Berreta Mobil choke options

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Venom73

Hi all.

Just been having a very interesting chat with a member here via pm regarding my choke options for a Beretta 687 (mobile fitament).

I am certainly still learning how to shoot a shotgun and my involvement in clays might be considered 'casual'. I like to shoot sporting at local grounds whenever money and childcare commitments allow and also assist a friend in pigeon and duck shooting.

My gun is m/c with 28" barrels...the only thing I'm not 100% happy with as would have preferred 30" but couldn't find one (I'm left handed). After playing with the factory chokes, 1/4 and 1/2 mainly I thought I'd boost my confidence with a pair of teagues (both 1/2s...not really into choke swapping mid round) super extended. After a few outings a friend suggested that perhaps my choking is a touch tight and by looking at my shots perhaps 3/8 would be best. Must admit 3/8 on paper seems to tick all the boxes. As an aside, I know it pretty unimportant but I'm not a fan of silver coloured extended chokes, find them a tad off putting.

So after your opinions please. Choices are generally between a pair of Teague 3/8 flush SS (gun balance is great so don't need to save weight particularly) or Muller U2s. Interestingly, the member I've been chatting to has some Mullers for sale but has been doing pretty much everything he can to talk me out of them. His general impression is that they're not particularly rugged, are too light and are generally over rated.

You wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks...

I saw a vid recently by Premier gun with a custom 694, they had Optima HP chokes in that , but they had had them DLC coated black….

Might be worth a phone to call to them to see if they help.

Thank you to the above. Both options look reasonable. But as far as I can tell its only Teague (in the UK) that offer a LM-3/8 choke and Muller with the U2 which from what I've read spans that range. If not, there's also Beretta's own 20mm extended chokes (in 1/4 or 1/2) or their 'game' range which seem pretty pricey.

The constriction marked on the tube can only ever be an approximation. In the good old days of English gunmaking the individual gun would be regulated with a particular cartridge so that it threw the correct pattern by percentage on a plate at a specific distance . Now you just screw in a nominally manufactured tube for a a bit more or a bit less density. You also probably are using a variety of cartridges ranging from 24gm no8 clay cartridges to 36gm 5 steel for duck which will all pattern differently . Given that , you’ve not really any datum to work on , so just stick with the 1/4 -1/2 and use your barrel selector for further (1/2) or nearer( 1/4) first shot . Ps . If the silver chokes are putting you off , you’re looking in the wrong place ! If you just think they look crap , fair enough .

Thanks all. Just read that the Featherlite chokes are only suitable for shot sizes 7.5 or smaller so that rules them out for me anyway.

Hi all.

Just been having a very interesting chat with a member here via pm regarding my choke options for a Beretta 687 (mobile fitament).

I am certainly still learning how to shoot a shotgun and my involvement in clays might be considered 'casual'. I like to shoot sporting at local grounds whenever money and childcare commitments allow and also assist a friend in pigeon and duck shooting.

My gun is m/c with 28" barrels...the only thing I'm not 100% happy with as would have preferred 30" but couldn't find one (I'm left handed). After playing with the factory chokes, 1/4 and 1/2 mainly I thought I'd boost my confidence with a pair of teagues (both 1/2s...not really into choke swapping mid round) super extended. After a few outings a friend suggested that perhaps my choking is a touch tight and by looking at my shots perhaps 3/8 would be best. Must admit 3/8 on paper seems to tick all the boxes. As an aside, I know it pretty unimportant but I'm not a fan of silver coloured extended chokes, find them a tad off putting.

So after your opinions please. Choices are generally between a pair of Teague 3/8 flush SS (gun balance is great so don't need to save weight particularly) or Muller U2s. Interestingly, the member I've been chatting to has some Mullers for sale but has been doing pretty much everything he can to talk me out of them. His general impression is that they're not particularly rugged, are too light and are generally over rated.

If you feel your half is too tight going to 3/8ths won't make that much difference, look at going to 1/4 as well as a possibility. There isn't a lot on a sporting course a 1/4 choke won't kill. Perfect for starting out with as well.

If you feel your half is too tight going to 3/8ths won't make that much difference, look at going to 1/4 as well as a possibility. There isn't a lot on a sporting course a 1/4 choke won't kill. Perfect for starting out with as well.
I use 1/4 & 1/4 for all of my clay shooting, IF, I encounter a 'long' target, I use a cartridge that holds a tight pattern. It is not the gun/cartridge combination that causes a drop in performance, but more an 'age' related thing ! 😄

Hi all.

Well I think if you can borrow a light mod and a 1/4 I’d try them and see if you can spot any difference. Either will be fine most rounds now only throw out to around 35 yards. Not a lot further but both will break way out past that 3/8 light mod is best all round choke but when I see the top top boys changing chokes it makes me wonder why more people don’t open up to gain an extra target. Or two

Personally I think you are overthinking this. If the leads in the right place in the case of most targets you will get a break whether you are using skeet chokes or full choke. Chokes should be fine tuning in my opinion and then not obsessively changing constantly.

If I ever get to The stage I'm only dropping one target out of a hundred I might start looking for that last tweak. But till then I think in my and most shooters cases it's not the gun, choke, cartridge that is the issue but the shooter.

Hopefully that didn't come across as snarky it wasn't at all, I have a tendency to be a bit gear obsessed with some things and try to offer advice to save others the hassle.

Latest posts

Back