku , and many times more for the Krieghoff wood . However when I took the Krieghoff to Brian Webster he was working on guns worth six figures .

Last edited:
Never bend a stock it’s never stays. Adjustable work well and on the dt11 it will need a serious re balance to make neutral
Hi Ben,

Assume you mean at the stock end??

Are fixed combs and adjustable combs comparable in weight?

Thanks,

I wonder…

Do you think a shooter would naturally mount their gun differently after it’s been rebalanced?

Whether conscious or not, is it reasonable to suggest that a change in balance, whether that be additional or less weight at either end, would affect the natural biomechanics on how your two arms function in synergy??

I guess what I’m musing is whether or not gun balance is a bonafide part of gun fit?? Does it/can it fundamentally change the sight picture??

Of course though, we’re talking ounces here so perhaps it’s totally negligible, all things considered!

Just a fun daydream to ponder…

🤔

Where should the gun balance? Is there a point where I should use as a fulcrum? Or is it down to “feel” when mounting the gun.
I’ve never modified the balance of my gun (rightly or wrongly

What discipline do u shoot

Latest posts

Back