What happens in a post Covid-19 world?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McTrucky

In the absence of pub philosophy in these social distancing times, thought I would ask here, admittedly a bunch of strangers on the Internet,  but not a random selection of the great unwashed, but hopefully a more intelligent and socially aware group that most fac and sc holders seem to be.

I am not scare mongering,  I am genuinely interested in what people think happens in six or twelve months time.

Covid-19 will just become another background omnipresent bug, everyone will have been exposed to some extent and will have developed antibodies, so it will do the rounds like flu and some will get sick for a few days, some will not notice it and some will get quite poorly.  Vaccines will exist and will probably be offered to everyone who is vulnerable and it will become a combined "Flu and Covid shot".  In the west it just becomes background, in underdeveloped countries it becomes another malaria - something that kills many people but is ignored by everyone because it is just poor people who die.

But does everything in the developed world go back to normal?  Trillions of pounds/dollars will have been spent and public borrowing will be at an unimaginable level.  The tiny minority who are the mega rich will own this debt and will hold even more power than they do today.  Politicians will be more deeply in the pockets of those few.

The standard conservative policy may be "cuts and austerity and we can save our way out this mess" further distancing the gap between haves and have not.   Or will there be a return to the opposite thinking of "borrow more and spend more to stimulate the economy?"  Either way,  there will be massive social unrest.

And that is just the UK.  What about the rest of the world?  Will Americans just say "Shucks...  diseases have evolved for as long as there has been life so let's just get on with things" or will there be a more modern response of "Someone is to blame for this disaster and we will find and make them accountable".  

If there is a blame game, how many global leaders will be strong enough to say, "Sorry, the buck stops with me, and we were not prepared enough to cope with a pandemic which has been predicted for many years.  We did not have the infrastructure and ability to contain.  It has happened, and it is how we act from here forward that is important."

Or will, as I fear we are already seeing from Trump, diversion of blame, framing this as some sort of Chinese to be blamed and they must pay sort of thing.  The bug came from China (man made in a lab, or evolved through normal evolution randomness), it was not contained there largely due to lack of immediate recognition and response.  Or possibly a real world test that went wrong.

But where else in the world would that initial response have been better?  In the UK our response to disease in cattle over the last few decades has resulted in mass culls to isolate healthy animals to stop the spread.  You can't do that with humans (in this country at least).  With Covid-19 the public largely seem to think we can ignore it until it is really bad, then we can stop it spreading.  But that is not how isolation works.  Isolating after you have spread it is pointless.  We quickly saw the Chinese forcing isolation, spraying streets with hydrogen peroxide to do what they could to stop it spreading.  Watching that on the TV back in January, I knew that there was no way the west could act as decisively, or take such an economic hit to paralyse whole cities.  It may have been too late, but if you look at the US now, they are going to be facing a major disaster in about a month.  They have the perfect storm of 'Independent' people, aging population and significant obesity related problems combined with a health care system that does not lend itself to mass infections.  Italy has now locked down parts of Lombardy, you can only be outside for very specific reasons, but it is too late, it is too wide spread in those regions to stop it infecting more there.  Perimeter restrictions may stop it spreading if it is contained within that perimeter, but clearly that is also too late.

So do American politicians push the world towards international conflict in a blame game to focus public anger and rebellion away from themselves and onto the Chinese?  I heard US citizens are buying guns like Londoners have been buying up pasta.  They clearly feel the need to protect themselves from an increase in violence and robbery that will come in times of hardship.  In six months or so, there will be tens of thousands, possibly hundreds of thousand dead Americans, mass unemployment, and an enormous anger that needs to be calmed, or released.  

What can we do now to calm that anger, to stop it growing until it boils over?  Starting a blame game with the Chinese is not the direction we should be going in.  International cooperation and friendship is now more important than ever.

I think the biggest threat to American's and has been for quite some time are themselves, it shows by the panic buying of firearms, not helped by being led by a complete and utter idiot

Just mho though

So here's from the other side.

there are a number of McTrucky's points I'd like to comment on but that would actually be no less speculation than what he writes.  Nothing to be gained with that.  I must admit that the whole tone of the post seems to be that the US is somehow responsible for and leads the world.  I could be a biased reader no doubt.  Obviously nowhere is/was prepared including China tho they have spawned several similar bugs in the recent past all apparently tied to the live animal markets to which they took each time a very short term restriction approach and then decided not to bother.  I mean, if people want to eat live bats then ..............  Their current draconian response would seem the only practical way to deal with it but that extreme may not arise in the west tho it seems that Italy is trying.

AFA the US is concerned the comments related to the OrangeClown are certainly valid.  He is an idiot and demonstrates that every time he flaps his jaw.  And at this time he is pretty much alone in his castigation of China tho of course his pea-brained followers hang on every pontification.  AFAIC the true source of failure is in the simple fact that corporate exploitation of the markets does not include a future and providing for one is not on the schedule.   Since they own the pols that attitude is reflected in the direction of the government.  And the tribal divisions inside that insure that war prep and weapons tech (wonderfully profitable enterprises for worthy political donors) take total precedence over any silly health crisis preparedness BS.  The people themselves are of course like other western populations trusting of "their" government and as a consequence available to phuked over in a heartbeat.  And just looking around that seems to have been the general position taken by all of the western governments not just the US as they all seemingly are experiencing the same effect. 

Berating the American people as somehow essentially different than the populations of say Germany, France or GB is nothing less than simply silly.  Solar eclipses prompt a rise in gun sales hahaha  BFD.   The situation in the US may be different as a matter of scale but its coming at you too - no matter who/where you are and the immediate and long term effects will be the same.  Look around.  Wake up.

BTW - - - I do not expect it to end well anywhere but I'm pretty old and I suspect likely not to be around to see it

All JMO of course

and another BTW  I do not take any offense at your comments about the conditions in the US.  I suspect that the most of you know as little about here as I know about there and the general opinion of the US world-wide I suspect as well is less than good and prolly deserved.  I am well aware that I live in a kleptocracy and detest it.  And I know absolutely it will survive any crisis.

have a nice day

Well look on the bright side, at least on your side of the pond there will NOT be a bunch of idiots blaming it all on heather burning on grouse moors   !     🙄

Wonko, absolutely  no offence was meant.  Genuinely wondering what people are thinking.  I have been to more than half the states, and also been all over Europe, and relatively recently to China.  I love most places I go, and most people I meet.  Spent an evening with Trump supporters in NYC last year, and accept their view is as valid as the next person's. 

My post is entirely speculative, the sort of talk we would have over a beer as we put the world to rights.  No apology for that, it was the scene I set in the first line of the post.

The difference between the US, and other countries mentioned is that Italy, or the UK is not capable of going to war alone.  And the anger of the populous is usually directed inwards. The US has other options.  I suspect if this virus had started in Iran, it would already have been declared as a weapon of mass destruction and the country bombed flat, with full support and involvement of the UK, France etc.  But it is not Iran, it is a superpower.  And selfishly, that is the concern, any going down that road does not end well for anyone.

As I said, pub philosophy.   Thought I could ask the question here to have some debate and discussion while we are locked out the battle cruiser.

1 - Olympics - postponed to 2021 and then 2022 if they are not abandoned

2 - US elections?

My understanding of  some articles on The Constitution is that an attempt to delay an announced election is an automatic forfeit. The 20th amendment says it goes to succession at a certain date if a President has not been found.

But that is in the absence of a further amendment to the constitution which could be forced through given the balance of power currently in Washington, at the very least it will have the lawyers fighting over it for years so a bilateral power sharing alliance? Seems unlikely.

Some sort of rapidly deployed on-line voting, scary and all sorts of constitutional issues.

3 - As happened after the 2nd world war I see a massive shift in the relationship between people and work and money. Hopefully the current support for Healthcare workers, Truck Drivers, teachers and other service industry workers will continue. My brother agrees but is more pessimistic as he thinks in the pick up period people will be only too happy to be employed at any cost. I hope he's wrong. Those companies that stand by their workers will survive, the others will feel the sting of society as they are targeted for take-down.

4 - The airline industry will change dramatically. 50% or more of airlines will simply disappear. Your £299 week in the sun is a thing of the past. Again brother and I agree to disagree. he thinks we'll be hell bent on getting back to 'normal'. I hope he's wrong again. 

Lessons will be learned, I hope they are not forgotten too soon.

I don't want to start thinking about all the rest of the sh*t that is going to go down ...... far too depressing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Olympics needs to be pushed back.  No question.  But it fits in with a cycle of other events, such as world championships, Common Wealth Games, Football world cups etc.  Maybe everything gets pushed one year to prevent an overly busy 2021, and to avoid all sorts of clashes of TV coverage, training schedules, etc.   Maybe we just pretend 2020 doesn't happen and the typical 4 year cycles of major events just restarts in 2021.

Economy...  well I had a well paid job in the travel industry, which I took a three month break from which I could afford to do, but didn't expect to have difficulty getting a new job in Feb/March.  Wrong.  I am now thinking about getting my hgv licence renewed so I could drive trucks.   Also considering stacking shelves in supermarkets.  My son is stuck in New Zealand, flights back this week all cancelled - and the economy there will tank like everywhere else, so he has no real chance of any income.  

Interesting parallels with WW2, lock downs, fear of strangers, etc.  Maybe out the other side of this we will have a boom as confidence rises, we work together to rebuild industry, etc.  Agreed, perhaps best not to speculate about negative scenarios, but do think we need to be thinking how to avoid them, and to me, international cooperation, collaboration could lead to a happier future.

I tend to not try and think too far ahead to what will or what may happen I'm unable to change that so one less thing to worry about.

Just think about the now and try to stay safe and limit your exposure as best you can.

2 - US elections?
Not a problem at all.  Every state already has an in-place system for early voting by mail.  Plenty of time to scale that up and actually it may well be less expensive to do that than to run the general physical visit to vote as all of that infrastructure is way expensive.  Prolly even get a higher turnout as a consequence as well.

Spent an evening with Trump supporters in NYC last year, and accept their view is as valid as the next person's. 
Couldn't disagree more - views based on BS spewed by a BS Artist with no connection to reality have no validity.  Supporters of the OrangeClown I suspect are a manifestation of the degradation of the breeding population by wars and the disregard for education as something to be desired.  They are clearly as ignorant of any reality you care to mention and the OrangeClown is the personification willful ignorance and the term "ignoramus". and a pathological liar.  Not to mention that he even has difficulty reading a prompter and has the active vocabulary of an underachieving 12 year old.  He won the last election  by a quirk of the long antiquated Electoral College even in the face of losing the popular vote by THREE MILLION legally cast votes.

I'm pretty sure that is not JMO

Here are my hopes and predictions.......

1. The end of the throw away culture! Things will get repaired, clothes will be handed on, because money will be tighter.

2. The end of the junk food/overpriced coffee brigade. Not all food will be readily available, and no junk food outlets will be open, so families and youngsters are going to have to learn to cook. I think this will lead to a healthy eating culture and home cooked will be the new takeaway. I can but hope! 
3. The end of many airlines. I think that initially people will be scared to travel, as the virus lingers on in other countries. I hope this comes with the rediscovery of our beautiful countryside, camping, walking, etc. I then think the prices of travel will soar, no pun intended.

4. Family and neighbourhoods working together a bit more. A new respect for the elderly and the people around you.

Of course I am being positive, and looking at the better things.

I work on the front line and we are in for a bumpy ride. I have 2 trips of a lifetime booked and paid for, and I won’t be going on either, but if I come out the other side without losing friends and family in those high risk groups, then I will be happy. The rest is just stuff.

Stay well and protect those around you. 

much worse to come in the very near future  !!  lets try and survive it ,   and debate then !    a few of us could drop off our perches !!   :hmm:

Interesting article on political positioning

http://BBC News - Coronavirus: US-China battle behind the scenes https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-52008453

Talks about a political shift in global power, and ends by brief comparison to the Suez  crisis.

I do understand the "Let's get through this mess and worry about the future later" attitude.  But as a professional project manager, I tend to always hope for the best and plan for the worst.  In the last month we haven't bought loo roll, pasta or paracetamol.   Saw this coming in January and have a couple of months stock.  Also got camping stoves and gas canisters  (in the garage previously used for melting lead for casting bullet heads) to cover us if we start having power outages.  No extreme hoarding or extreme survival equipment, just some basics to see us through a couple of weeks, maybe a month of lockdown/whatever.

My point is, that with a little forethought many messes can be avoided, and selfish stripping of supermarket shelves need not have occurred.  And if the mess does not come, then there is no downside to having done some forethought and planning.  As a friend once asked, "We all have disaster recovery and business continuity plans at work to keep the business alive in the event of the unexpected, but why do we not have some domestic plans?  Are our families so much less important? "

Sorry, went off on one there....  and absolutely believe in control the controlable when in the throws of an issue, don't waste time or energy on what you can not control; but some speculation on how the future may unfold, and some thoughts on how to prepare or indeed influence it is sensible.

It's in my nature to always have a decent stock of food and other goods in the house.  I think I inherited the habit from my mum, who was probably like that because of her experiences of growing through shortages in London in WW2 and after (rationing went on into the 50s).  Knowing there was plenty of food in the house made her feel secure. If things that I use regularly are on discount, I'll buy more than I need and keep in stock until the next lot of discounts arise.  Not a doomsday prepper by any means, just like to know that I've got the essentials to hand.  I think after this a lot of people will start being this way.

Me too Jenny but for a different reason. We never had food in the house as a child! Now, I’ve always got something in.  Like you, we buy things that we always use but if they’re on offer will buy an extra one.  So we’ve not gone mad at all in the last few weeks, just a normal shop because I know if we can’t get out I’ve still got supplies in.  I started doing this the first year we moved to a rural place and the nearest shop was 5 miles away. If we ran out of milk or gravy etc it was tough luck, we went without. 

Im lucky we are quite rural and isolated where we are so going for a run this morning was normal, only other people we saw were other runners and everyone kept their distance

"We all have disaster recovery and business continuity plans at work to keep the business alive in the event of the unexpected, but why do we not have some domestic plans?  Are our families so much less important? "
Nothing less than ridiculous!  Get Real ! !  Of course people and families are way less important.  A perfect example of that is the so-called stimulus bill in the US Congress.  Fully TwentyFivePercent .... that is $500Billion .... is ponied up for the corps with little or no oversite on the spending which means that they'll be using those $ for buying back the currently depressed stock at bargain prices!  And CEO $Million salaries, and NOT prolly the workers that are just going down the road.  When that kinda money is being tossed around there is no way that the corp pigs and their pol lackeys are not gonna be first in line at the trough

Me too Jenny but for a different reason. We never had food in the house as a child! Now, I’ve always got something in.  Like you, we buy things that we always use but if they’re on offer will buy an extra one.  So we’ve not gone mad at all in the last few weeks, just a normal shop because I know if we can’t get out I’ve still got supplies in.  I started doing this the first year we moved to a rural place and the nearest shop was 5 miles away. If we ran out of milk or gravy etc it was tough luck, we went without. 

Im lucky we are quite rural and isolated where we are so going for a run this morning was normal, only other people we saw were other runners and everyone kept their distance
I'm on the edge of a village, but on a B road, so we usually have traffic passing but otherwise pretty quiet.  Traffic has been really low, but we're seeing more pedestrians at the moment.  Lots of people working from home going out for a walk for their daily exercise.  I think I always used to stock up, even when I was living in London, but having lots of storage space here probably means I do it more now.  We also used to rear our own pigs (and grow on our our turkeys for Christmas) and we only stopped doing that a couple of years ago, so I've got lots of freezer space as well.  I still tend to buy meat in bulk direct from local farmers, I'll often buy a whole lamb and freeze it.

Our neighbours rear rare sheep so I’m hoping to buy half or a whole one but they do have regular customers so not sure 

As Wonko points out, there is little chance of "the state" looking after all households in the event of a calamity.  We know this.  How could it work that way?  Localised flooding, sure send in the helicopters; but things will break down on more wide spread dramas.  But what can you do to protect you and your household (and neighbours etc if you are that way inclined).

Simply put, how long do you believe you may need to 'fend for yourself'?  A doomsday prepper may think in year's, and those who assume the state must provide will think in terms of hours.

Next, what do you need to survive that period?  A fully equipped nuclear bunker at one end of the spectrum, and a six pack or beer at the other.

For me, three weeks is probably is realistic, maybe a month.

So do I have enough food for three weeks?  Yes, you can live that long without food (if you are fit and healthy to start with), but some dried food, some tinned will make life easier.  Frozen is also an idea, but if the power goes, so does the freezer.

Water.  In Dorking (Surrey) in the last week the council was handing out bottled water because the mains supply had failed, and spare parts to fix were not immediately available.  Closing down the global supply chain doesn't just affect car builders, we could see disruption to water and other infrastructure.   And if you don't get drinking water you have about three days life in you.  So buy a couple of gallons of bottled water and put it away. (Or filters, or purification tablets.)

Power.  Sellafield nuke powerstation was closed down last week due to safety concerns due staff shortages.  We could be facing power blackouts.  In the UK we are coming into summer which makes heating less of an issue, but having a camping stove and fuel will give you hot food and ability to boil water.  Candles?  Battery torch?

Basic hygiene.   Soap, loo paper, tooth paste, washing up liquid, etc.   Don't need much, but you'll know when it runs out.

Communication.  Without power, can you charge your phone?  Do you have a battery radio.  Do you have spare batteries.

Transport.  Do you need your car.  Do you have any fuel in it?  Why not keep it topped up if you are totally dependant on it?

Cash?  If you end up needing help for anything, cash is king.  

And so on.  Think what you may need for your family for a few weeks disruption (medicines?)

This to me is pretty much common sense.  It avoids any panic buying, which saves any stress while also not taking things that others may need. 

Over the top to do this?  Maybe for some, maybe they have faith that others will risk life and limb to come to the rescue, but to me that is just plain selfish. 

Scaremongering? How...?  Suggesting that for minimal effort, expense and inconvenience I can keep those close to me sane and well in a disaster, and that others can do that too, and that will then take pressure off all systems when need is greatest.  This not hoarding, it is holding adequate supplies to avoid adding to shelf stripping pressure should shortages arise.

As I say, to me this is common sense.  Others will take it further, others will do nothing.  

And the downside of planning ahead....?  You lose a storage shelf.  You sit out maybe twenty or thirty quid.  Please ignore if you think I am a nutter, but hopefully you will think what you may need and maybe, just maybe you will save yourself a lot of pain and anguish should the worst happen.  

Latest posts

Back