Gunsafe keys? It's a secret!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so a double bluff type security arrangement then :)
Many a true word and all that.

Thanks to the police and others we keep using the word 'secure' but that's not the word used in the law, which is a small but important point. We are legally required to keep our guns in safe storage in order to prevent unauthorised access. This does not necessarily even mean a cabinet and certainly doesn't demand that a cabinet have twin 7 lever, double throw, double sided locks that only allow key removal when locked. Just for the sake of perspective: If I was determined to break into a cabinet I'd use an angle grinder. I doubt if there are many cabs out there that would take more than a couple of minutes so who cares how splendid the locks are.

Working out how to keep the keys safe and ensure that they can be located by executors should the worst happen, is not really a strenuous intellectual test is it?

Well that's it then. key safe will go in the bin and i will move keys to another place, no idea where yet. I have a safe in the bedroom but my missus has access to this.

Although my house has an ADT alarm  [ always on when out ] with an autodialler. Still do worry about security since being burgled a few years ago at a previous house.

To many thieving scrotes around. :prankster:

I think I've got this sussed - I just won't put my gun in the cabinet, then I won't have to worry who knows where the keys are!!

Damn, sometimes I even astonish myself with my awesomeness.  :preved:
Working on the assumption that any intruder is likely to be male the best thing is to simply lean the gun about a yard away from the gun cabinet, most of us seem to stare at but not see what we're looking for. :twitch:

Yes good point hammy. I too am a good searcher but a poor finder, according to Mrs ips :)

Working on the assumption that any intruder is likely to be male the best thing is to simply lean the gun about a yard away from the gun cabinet, most of us seem to stare at but not see what we're looking for. :twitch:
My wife calls it a 'man look'. Interesting article from Pet Easton in Clay Shooting about it..

The best place to hide something is in plain open view, people never look at the obvious, they want to look for something that is hidden.

I have been on too many searching courses and conducted too many searches when in the Prison Service not to know what I am on about..

Here is a weird example,,going on holiday ? leave your item stuffed up the backside of a dogs squeaky toy and leave on the floor, it won't come to a thiefs mind that there is no dog bowls or other bits about and that you don't even have a dog, for them to think oh lets look at that.

If you have been burgled, bet the freezer or the oven were not touched.

just saying

I think the important thing to realise is we must be responsible.

Please remember it is our duty to be law abiding and to observe the law. Please bare that in mind when being visited and interviewed by your FLO, it is their duty to be law abiding and to obey the law and to advise you accordingly. IT IS NOT THEIR REMIT TO MAKE THE LAW AS THEY FEEL FIT OR AS THEY GO ALONG.

Please do not allow anyone who does not legally have access to your cabinet know where the keys are stored.

Well that's it then. key safe will go in the bin and i will move keys to another place, no idea where yet. I have a safe in the bedroom but my missus has access to this.

Although my house has an ADT alarm  [ always on when out ] with an autodialler. Still do worry about security since being burgled a few years ago at a previous house.

To many thieving scrotes around. :prankster:
Keep the key safe where it is and locked.  If persons find the key safe, they may waste time getting into it...then either get caught or disturbed such that they leave.

On a lighter note, I was in Cumbria staying last week, I hid my precious items under the soap, no one down there would ever go near it eh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not something really to talk about in an open forum is how to store guns, though its is information readly available if wanted. Can we just say that when someone wants to break into your home then the guns are the last thing to take, too much work to get and then move on. Digital items are the money, iPads, led telly's, smart phones etc, apart from the artwork and jewels from Auntie.

Cons can get more cash from stealing new Tyres for an artic from a garage than robbing your house and taking your finest Purdey, and less of a sentence if caught.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many a true word and all that.

Thanks to the police and others we keep using the word 'secure' but that's not the word used in the law, which is a small but important point. We are legally required to keep our guns in safe storage in order to prevent unauthorised access. This does not necessarily even mean a cabinet and certainly doesn't demand that a cabinet have twin 7 lever, double throw, double sided locks that only allow key removal when locked. Just for the sake of perspective: If I was determined to break into a cabinet I'd use an angle grinder. I doubt if there are many cabs out there that would take more than a couple of minutes so who cares how splendid the locks are.

Working out how to keep the keys safe and ensure that they can be located by executors should the worst happen, is not really a strenuous intellectual test is it?
It is the word used in The Firearms Rules 1998 as laid out by the Secretary of State in which you are committing an offence if you do not comply with them.

"(iv)(a)the shot guns to which the certificate relates must at all times (except in the circumstances set out in paragraph ( b ) below) be stored securely so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, access to the guns by an unauthorised person;"

So it's as I said the definition of securely, completely open to interpretation, however watch that interpretation narrow if your guns are actually stolen.

It was only a suggestion, made in response to Les53 posting the question 'What happens if one dies and nobody knows where the keys are'

I did not mean to start a fight.

In response to the assumptions made about poor quality of safe and or installation, who would go to the trouble of securely building a safe into the wall if it were not of good quality? Not me. Of course it would be fit for purpose otherwise why bother?

So, to get back to Les53 original post in which he asked for our thoughts, you can either, do nothing, and let your family clean up the mess you left behind or you can do something along the lines of my suggestion which would put control over what happens to your guns where it belongs, whoever you left them to.

WHAT women buy handbags .......There not free? ...................
Urhmmmmmmmmm no your right buddy they are free, my mistake

Obviously I am not speaking English.

But please tell me (like your Argos safe) how did you know I was exercising Big Berth at the moment. She is 16.3 so I suppose could be considered a high horse. Where are you perving from as I cannot see you??
OMG 16.3 is a mere pony try 18 hands between your thighs not that is big! . :crazy:

Back