Gunsafe keys? It's a secret!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its an interesting one.....I did hear one dealer who shall remain nameless once boast that a recently bereaved wife brought a gun into their shop for disposal. "oh these arent really worth very much....." said the dealer etc etc and then offered her less than ten percent of its real value, as she didnt know any better she sold it to him....

Now I would like to think that such behaviour is very much in the minority of those in the trade, however if you are worried about your dependants getting ripped off I suggest you will the guns to a close friend who can then dispose of them on your families behalf for a decent price.
She probably sold them for a bit less than she had been told they cost ;-)

One of the best signatures on any shooting forum I've seen was.......when I die,please don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

No one knows where my keys are hidden. Not a single soul, the dog did catch me putting them away one day but I swore that mongrel to keep mum, he nodded his approval and slinked of.  To be honest I did once think about what if but then figured I wont bloody care.  The receipt is in my plastic carry case along with chokes and oil etc so my executor would work out its value.

WHAT women buy handbags .......There not free? ...................

I think you should lodge the combination of the safe or a key/location with the solicitor holding your last will and testament, if you should die and your spouse isn't on the certificate then the Chief Constable of your area, I think issues a temporary sgc in your spouses name to hold the guns 'legally' until they can be sold.  It's an offence for your spouse to be able to access your gun cabinet if they're not on the same SGC.

Tim

Buy and securely install a small wall safe with a combination lock, lock cabinet keys in safe. Include combination in your will, lodge your will with your bank or solicitor. Instruct your bank or solicitor to hand it over on your demise, tell your family what you have done. That should cover it.  
I like this idea a lot...

Yes that's what I've done although I use a small 'keylock' box rather than a heavy safe.  I became concerned that other household members could hear where I put the key, perhaps by a particular squeak of a door or scraping sound of a draw or some other give-away noise which would help then locate the key if they really wanted to, after all if you can find the key so can they!  A little while ago here in Suffolk a man was in touble with the Police over this issue - they did not consider that hiding a key in your wife's old handbag in a wardrobe was sufficiently well hidden.  Hmm...

Why not read your SGC and under conditions of issue and holding the SGC, it tells you everything you need to know about keys and cabinets.

For those who just blab chinese whispers that they hear and surmise for themselves, there is no legal requirement under law for guns to be in a cabinet or if in a cabinet it is locked and the keys hidden. There has never been a POINT of law made in test that the keys to a gun cabinet are kept hidden.

Your requirement is to keep the guns secure as far is reasonably practicable.

I have a safety deposit box the spare keys in, it also has my personal documents..ie insurance , birth  certificate ect, wife knows where it is but can only ghain access on my death.

You're avin a larf mate,

when we lived near Huddersfield we called one out because 'we' had lost my keys and Jude had left hers at her mums.

Conversation went something like

LS - Ooh, that's a bugger innit mert (with Birmingham accent) 

Me - yes, can you get us in please

LS - yes mate, gonnaraftertakeyerdooroffitsinges mert

Me - I thought you were a locksmith

LS - Ar am, can fit one in any door yer loiks.

Me - Goodbye, clown!
Thats a Bludy gooood brummy accent mi mate. Nearly as good as mine  :lolu:

Had plenty of practice, one of my best mates is from near Cannock.

Sent from my Desire HD using tapatalk 2

Mine are in a combination safe on the advice of my Firearms officer
Here we go, because he says something you go and follow his words, Is the second safe built and approved to the same standards as your cabinet ? No it will be from Argos eh !  You have now reduced the probable 7 lever locks on your cabinet down to that of a combination that any Spanish baggage handler can open between cigarettes and toilet breaks.

So place a sticker on it that says here is my best stuff, a lock only keeps an honest man out, a hammer will open most things.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you had been in my house and checked exactly what safe i own.  :crazy:

I think clanchief has a valid point, its best to just hide the keys somewere.

As has been touched upon it is absolutely essential that the mrs / mr or kids do not know were they are. Plod may try and trip you up during a visit, I had one once who asked mrs ips  "would you please get me Ian's gun cabinet keys whilst we do the paperwork" the crafty begger, luckily she didnt know there whereabouts. 

Dont tell em pike

Last edited by a moderator:
Back