Storing Gun Cabinet Keys

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a locked "key cabinet" but with a label on the keys that says "Garden shed" rather than gun cabinet.

I keep my keys in the gun cabinet door that way I can always find them and not forget where I have put them................common sense really ! 
Of course.  I have a small safe with a combo lock for the guns and I wrote the combo on the top frame so I wouldn't have to remember.  Actually, I don't even lock it most of the time since it is such a bother to open.

Of course.  I have a small safe with a combo lock for the guns and I wrote the combo on the top frame so I wouldn't have to remember.  Actually, I don't even lock it most of the time since it is such a bother to open.
I have resentley changed my system I have started locking the keys in the gun safe ! Much safer and I know where they are !

I have a big dog and he looks after them. Just don't offer him food, a ball or tickle his tummy and he won't let you have them. 

.,  Google Tann TS4
That looks a good bit of kit but I had a large safe in my workshop for keeping test gear in. One Monday morning I came into work and it had gone they had used a JCB to smash through the doors and rip the safe out of the concrete floor taking a large chunk of concrete it was bolted to. It weighed around 2 tons so similar to yours.

That looks a good bit of kit but I had a large safe in my workshop for keeping test gear in. One Monday morning I came into work and it had gone they had used a JCB to smash through the doors and rip the safe out of the concrete floor taking a large chunk of concrete it was bolted to. It weighed around 2 tons so similar to yours.
You should never leave your keys in a jcb that's your fault !

I hide the keys. One issue that might have passed by a few people though, - Obviously only cert holders should have access to the gun(s) So if FEO ever does come knocking, and you're not at home, just hope the (in my case) non cert holding Wife, does not feel she's being helpful by "finding" the keys should said FEO require access. Can't see it ever happening in truth, but I have heard somewhere that is has. 

Also, it's been suggested that you ask a cert holding friend, if possibly ideally an RFD to keep your spare key(s). If anything unexpected happens to you, the guns are less likely to end up in a skip. Again, I'm not sure how this would pan out in reality, but worth thinking about? 

My FEO told me I was the only one who should have access to my guns.  I'm responsible for them and not even a friend or member of the family should have access to them.  I was speaking to the wife last night about what happens if I should die.  I said to her to phone the firearms licencing guys and inform them.  Then have a hunt for the keys and ask the local RFD to take charge of them, he'd keep her right on what to do.  

Let's face it, if I died tomorrow the last thing on her mind would be what to do with my guns, she'd be on the phone to my life insurance company and ordering in a case of prosseco before I'd gone cold.

Let's face it, if I died tomorrow the last thing on her mind would be what to do with my guns, she'd be on the phone to my life insurance company and ordering in a case of prosseco before I'd gone cold.
Tales of True Love are always so heartwarming!!!  💕

My FEO told me I was the only one who should have access to my guns.  I'm responsible for them and not even a friend or member of the family should have access to them. 
Just to be clear, I did not suggest a friend or a member of the family should have access, clearly that would be against the law unless they are also certificate holders as I said 😕 

So from what you're saying, your FEO would require you to have two cabinets if your Wife was also a shooter? Does anyone actually do that? 

So from what you're saying, your FEO would require you to have two cabinets if your Wife was also a shooter? Does anyone actually do that? 
Hubby and I are both certificate holders, and keep our guns in the same cabinet.  The FEO who visited us, and knew that the cabinet contained both our guns, didn't suggest that there was a problem with that.

Same as Phil and I, one cabinet and all our guns in it.  Firearms officer has no problem with it but we do have each other's guns on our certificates.  Our officer was more happier last time he came out that we were both there and he could see I was not a "battered" wife! 

Just to be clear, I did not suggest a friend or a member of the family should have access, clearly that would be against the law unless they are also certificate holders as I said 😕 

The FEO knew my wife wasn't a certificate holder and he was speaking about my individual case.  I'm sure if she was a cert holder it would be different but it does throw up the question of say she had a certificate and had one gun on her cert, and I had a different one on mine.  If we kept them in the same cabinet and both had access would that be breaking the law as we'd both have access to a gun which was not on our licence?

The FEO knew my wife wasn't a certificate holder and he was speaking about my individual case.  I'm sure if she was a cert holder it would be different but it does throw up the question of say she had a certificate and had one gun on her cert, and I had a different one on mine.  If we kept them in the same cabinet and both had access would that be breaking the law as we'd both have access to a gun which was not on our licence?
Many married couples tend to have their shotguns on each other's licences in my experience, it just makes life easier.

Yes, you can only have access to guns that are on your certificate, if you share a cabinet you should both have all the guns on your cert.

You can have duality of certificates for which is there is no charge, my Dad and I have this even though he is the other side of the country, just means that if we look after each other’s houses we can use the cabinet.

In respect of what happens when or if you go belly up.... How does this work for biometric safes?

In respect of what happens when or if you go belly up.... How does this work for biometric safes?
I suspect that an properly preserved appropriate body part required to open the safe would suffice but whether or not that would constitute the license holder participating may be questionable.

My FEO told me I was the only one who should have access to my guns.  I'm responsible for them and not even a friend or member of the family should have access to them.  I was speaking to the wife last night about what happens if I should die.  I said to her to phone the firearms licencing guys and inform them.  Then have a hunt for the keys and ask the local RFD to take charge of them, he'd keep her right on what to do.  

You can put a note in your will informing the executors/family/pet hamster where the key/keys are and it can then be opened in probate. Pretty standard.

Back