What happens in a post Covid-19 world?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I think Italy have managed to keep the lights on so lets not get too worked up by this a, I mean this sort of talk caused the panic buying we've seen just lately imho

Last edited by a moderator:
I rather suspect that the world will never be, in fact can't be, ever the same again - the world of this time last year has gone forever as the human race has hit a problem that hasn't got an easy fix - throwing money/science/technology at the crisis will eventually resolve it but in the shorter term and I reckon we are probably talking 2-3 years and 10s of thousands of deaths still to come.  Expert guidance suggests that we will endure multiple cycles of lock-down/relaxation in the rules/lock-down..repeat as the virus works through the population and health services somehow address the challenges - or not.

For the survivors, let's say that 95% of the population live through it the will find the world of business and commerce will have changed forever.  Take the retail high street, that has been in steep decline with big names failing almost every week - was Laura Ashley last I think - well now those businesses have been forced to close - final nail in the coffin from which many will not recover from whilst the on-line enterprises like Amazon are still going strong and will likely continue to do so.

The advent of the Internet and near global high-speed data communications with much of the population having access to technology that can utilise it from mobile devices upwards is re-writing people's expectations of the work place.  I work for a Houston, TX based company with say 1400 people - the entire workforce, globally, is now working from home as are virtually all of our customer's staff too. When all this lock-down stuff kicked off the business went quiet for 2-3 days as people adjusted and now the daily activity level is back up - this is the new 'Normal'.

Personally when the crisis subsides I can't see the millions of staff across the world who have experienced home-working rushing back to the work place in the same way as companies will be asking themselves why they have so much office space when they worked perhaps more efficiently without it.  The environmentalists are already pointing out the pollution levels are falling across the globe, less travel by air/land/sea so there will be pressure to stick with the new way of doing things.

I'm really missing being out with mates and busting a few clays  - the social interaction and yet I already know that it most likely won't happen for many months to come and when life does resume it won't have the same structure that we previously assumed would last for ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I think Italy have managed to keep the lights on so lets not get too worked up by this a, I mean this sort of talk caused the panic buying we've seen just lately imho
Hi Colin, a few years ago I may have agreed with you.  But planning prevents panic.  Buying some essentials when they are plentiful does no one any harm, and when they become scarce you don't add to the demand as you planned ahead.  Do you go to a shoot and buy cartridges there everytime you go, or do you have a slab or more at home so it doesn't matter if they run out of red ones?  Same principle.

Interesting article doing the rounds on Facebook this morning:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-will-coronavirus-end/608719/

Expert guidance suggests that we will endure multiple cycles of lock-down/relaxation in the rules/lock-down..repeat as the virus works through the population and health services somehow address the challenges - or not.
Prolly not.  Vaccine generation is already well under way in a number of countries.  For those now who survive the infection or do not get it the expected cycles of the virus will likely be more aggressively dealt with by inoculation much like the current approach to flu but it will still be more of an inconvenience than anything else.  However the next one the Chinese cesspool ponies up may be less easily dealt with.   

hang in there

Charlie

I am trying to avoid dropping off 'my perch', by NOT climbing on it in the first place   !   😷

Latest posts

Back