Gunsafe keys? It's a secret!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les53

Further to another post on here which has mentioned the fact that we are not supposed to tell our spouses where we keep our gunsafe keys, what happens if one dies and nobody knows where the keys are? Is the spouse supposed to tell the police that there is a gun in the house and they have no knowledge of where the key is or what?

So then what happens, do the coppers come into the house and break into the safe and remove the gun? If they do that, then what do they do with the gun? The spouse could not sell the gun without a SGC anyway, but if the spouse were to inherit all of the persons posessions, would the coppers sell the gun on the spouses behalf? Any thoughts?

Mine knows where the keys are.  But as we both have SGC's and have each others guns on our certificates we're allowed.

Hi Les,

My son holds my spare cabinet keys in his gun cabinet and if I depart this world for another, he will probably take possession rather than sell it!

Is it possible for the gun owner to put the key location details in a sealed envelope and lodge with the Police FSO?  Along with details of a fellow shooter who could take appropriate steps to transport the gun(s) to an RFD for disposal or get the RFD to collect?

Inheriting gun(s) is one of the very limited occasions when you can be in possession of shotguns in order to dispose of them, either through the police or an RFD.

Another example is buying a house and finding a gun in the attic.

Sent from my Desire HD using tapatalk 2

That said, it doesn't answer the question about keys!

Just leave a note inside you cabinet saying where the keys are.... Simples

:wink:

That said, it doesn't answer the question about keys!

Just leave a note inside you cabinet saying where the keys are.... Simples

:wink:

Great idea Phil, I will sort it later.

Abide by the law.  If a person dies and you don't know where the keys are, then you angle grind or "Hot Spanner" your way into the cabinet or call a lock smith.  Then you call a dealer or SGC holding friend to take care of things, then you inform the Firearms people what has been done with them.

God Les why are you worrying about Pish, your not that old and infirm yet.

Or have you started your bucket list and not told us ?

Very interesting question this and one I have thought about many times.

I would think that a locksmith will get in no trouble then you get your local tame gun dealer to take em away and flog em on your behalf.

my understanding is you could leave a set of keys to your cabinet with your solicitor.  they don't have keys to your house so therefore don't have access to your guns.....

Very interesting question this and one I have thought about many times.

I would think that a locksmith will get in no trouble then you get your local tame gun dealer to take em away and flog em on your behalf.
You're avin a larf mate,

when we lived near Huddersfield we called one out because 'we' had lost my keys and Jude had left hers at her mums.

Conversation went something like

LS - Ooh, that's a bugger innit mert (with Birmingham accent) 

Me - yes, can you get us in please

LS - yes mate, gonnaraftertakeyerdooroffitsinges mert

Me - I thought you were a locksmith

LS - Ar am, can fit one in any door yer loiks.

Me - Goodbye, clown!

my understanding is you could leave a set of keys to your cabinet with your solicitor.  they don't have keys to your house so therefore don't have access to your guns.....
You can - if you want to pay his fees and storage charges (they charge to store things in their safe eg wills)

Further to another post on here which has mentioned the fact that we are not supposed to tell our spouses where we keep our gunsafe keys, what happens if one dies and nobody knows where the keys are? Is the spouse supposed to tell the police that there is a gun in the house and they have no knowledge of where the key is or what?

So then what happens, do the coppers come into the house and break into the safe and remove the gun? If they do that, then what do they do with the gun? The spouse could not sell the gun without a SGC anyway, but if the spouse were to inherit all of the persons posessions, would the coppers sell the gun on the spouses behalf? Any thoughts?

If you drop off the twigg suddenly, you will not be concerned aboot your gun safe, or owt else for that matter. Problem solved. :rabbi:

Phil*

Last edited by a moderator:
True enough Phil,

We're just being kind to the ones we leave behind.  Cos' we're like that! :scout:

Buy and securely install a small wall safe with a combination lock, lock cabinet keys in safe. Include combination in your will, lodge your will with your bank or solicitor. Instruct your bank or solicitor to hand it over on your demise, tell your family what you have done. That should cover it.  

its an interesting one.....I did hear one dealer who shall remain nameless once boast that a recently bereaved wife brought a gun into their shop for disposal. "oh these arent really worth very much....." said the dealer etc etc and then offered her less than ten percent of its real value, as she didnt know any better she sold it to him....

Now I would like to think that such behaviour is very much in the minority of those in the trade, however if you are worried about your dependants getting ripped off I suggest you will the guns to a close friend who can then dispose of them on your families behalf for a decent price.

I know of a top London solicitor who had his shotgun licence revoked because his wife admitted to knowing where he kept the keys to his cabinet.....

Some of the advice above is worth taking note of.

Back