Gunsafe keys? It's a secret!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-5-key-combination-key-safe/77908?kpid=77908&cm_mmc=bingle-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CJumh-21_LUCFUnMtAodIk4Ahw

Buy and securely install a small wall safe with a combination lock, lock cabinet keys in safe. Include combination in your will, lodge your will with your bank or solicitor. Instruct your bank or solicitor to hand it over on your demise, tell your family what you have done. That should cover it.  
I keep my keys in a small key safe on the wall which has a 4 digit combi lock. Is this ok? When the FAO visited he said it was ok. Can any one clarify if this ok?

If FAO chap siad it was ok then I wouldnt worry, he should know.

Best wait for Clancheif to reply, although i'm sure he already knows what safe you have as he seems to know what i have 

Gary ....Clanchiefs post was on the money. Even though like me, he has his own way of saying it.....Buying a safe to put the safe keys in is total over the top boohoolooks.......just saying :smile:

Can I ask how long you have had your gun for?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-5-key-combination-key-safe/77908?kpid=77908&cm_mmc=bingle-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CJumh-21_LUCFUnMtAodIk4Ahw

I keep my keys in a small key safe on the wall which has a 4 digit combi lock. Is this ok? When the FAO visited he said it was ok. Can any one clarify if this ok?
In terms of the law it is as clanchief says keep the guns secure as far is reasonably practicable.

What is considered secure is open to interpretation,  I could get in that key box very very quickly and your cabinet is only as secure as that key box.  If someone stole your guns and the gun cabinet was untouched but the key box was ripped off the wall they may or may not take the view that your guns were not secure.

Aside from the legal implications I would not use it, if they have already got into your house that presents little difficulty.

In terms of the law it is as clanchief says keep the guns secure as far is reasonably practicable.

What is considered secure is open to interpretation, I could get in that key box very very quickly and your cabinet is only as secure as that key box. If someone stole your guns and the gun cabinet was untouched but the key box was ripped off the wall they may or may not take the view that your guns were not secure.

Aside from the legal implications I would not use it, if they have already got into your house that presents little difficulty.
Excatamento...!!

The trouble with the mechanical door locks are that all the right keys need to be pressed; but not in any order! So, smart folk know this and can see which keys they are by shining a UV light. Dont trust these locks for anything that matters.

I have a decent safe, bolted to the floor. It is electronic digital, so must be entered in sequence. No real chance of guessing that code. You will be amazed what you will want to store in a decent safe once you have one..

My worry is he was only a young guy, the usual FAO was off sick. He was only at my house for 10 miutes or so.
Oh well in that case maybe a phone call to your FA dept for clarification to put your mind at rest they are usually very helpfull on these matters

Gary ....Clanchiefs post was on the money. Even though like me, he has his own way of saying it.....Buying a safe to put the safe keys in is total over the top boohoolooks.......just saying :smile:

Can I ask how long you have had your gun for?

What has that got to do with anything? I simply reiterated what my FAO advised me and pulled him up on the drivel that he was posting regarding an argos safe.  

You put your keys where you want laddie. I could not care less whether you take advice or not. It is your keys your safe your gun....

To busy to be discussing further with someone who does not listen to what at least 3 of us are saying whilst trying to help you :laugh:

Nicola, if you would get off your high horse a second you would see that i have no disagreed with what anyone has said, only that chief had no idea of the type of safe i had. 

Obviously I am not speaking English.

But please tell me (like your Argos safe) how did you know I was exercising Big Berth at the moment. She is 16.3 so I suppose could be considered a high horse. Where are you perving from as I cannot see you??

To try and put things into perspective I think it really depends on if the Key safe in question is firmly attached to a wall and of good enough quality to do the job. If it is then the keys are secured away from the other members of the family in accordance with current guidelines and would certaily slow a thief down however arguably as has been said the gun safe is then only as secure as the key safe assuming that mr thief knows the keys are there. In other words it sounds like a good idea but in reality regardless of what plod says it isnt as safe as finding a very good hiding place for the keys and ensuring that no one else knows. As has also been touched upon, the fact that it might be a slight problem to extract your guns from said safe following your demise is irrelevent to you, and there are steps to take with your spare set etc etc 

My FAC officer advised me to get a small safe to store the rimfire bolt and .22 ammo separately, never mentioned keys to the main safe and even if he had I'd rather keep those hidden elsewhere. It's true Clanchief's original post is on the money, but sadly it's the wrong currency. There is no requirement in law to have a gun safe but to all intents and purposes having one makes more sense to the vast majority of certificate holders who can't or don't have an impenetrable gun room.

I think what people have to consider is what is considered secure, if the guns have not been stolen it is academic and given a lot of leeway. Once they have been stolen you start from a losing position by the fact they have been stolen and they were obviously by implication not secure.

Then comes the reasonably practical bit, if stored in a cabinet to a British Standard you will have been deemed to have done everything reasonably practical. If, however, the cabinet was opened with the key this then falls back on whether the guns were in fact secure.

Your best line of defence for keeping your licence is a mangled approved gun cabinet not a mangled £15 key box or even a safe.

But even this gets academic as they are going to insist on a few more security precautions before allowing you to keep guns again, but at least you stand a chance.

I think I've got this sussed - I just won't put my gun in the cabinet, then I won't have to worry who knows where the keys are!!

Damn, sometimes I even astonish myself with my awesomeness.  :preved:

I think I've got this sussed - I just won't put my gun in the cabinet, then I won't have to worry who knows where the keys are!!

Damn, sometimes I even astonish myself with my awesomeness. :preved:
so a double bluff type security arrangement then :)

Back